SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: MERCEDES CAR PC project finally complete! With Pics! Working Post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Wink MERCEDES CAR PC project finally complete! With Pics! Working Post

CLK 430 CAR PC project finally complete! With Pics!

Finally finished my CAR PC project for the 430

Currently I have Intergrated in the CLK...

- 7" touch screen monitor intergrated in the dash that controls the entire system. (Photos Below)

- 3000 + mp3's to choose from, all organized by album/artist
- 80 + Movies Integrated (when I have time I'll add more)
- Option of Playing DVD's or CD's (slimline DVD/CD-RW drive)
- GPS Navigation with Voice prompts, speed Alerts, and all the other options a GPS system would have. GPS receiver mounted on dash in corner picks up signals.
- Bluetooth capabilities
- In Car Internet access, with web browser and onscreen keyboard.
- Phonecontrol.net database which sync's up with my motorola phone via bluetooth. It reads my address book, phone battery life and signal quality. Allows me to receive incoming calls through the car computer. Displays callers photo, phone number, and speaks name through car speakers. I can also make phone calls by clicking on a persons name from address book, or there is a manual dial pad on the
screen. Incoming calls can be transfered to the actual phone by pushing a button, or I can choose to hear through car speakers and speak through a microphone. SMS (Text messeging) can't get it to work yet.

- Mixer, that allows me to adjust bass, treble, volume.
- USB hub, which allows me to connect cameras, IPOD's, optional mouse, keyboard...etc

Working on....

- Connecting rear view cam so when car goes in reverse image is displayed on screen. Everything works, but I can't find a good place to mount the camera.

- XM RADIO - I'm still contemplating this because I rarely listen to the radio. So I might just scrap this idea.

- GPS online tracking, allows me to track my car's GPS signal online with detailed views and maps. (Then I can see where the wife goes when she burns out all my $2.49 gas..lol j/k) This is an online service I need to sign up for when they complete beta testing.

How car PC system works...

Well, when I turn the ignition key the system boots up in about 10 seconds. It pulls up my front end program which easily allows me to control all the features mentioned above via the touchscreen monitor (pics below)

At that point I can choose between MUSIC, MOVIES, GPS, RADIO, INTERNET, WEATHER...etc by clicking on the appropriate button or by verbally speaking the
command to the system. (IE. "Load GPS") I don't use the voice command system because it's not 100% stable yet.

When I turn my key off and leave the car, the system shuts down automatically in 30 seconds and doesn't resume again until key is inserted in ignition.

The actual computer is about the size of an amplifier and the motherboard inside it is the size of a dvd case. Hardware includes, 40gb laptop hard drive, 512 mb memory, with a 1ghz processor. Basically it's a standard windows based PC, but made
for use as a car PC. I have my pc mounted in the trunk behind rear passenger seat. Doesn't take up any space at all (pics below)

How about sound....

Sound is integrated through my factory speakers. At first I used the MBNZ system and connected it through a FM modulator. This allowed me to turn to 89.9 and my sound would come through my factory speakers. Volume can be controlled through MBNZ
radio or through frontend program. Just recently I changed out the Mercedes radio and put in a aftermarket radio and just used the AUX input for sound. The sound quality is alot better. Had to send radio back because it ws defective, so I am temporarily using the MBNZ system again. Changing out factory door speakers with Infinity reference and KAPPA series this week.

The Monitor...

The monitor is a 7" touchscreen VGA monitor which connects to any type of PC. It also has RCA inputs and 2 more video modes in case I wanted to display other video sources on the screen like an xbox, video camera...etc

I'm glad to finally be done working on the project, and I'm sure my wife is even happier. This is what the future holds for in car entertainment. Having this system is great and it makes things so much easier. Looking forward to taking a few road trips now...lol In a couple of years many of the luxury cars will have systems simular to this. With a CAR PC, the possibilities are endless. I'm barely scratching the surface. I think this would be a great challenge for any car enthusiast.

I've only had my 430 a little over a month and this was one of the first things I added. I wanted to be different and do something no one had done in a 430. I also added the Chrome headlight rings, Cluster Rings, Clear Side Makers with (Xenon Bulbs), Replaced Halogens with Super white h7's and h3's for the fogs. Waiting on my h6w's to come so I can see how they look. I've hear many horror stories on the
h6w's....lol

In the summer I'm going to get the H&R Cup Kit and lower it with some 19" rims with Camber kits. Thats about it my friends. If you have any questions regarding the car pc system for your ride, feel free to ask.

jtbeche came down in his really tight black CLK to check out the system this past Friday. Really nice guy, can come by anytime. He has some really nice mods. I'm sure in the near future he'll be adding a CAR PC and I'd be glad to help him.

Now for the Photos....

Photos of my Car

Photos of Monitor Integration

Photos of my CAR PC mounted in trunk

Sorry pictures are the best quality, but it'll do.
Scroll down for photos of Frontend Programs that controls everything.

Ok here are the photos of the Frontend program that controls everything...

Loading Screen

Main Selection Screen

Mp3 Selection Screen

In Car Internet Screen (Checking out the forums)

GPS Navigation Screen

Choose an Albums Screen

Mixer

Onscreen Keyboard
Old 01-07-2006, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
Uuuhhhh......

I am at a loss for words. That looks incredible.

For the GPS tracking, what GPS software are you using. I run a Garmin IQ and the s/w allows me to records "tracks" and those tracks can be reviewed at a later date.