SL65 AMG Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the R230 SL65 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

sl65 BS rear spoiler error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W220 V12TT Land Yacht / W211 E55 Estate
sl65 BS rear spoiler error

Warnings all over the dash. the wing went up, but now will not lower. Anyone know how these systems work (electric or hydraulic)? and what the most common failure point is?....

Car is stored in a private collection and has failed with under 5K miles on the car.....Pretty pissed.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black, SL65 AMG Black, GL550 (X166), G63 AMG
Originally Posted by m3j0n
Warnings all over the dash. the wing went up, but now will not lower. Anyone know how these systems work (electric or hydraulic)? and what the most common failure point is?....

Car is stored in a private collection and has failed with under 5K miles on the car.....Pretty pissed.
I had the wing adjusted (it would intermittently remain in the down position) by my MB dealer in DFW. They had a sharp AMG technician work on it and it took a couple days with assistance from Germany to get it set properly. The wing now works perfectly. The system is hydraulic and is packaged in the two housings that protrude into the trunk area. I understand there are some microswitches that can get out of alignment,... BWTHDIK. As with all more complex systems, experience pays if you can find the right AMG mechanic.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W220 V12TT Land Yacht / W211 E55 Estate
I have star, any ideas on how I can recalibrate this myself?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 black series
I have a SL 65 AMG black series ,my spoiler has locked after ars battery has been drained for sitting too long. Once recharged spoiler rises and locks ,result is motor for spoiler malfunctions and dies. This has happened 5 times yes 5 times each time resulting in a new motor having to be installed. I have had two dealerships deal with it each time resulting in replacing spoiler motor which takes getting a part from Germany and usually 4 weeks to get the problem solved. This makes no sense to me battery will always eventually die so it is inevitable that i would need to replace the spoiler motor again and again ? I can't believe a car was designed this way. As of now ( 5 motors later ) no one from Mercedes has ever been able to fix it permanently nor ever contacted me ,even after I have asked for them to ,by the way I also own a GLE AMG ,and an SL 65 AMG , just ordered an GTC AMG ,I'm very frustrated with the way Mercedes has handled this or not handled this.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:40 PM

M3
Just had the same issue more or less. Wing is stuck on the up position and wont come down...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by m34jlp; 07-15-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:17 AM

CLK200
Originally Posted by Johncardone
I have a SL 65 AMG black series ,my spoiler has locked after ars battery has been drained for sitting too long. Once recharged spoiler rises and locks ,result is motor for spoiler malfunctions and dies. This has happened 5 times yes 5 times each time resulting in a new motor having to be installed. I have had two dealerships deal with it each time resulting in replacing spoiler motor which takes getting a part from Germany and usually 4 weeks to get the problem solved. This makes no sense to me battery will always eventually die so it is inevitable that i would need to replace the spoiler motor again and again ? I can't believe a car was designed this way. As of now ( 5 motors later ) no one from Mercedes has ever been able to fix it permanently nor ever contacted me ,even after I have asked for them to ,by the way I also own a GLE AMG ,and an SL 65 AMG , just ordered an GTC AMG ,I'm very frustrated with the way Mercedes has handled this or not handled this.
This is absolutely stupid....The motor for the spoiler doesnt fail of this reason
The rear spoiler is always extended when the battery dies and you connect an external source to recharge it.
The rear spoiler manual button (which is located right from the gear shift) will light up red and there will be a red message in the dashboard warning for the rear spoiler error
You turn the key on in the first scale and then you hold the spoiler button for 10-15 sec to reset it.
The the spoiler retracts back and it is ready to go...

Last edited by GiorgosVl; 04-09-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:13 PM

Stelvio, F10 535i, Integra
Originally Posted by GiorgosVl
This is absolutely stupid....The motor for the spoiler doesnt fail of this reason
The rear spoiler is always extended when the battery dies and you connect an external source to recharge it.
The rear spoiler manual button (which is located right from the gear shift) will light up red and there will be a red message in the dashboard warning for the rear spoiler error
You turn the key on in the first scale and then you hold the spoiler button for 10-15 sec to reset it.
The the spoiler retracts back and it is ready to go...

Thank you sir, this helped greatly! We've had one in a few times and another tech was getting it to work by replacing the AMG Drive unit in the trunk.