SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

new sl63 transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL63
new sl63 transmission issues?

i just decommissioned my '09 sl63.
i am thinking of getting a '14 or '15 sl63.
i was wondering if the "new design" sl63 has any transmission issues?
my old car hesitated and jerked when going into 1st gear.
the problem developed after 7K miles.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Brief test-drive of new SL63 quickly (as in first 200yds of driving) reveals jerkiness/hesitation of MCT (most apparent in any <35MPH routine driving).

Am most amused that after all these years AMG is unable to solve the crappy MCT (seems just as bad as it was in early '09 SL63s). And still perplexed why AMG puts a buggy/lemony box in a 600+lb-ft car where a robust, smooth autobox in SportPlus mode easily delivers greatest risk-adjusted perf.

MCT/DCT may make sense in low-tq cars like SLS or GT where fast shift speeds are more critical to attempt to compensate for inadequate tq....but seem misplaced in any high-tq 63TT.

Various reviews of '15 S63 Coupe also complain of lower-speed jerkiness (and one assumes dying old-media stays mum on such negatives unless fairly obvious).
Old 09-19-2014, 05:49 AM

SL63
not what i was hoping for!
the tranny hesitation is not mentioned in the sl63 reviews i have read.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:49 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Major unsolved issue among anyone accustomed to newer V8 AMGs

Have several colleagues who lemoned newer (>'11) 63s w/MCTs b/c of its crap box (guys who had suffered initial MCTs in '09 SL63 and erroneously assumed later MCTs were somehow new and improved)

My sense is AMG (or P or F) tries to tell newbie custs that jerkiness/hesitation and occasional gearbox failures at speed/in traffic are part of the "track/racecar" ethos....amusing marketing vs insecure/inept drivers who don't understand basic engineering or driving or risk.....sadly, suspect many of the alleged engineers of these cos. also lack those basic real-world fundamentals, no matter how much alleged time on some theoretic track and even though their day job is to engineer vs real-world constraints of safety, reliability, useability and perf

Suspect MCT/DCT/PDK are worse in terms of reliability vs high-tq motors like 63TT, so the buggy/lemony low-tq NA63, SLS, GT may be somewhat less at risk....but any frequent user of any of these boxes has lived through their occasional failures/daily hassles...and would argue the wiser consumer simply avoids them....as some 5+yrs post-launch, no mfr has solved them....
Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 AM

SL63
i have several porsche vehicles. each has the 2nd generation PDK dct.

my 2011 panamara has 36K miles, with the lo torque, 6 cyl 300hp engine.
my 2012 911-s has logged 10K miles. it has a 400hp engine.

neither p-car has ever experienced any hesitation going into first gear, such as i noted on my '09 sl63.
curiously, my sl63 seemed fine until it had around 7K miles.
is the onset of lugging the same on the newer sl63's??
Old 09-20-2014, 11:41 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Not sure....

On the original '09 SL63s, when new, the cars were jerky/hesitating initially (much like quick test-drive of a '14 SL63 showed me recently), but seemed (per others who actually bought them; I had passed after an initial test drive) to worsen rapidly (as in <<5K mis)....but most of the cases I know more closely were of guys who live in City of SF where I suspect the steep hills further stress these dainty boxes esp when cold (and these were guys who had owned many new AMG/F over prior ~10+yrs, used in similar conditions....so reasonably comfortable w/weaknesses of the ole F1 boxes)

Also an unknown is how any of these dainty boxes hold up vs 600+lb-ft of modern 63s (recall NA63/SLS and most F/P have <500lb-ft...and even F12 only crosses 500lb-ft at high RPM)

I'd also observe that SF Peninsula has a commuter fwy (280) which may be arguably world's biggest daily tq stress test, where many cars w/weak tq and/or turbo lag, dubious gearboxes, etc are quickly exposed for their weaknesses.....a couple of these guys would routinely commute on this fwy from SF to SV; quickly realized latest CL63TT was perhaps worse than their prior '09 SL63...got rid of those 63s within few wks of deliv and then moved to CL65 (now waiting for 65 Coupe) to solve their commute issues

Would observe latest SL65 box (though a brilliant, generally smooth autobox w/down&upshift music) is somewhat clunky in, say, 30-0MPH routine urban decels....nowhere near as disturbing as any MCT/DCT/PDK...and has zero hesitation in any driving situation....but certainly not as smooth as last-gen CL65's 5-sp autobox in comparable urban commute modes.....

AMG struggles to solve software on old-tech autoboxes vs 738lb-ft motors, perhaps consistent w/every mfr's inability to solve MCT/DCT/PDK, etc esp vs 600+lb-ft motors
Old 09-28-2014, 04:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
'17 S63A4, '13 CLS4M, '99 CLK320A
Originally Posted by photonut
not what i was hoping for!
the tranny hesitation is not mentioned in the sl63 reviews i have read.
I suggest you test-drive one yourself. I drive a '15 SL63 and have no issues with my transmission's performance to date.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 AM

SL63
Originally Posted by BillyD
I suggest you test-drive one yourself. I drive a '15 SL63 and have no issues with my transmission's performance to date.
i tested a 2 year old sl63 with 10K miles.
it definitely had hesitation issues.
unfortunately the tranny problem is something that usually begins after 5K miles or so.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
The tranny in my 2013 SL63 is absolute garbage. It's jerky, confused and short shifts all the time. Makes the car miserable to drive unless you are going flat out....
Old 10-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
My E63S drives very well in all modes ... Sorry you guys are having issues
Old 10-03-2014, 05:18 AM

SL63
Originally Posted by emilner
The tranny in my 2013 SL63 is absolute garbage. It's jerky, confused and short shifts all the time. Makes the car miserable to drive unless you are going flat out....
has the dealer tried to fix the problem?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:23 AM

SL63
Originally Posted by WSH
Major unsolved issue among anyone accustomed to newer V8 AMGs

Have several colleagues who lemoned newer (>'11) 63s w/MCTs b/c of its crap box (guys who had suffered initial MCTs in '09 SL63 and erroneously assumed later MCTs were somehow new and improved)

My sense is AMG (or P or F) tries to tell newbie custs that jerkiness/hesitation and occasional gearbox failures at speed/in traffic are part of the "track/racecar" ethos....amusing marketing vs insecure/inept drivers who don't understand basic engineering or driving or risk.....sadly, suspect many of the alleged engineers of these cos. also lack those basic real-world fundamentals, no matter how much alleged time on some theoretic track and even though their day job is to engineer vs real-world constraints of safety, reliability, useability and perf

Suspect MCT/DCT/PDK are worse in terms of reliability vs high-tq motors like 63TT, so the buggy/lemony low-tq NA63, SLS, GT may be somewhat less at risk....but any frequent user of any of these boxes has lived through their occasional failures/daily hassles...and would argue the wiser consumer simply avoids them....as some 5+yrs post-launch, no mfr has solved them....
i am now leaning toward purchasing an sls roadster instead of an sl63. i tested a 2012 sls roadster with 12K miles and the tranny seemed to shift well. i would only consider purchasing a vehicle that is still under warranty. i would then extend the warranty.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 HARLEY FLHTK, 2013 SL550, 2014 S63
Originally Posted by WSH
Brief test-drive of new SL63 quickly (as in first 200yds of driving) reveals jerkiness/hesitation of MCT (most apparent in any <35MPH routine driving).

Am most amused that after all these years AMG is unable to solve the crappy MCT (seems just as bad as it was in early '09 SL63s). And still perplexed why AMG puts a buggy/lemony box in a 600+lb-ft car where a robust, smooth autobox in SportPlus mode easily delivers greatest risk-adjusted perf.

MCT/DCT may make sense in low-tq cars like SLS or GT where fast shift speeds are more critical to attempt to compensate for inadequate tq....but seem misplaced in any high-tq 63TT.

Various reviews of '15 S63 Coupe also complain of lower-speed jerkiness (and one assumes dying old-media stays mum on such negatives unless fairly obvious).
+1 Here, 2014 s63 downshifts and upshifts jerky and jumpy on lower speeds, i have appointment on the 3rd, and heard that there are some tcu updates released by MB hope that'll fix the problems, i do not enjoy driving the this way at all....