SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: MAF Replaced, Loss of power/hesitation 2000 SLK230 70K miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
Need Help - Replaced MAF, now Loss of power/hesitation (2000 SLK230 with 70K miles)

With my old MAF, car drove fine but the CE light comes on. Cleaning the MAF fixes the problem for a while, then back to the same thing...Installed an after market new MAF, now my car runs very poorly with hesitation. Could it be a bad MAF, or do I need some form of calibrartion on the new MAF ? Any resources on calibration if that's needed ? Please help - this is driving me crazy!!!

Last edited by eozomaro; 09-10-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 PM

99 SLK 230 - US Model
Red face

Can't give you anyadvice about an aftermarket part, other than it may not work properly. I cleaned my MAF 3 tmes and the car always ran great; just that the CE light kept coming on. I put on a new BOSCH MAF ($300 in the internet), the CE light immediately went away and the engine runs as if it was new.

My brother is an auto mechanic and he usually advises to use OEM parts. They are expensive, but they work great.

That is all I can offer from here!

Good luck!!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:01 PM

2005 SLK 55
You may want to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 20 - 30 minutes. You'll then need you radio code to re-activate your radio. It could also be a bad jobber MAF.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you say aftermarket, did you buy just the MAF insert on ebay for about $150? There's a guy selling a MAF inserts there, claims its for an SLK but it's really designed for VW and will make the CEL happy but it will make your car not run right as it sends the wrong info to the ECU. A couple of people on the other forum were scammed by him.

Also, when you say you cleaned your MAF, how did you do it? The proper way is to remove the MAF, then remove the insert from the MAF (requires secure torx bits) and spray MAF Sensor Cleaner (not brake cleaner or carb cleaner) heavily on the gold wire near the tip of the insert to get it good and clean and then re-assemble it. Did my kid's SLK and 2K miles later, good as new.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:11 PM

SLK230
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
When you say aftermarket, did you buy just the MAF insert on ebay for about $150? There's a guy selling a MAF inserts there, claims its for an SLK but it's really designed for VW and will make the CEL happy but it will make your car not run right as it sends the wrong info to the ECU. A couple of people on the other forum were scammed by him.

Also, when you say you cleaned your MAF, how did you do it? The proper way is to remove the MAF, then remove the insert from the MAF (requires secure torx bits) and spray MAF Sensor Cleaner (not brake cleaner or carb cleaner) heavily on the gold wire near the tip of the insert to get it good and clean and then re-assemble it. Did my kid's SLK and 2K miles later, good as new.
Where do I find the clearner and torx bit ? Any link on the internet or locally in Sacramento area ?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 SLK 320 , 1970 Chevelle SS
The security torx bits you can buy at most hardware stores, also sears sells a screwdriver that comes with a bunch of different bits that has some of the security bits in it.

Ken
Old 09-21-2006, 09:41 AM

SLK230
Originally Posted by 70chevelle396
The security torx bits you can buy at most hardware stores, also sears sells a screwdriver that comes with a bunch of different bits that has some of the security bits in it.

Ken
Thanks, I'll checkout sears. What about the sensor clearner ?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 SLK 320 , 1970 Chevelle SS
I'm not sure about the sensor cleaner. I used the security torx bits to replace the alarm siren. I bought the security torx bits at Orchard Supply Hardware.

Ken
Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 AM

SLK230
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle

Hey Buellwinkle, which do you buy the MAF sensor cleaner ? Does the MBZ dealers carry it ?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:53 AM

'00/'04 SLK230 Designo Copper, '17 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Ultimate
Originally Posted by eozomaro
Does the MBZ dealers carry it ?
You don't want to buy anything from the dealer unless you absolutly have too! (You---> <---Dealer) You want CRC's Mass Airflow Flow Sensor Cleaner. I found it at Checker Auto Parts. Some Autozones carry it. You should be able to find it at a local parts store...about $6. If you can't find it, a good substitue is electronic contact cleaner. I also bought the torx bits at Checker.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eozomaro
Hey Buellwinkle, which do you buy the MAF sensor cleaner ? Does the MBZ dealers carry it ?
I got mine at Pep Boys but I had to hunt for it. Most clerks that work there can point you in the general direction but you have to look through a thousand cans to find that one. Here's a pic from CRC's website of what it looks like -