SL65 AMG Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the R230 SL65 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Just drove a SL65 BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS63 AMG, Mercedes C63 AMG (X2), Jaguar XJL, Mercedes CLS55 AMG
Just drove a SL65 BS

Wow! It's one of the most best looking AMG's to date.

But I think it would be extremely stupid of someone to spend 200K+ on it. Why? Well, number 1, it's the most uncomfortable Mercedes-AMG on this planet and number 2, it's torque isn't limited.

Just a quick review - Torque should of been limited because I was on the motorway and I tried overtake a car in front, I put my foot down and the TC went mad and slowed me down right to 50MPH.

It's acceleration is amazing in a straight line, but overtaking is literally impossible.

Being in the UK, there are bumps, pot holes and cracks in the roads (due to rain etc..)... I had to slow the Black down to a good 5 MPH to go over the bumps and when you don't see a pot hole in the road, god help you, your **** is gonna hurt for the whole week haha. I parked it on my driveway for the night. In the morning I woke up, got in it to go work and oh wow... Coming out of the driveway, the front splitter scraped against the concrete... Ouch! The seats are absolutely rock hard, theres no give in it either.

But, it's an amazing car, it looks sexy, flies like a bird, handles like crazy and sounds damn right angry! Only, I think the only BS I'd purchase, is the CLK63 BS.

-Zaman

Any thoughts on the BS are welcome, this is just my experience.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG 030
I am surprised to hear that. I had been thinking about trading my CLS63 on an SL 65 Black.
It doesn’t have the suspension lift on it?
Just a thought… Maybe have an Upholstery shop add padding to the seat??
I think it’s pretty amazing how much hp can be made after tuning it!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Mercedes CLS63 AMG, Mercedes C63 AMG (X2), Jaguar XJL, Mercedes CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by fn3423
I am surprised to hear that. I had been thinking about trading my CLS63 on an SL 65 Black.
It doesn’t have the suspension lift on it?
Just a thought… Maybe have an Upholstery shop add padding to the seat??
I think it’s pretty amazing how much hp can be made after tuning it!
Umm, it doesn't have suspension lift on it but the guy I borrowed it off said he was going to install a "Roberuta Lifter System" which lifts it by 3 inches off the ground.

Upholstery padding could be a good idea, but spending 200K+ on a car knowing that you yourself has to make it more comfortable, is a bit of a pain.

Don't bother trading the CLS63 for the SL65, I'd say, from owning a CLS63, it's far better.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 AM

MB, Porsche, Audi, VW
Originally Posted by MZB AMG
Wow! It's one of the most best looking AMG's to date.

But I think it would be extremely stupid of someone to spend 200K+ on it. Why? Well, number 1, it's the most uncomfortable Mercedes-AMG on this planet and number 2, it's torque isn't limited.

Just a quick review - Torque should of been limited because I was on the motorway and I tried overtake a car in front, I put my foot down and the TC went mad and slowed me down right to 50MPH.

It's acceleration is amazing in a straight line, but overtaking is literally impossible.

Being in the UK, there are bumps, pot holes and cracks in the roads (due to rain etc..)... I had to slow the Black down to a good 5 MPH to go over the bumps and when you don't see a pot hole in the road, god help you, your **** is gonna hurt for the whole week haha. I parked it on my driveway for the night. In the morning I woke up, got in it to go work and oh wow... Coming out of the driveway, the front splitter scraped against the concrete... Ouch! The seats are absolutely rock hard, theres no give in it either.

But, it's an amazing car, it looks sexy, flies like a bird, handles like crazy and sounds damn right angry! Only, I think the only BS I'd purchase, is the CLK63 BS.

-Zaman

Any thoughts on the BS are welcome, this is just my experience.
Great Car. Just enjoy it for what it is..
Old 06-10-2011, 11:09 PM

2008 E350 4MATIC Sport, 2006 Cadillac CTS, 2006 BMW X5
Kind of strange aspects to complain about...
1) It can most certainly overtake people... With a car as powerful as it, you dont need to floor it just to overtake... Thats just common sense.
2) The issue with the suspension is really a non-issue. The point of the Black Series cars was to create a stripped down, 'more track-like' version... Last time I checked, MB went to mechanical suspension instead of air or magnetic for the black series... Its built to go fast and handle like nothing else, more specifically, to handle at track-like speeds.

Take it for what it is. Its not built to be a fast, ULTRA-LUXURY car. Its a full out supercar. You want comfortable ride? Go grab an S63, or an S65... Thats what they are there for.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 PM

335i
Originally Posted by hicksa94
2) The issue with the suspension is really a non-issue. The point of the Black Series cars was to create a stripped down, 'more track-like' version... Last time I checked, MB went to mechanical suspension instead of air or magnetic for the black series... Its built to go fast and handle like nothing else, more specifically, to handle at track-like speeds.
I think that the fact that the same complaints aren't heard of in the CLK BS sorta helps the argument against the SL BS. These cars should still be somewhat road worthy, whether it be to drive home from the track or to have some spirited driving on a local back road. If you look at the CLK BS' seats, they're similar to the C63's and offer plenty of padding to soak up that harsh suspension.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
TC solution is easy , turn it off and leave big back ones
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by 02Drunkenup
If you look at the CLK BS' seats, they're similar to the C63's and offer plenty of padding to soak up that harsh suspension.
It wasn't supposed to be that way...

Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Not to be rude but your story sounds sort of....or exactly like the Top Gear review, from the traction problems, the uncomfortable ride to the scraping on the concrete. Again I'm not being rude I'm just curious because the similarities are exact.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Banned

MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Originally Posted by e500slr
Not to be rude but your story sounds sort of....or exactly like the Top Gear review, from the traction problems, the uncomfortable ride to the scraping on the concrete. Again I'm not being rude I'm just curious because the similarities are exact.
MZB AMG is Jeremy Clarkson :O
Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 PM

335i
Originally Posted by zneB-sedecreM
MZB AMG is Jeremy Clarkson :O
i just noticed your username was MBZ spelled backwards... for a while i thought it was some east-european phrase.

yeah clarkson is quite the MB man, one of the first SL55 owners, and a firm supporter and advocate of the CLK BS.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
i think the euro sl65 bs has the racing tub seats, but the us one has bolstered, more comfortable seats.

i understand that there are other differences geared towards the us model being more gt and less racy.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 CL65
Correct, the US version has modified stock SL seats that are more comfortable. Also, the factory spec KW coilovers are adjustable for both compression and rebound.

As far as the car slowing you down to 50 mph, I've never experienced that in my Black Series or any other AMG. Unless you were trying to floor it on a damp road....but that would just be foolish, which you hopefully are not.

Front end lift kits are available, and should have been factory spec, but that would make the car far more livable.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Originally Posted by MZB AMG
It's one of the best looking AMG's to date.

I put my foot down and the TC went mad and slowed me down right to 50MPH.

I agree on the looks hands down!

I ALSO agree about the power.

That's why I sold my SL55 and bought a GT-R.

After I added power to the SL it was undriveable. Too much spin and it took away from thew enjoyment of driving.

No fun driving a high HP rear wheel drive car. I don't want a highway monster. I want an ALL AROUND monster.

The SL55 was better stock.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by FLSL55
I agree on the looks hands down!

I ALSO agree about the power.

That's why I sold my SL55 and bought a GT-R.

After I added power to the SL it was undriveable. Too much spin and it took away from thew enjoyment of driving.

No fun driving a high HP rear wheel drive car. I don't want a highway monster. I want an ALL AROUND monster.

The SL55 was better stock.
Did you have a Quaife or any other LSD? Did you run stickier tires? It's not like there are SL55s running 900+ torque so I don't think it's that bad. THe GT-R though is much better in traction and when the HP becomes 800+ but there's ways to improve the SLs traction and driveability.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 PM

SL65 Black Series, '14 CLS63 S-model
Wow, the European version sounds horrible. My SL Black (Miami, Florida) is a joy to drive and has overtaken plenty of prancing horses and Stuttgart specials (specifically the Porsche persuasion). Seats are comfortable all day long, the ride is what you should have expected when purchasing a Black Series (or GT3, 458, etc...).

My only complaint is the lack of visceral excitement. My GT3 RS is half the "everything" (as I stated in another post) but a hell of a lot more fun than the Black, to drive. Too much control, too refined to be a proper super-car, and (at least in the US version), I cannot turn off the damn traction control and feel the shrinkage in my jockey shorts. Jeremy Clarkson had a lot more fun in the Black Series than I have in mine. Although, it is funny to pull next to "any" other super car and watch the person look over and start to melt in their seat. A very impressive look to the car, but a real bore behind the wheel (for a super car)...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:36 PM

the 'torque' issue would be resolved with some time and experience behind the wheel.