SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: interior Very unfamiliar with car and decided to let dealer do the work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
interior Very unfamiliar with car and decided to let dealer do the work

OK - Looking for some thoughts. I just got my car back from dealer (2003 SL55 AMG). They replaced the park lock solenoid which failed apparently and had me stuck in park. Very unfamiliar with car (though learning) so I decided to let the dealer do the work. After I picked it up from the dealer and drove it across town I realized that I was getting no heat in the cabin - even though engine was warm (not over heating) and heat turned up high enough that it should have been blowing warm air. I, just for grins, turned on defrost for windshield - still no warm air and now it only blows through the defrost vents even with windshield defrost turned off.

My first thought is that when whomever put it back together ( my reading indicated that the entire center console had to come out for this job) either missed some wiring connections, got them on incorrectly or something that has now buggered vents and heating controls. They all worked correctly prior to the shop work done.

Taking it back to them tomorrow, but would appreciate any input I can get on probable cause as I try to avoid yet another killer bill from the shop.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Charlie
Old 10-11-2016, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by charlie52
OK - Looking for some thoughts. I just got my car back from dealer (2003 SL55 AMG). They replaced the park lock solenoid which failed apparently and had me stuck in park. Very unfamiliar with car (though learning) so I decided to let the dealer do the work. After I picked it up from the dealer and drove it across town I realized that I was getting no heat in the cabin - even though engine was warm (not over heating) and heat turned up high enough that it should have been blowing warm air. I, just for grins, turned on defrost for windshield - still no warm air and now it only blows through the defrost vents even with windshield defrost turned off.

My first thought is that when whomever put it back together ( my reading indicated that the entire center console had to come out for this job) either missed some wiring connections, got them on incorrectly or something that has now buggered vents and heating controls. They all worked correctly prior to the shop work done.

Taking it back to them tomorrow, but would appreciate any input I can get on probable cause as I try to avoid yet another killer bill from the shop.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Charlie
they may have left something unplugged from your climate control unit (which gets completely removed and unplugged to gain full access to floor shifter). The likelyhood of this being unrelated is near 0%

good luck,
Chris
Old 10-11-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
No heat

Thanks - kinda thought that might be the case, god to have confirmation. Now - let's see what the dealer tells me....
Old 10-11-2016, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by charlie52
Thanks - kinda thought that might be the case, god to have confirmation. Now - let's see what the dealer tells me....

You are welcome.
I was going to post a picture of the connections on the back as I took quite a few pictures when I had my climate control unit from my 2003 sl55 out and apart last year (to repair and do some preventative maintenance) , but they are all pictures of the components inside (looking in with the top removed and various stages of disassembly) ....none of my pictures show the back (connector) side.

good luck with the dealer ... hope you have a good one.

Cheers,
Chris
latemodel21 Products
Attached Thumbnails interior Very unfamiliar with car and decided to let dealer do the work-20150507_113401-1-.jpg   interior Very unfamiliar with car and decided to let dealer do the work-20150507_083231-1-.jpg