SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Roof won't go down.

Old 07-17-2002, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 SLK230
Roof won't go down.

The roof on my '98 has always worked intermittently. Last December, the dealer replaced a limit switch, and the roof operated off and on. Now, one month after the warranty ran out, it won't open at all. The trunk lid goes up, but the top doesn't move. The latches on the front of the roof are not actuating. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-17-2002, 11:31 AM

red bicycle
Two years ago, the rear window defroster stopped working on my 1996 C220 a month after it went off warranty...I don't remember the part that had to be replaced, but both my dealer and an independent Mercedes garage quoted around $1000 excluding labor.

My father spoke with our dealer (seeing as Mercedes dealers usually don't deal with 19-year-olds), and they replaced the part for free. I guess it was a goodwill gesture, considering we bought two cars from them and always serviced them there too. And it was only a month off warrranty...

Have you tried asking your dealer? Seeing that they already performed some work on your top, you can probably argue that they work they did under warranty wasn't effective.

I don't know...just telling you my experience. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2002, 09:49 AM

1999 SLK 230 K
I've had the same problem twice with my 230 -99, The trunk lid opened but the roof didn't move and when i tried to lower the trunk lid it wouldnt come down...

I got some help and tried to help both the roof and the trunk lid by pushing and pulling when operating the roofswitch but nothing helped.

Then i left it alone for about 10 min and when i got back and tried again the roof moved in place and the trunk lid closed...

i read later in the manual " the roofoperatingsystem can be disabled (by security reasons you can only manouvre the roof 5 times in a row). After about 10 minutes the roof will be functioning again"

Don't know if it helps, hope it does! Good luck!
Old 07-31-2002, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Most likely a bad microswitch in the roof mechanism. It was a really common problem with '99 models. My '99 had the problem several times, the trunk would open but the roof wouldn't move. It would always work a couple minutes later. The dealer replaced 3 switches and it never happened again.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK320
Roof won't go down

I had the same problem with my '99 and it was a microswitch problem. In my case it was temperature related. I was in Palm Springs at the time and the outside temp was up to 110 when the temp went back down to 90 or so it worked again. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the switches.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:17 AM

MB SLK 200 Kompressor , BMW Z4
my 99 slk 200 kompressor .I cant open the roof

Hi all!!
My cars Trunk moves but roof doesnt move...I wait for 3 min to open it , its really annoying and harmful for the mechanism i think.
What kind of switch did you change?is it mechanical or electronical problem? Some told me its mechanical and a part at the back which holds the trunk have to be tightened.He did once and it worked, now happened again.It sound like a mechanical problem, if it is electronical how come the trunk opens...nothing would operate there..which switch is that? Some services work in a dishonest way, unfortunately it happens.
I will go to the service next saturday and they will tighten the the leg which holds the trunk.(mine was right side)
Old 10-09-2002, 08:44 AM

I know only 1 switch..other 2?

Now i have the same problem, i changed the switch located at the right side of the trunk near the pump.It worked for a moment but now again roof doesnt move..Could you please tell me where other switches located.If you have some pic or drawing pls share with me.

Thank you!

Old 10-10-2002, 05:48 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
Well, I am now an expert in this topic, I had my 99 230 back to the dealers for 7 times!!!!

Apperently, there are 11 switches that works with the roof, anyone of htose malfunctioning can cause your roof stay where i's at.

The other problem might be the hydraulic clamps. These get stuck and it won't open the lock, thus your roof will not retract in to the trunk.

If your roof won't come out of the trunk, it is most likely one of the 11 micro switches.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:53 AM

Unhappy Maybe hydraulic clamps

Xyzpl , thanks a lot for the information.I went to dealer for 3 times so i think at least i have four times more
In test results 1 of the switches shown as not functioning so we changed it but as i said it is still not working properly.
The roof doesnt go up and also doesnt go in the trunk both ways, so i doubt if there is something wrong with the hydraulic clamps.Do you have any document or weblink or any kind of information about these clamps, i would like to know if they are visible .(i need to know where they are placed)
Thanks again for your respond

Best Regards

Serhan