SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Fog Light Bulb and Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Light Bulb and Removal

Hi.. i need help with the fog light bulb for the 1998 SLK 230 Kompressor.. anyone know what type of bulb it uses? also, i hear that there are 2 bulbs on each side? is this correct? anyone have any guide to take the fog lights off?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi from memory.
Open trapdoor panel in wheel well, remove cover off back of light, undo wire clip, bingo
Use tape on corner of door when closing as they can open up and get ripped off by tyre

Bazzle
Old 04-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
95 E320 cab, 81 300D,, 83 300D
Tape/Other Attachment

Bazzle is right about the tape. I just bought an otherwise immaculate '99 Sport 230, with a missing drivers side foglight assy. I replaced both with some aftermarket HID lights I bought at NAPA. They look great, and are probably inferior quality, but for $50 I couldn't resist giving it a try. All works so far, and I didn't even have to put in load equalizers, which the CLK I have always requires - very resistance sensitive. I did not tape those access doors, and lost one on the highway the next day.
By the way, If anyone is interested, I do have the drivers side foglight complete assy. w/ bulb (all functional) for sale.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Bulb and Removal-frontlight1.jpg   Fog Light Bulb and Removal-p4170070.jpg   Fog Light Bulb and Removal-p4170071.jpg   Fog Light Bulb and Removal-p4170073.jpg   Fog Light Bulb and Removal-p4150060.jpg  

Old 04-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Almost a Member!

fog lights

I have a questions about replacing the lens. I have replaced the bulbs before but the right fog lens caught a rock and broke. I can barely fit my hand in that little hole, let alone see how to replace the lens. I even took the wheel off and still couldn't get my head between the well and the rotor to see in the hole.
Anyone replace a lens before?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:43 PM

Try to see if this helps
Undo screws in pic, clip lens off

Bazzle
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Bulb and Removal-fog-lamp-1.jpg  

Last edited by bazzle; 04-21-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Originally Posted by Sold-on-MB's
I have a questions about replacing the lens. I have replaced the bulbs before but the right fog lens caught a rock and broke. I can barely fit my hand in that little hole, let alone see how to replace the lens. I even took the wheel off and still couldn't get my head between the well and the rotor to see in the hole.
Anyone replace a lens before?
There are 2 screws holding the assembly in the bumper. You can take it out through the trap door that you use to change just the bulb. I had mine broke a couple of times and got just the lense at the dealership. There are clips that hold the glass one. It is not that hard to swap the front glass and replace the assembly.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:35 PM

2001 SLK320, 6-speed, black, two-tone black/tan interior.
Speaking of replacing the lens on the fog lights, I have installed new headlights on my 01 SLK320 that have the non-cloudy lenses and I think they look great. Does anyone know if you can buy the crystal clear lenses for the fog lights and, if not available, if the whole fog light itself with the clear lenses is available for sale? Thanks, in advance.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 PM

In addition to replacing the fog light lens... Here are the procedure that I use to do in replacing my BMW fog light lens that a friend of mine gave to me...

1. Remove the protective covering from your new fog light lens. Simply submerge the lens under hot water and peel the protective film form the lens.
2. Simply remove the existing fog light lens from your car..
3. Remove the existing damaged fog light lens by carefully chipping away the old lens from the unit. Also remove the previous fog light lens adhesive until there is a smooth surface in which to place the new BMW lens.
4. Apply a thin bead of sealant around your fog light lens so you can apply the new car lens.
5. Promptly place the new fog light lens in the appropriate space where the old lens was removed. Hold in place for several minutes.
6. Finally, simply refit the lamp into your car..

Hope this helps.. Good luck!!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:30 AM

Another way to get to the fog lights is to remove the headlight and it is accessible in the space left.
To remove headlight unclip and remove corner indicator (hides a screw under)
Undo top and side screws
Unlug loom

Globe in 1998 non sport is H1.

Bazzle
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
95 E320 cab, 81 300D,, 83 300D
Crappy autozone lights

I just wanted to add that the current foglights on my slk were bought from Napa for $45 (I know that's a sin - but not my first). I was going on a trip and didn't want to drive with just one foglight, so I figured it was good cheap, temporary fix. Even crap should last a week, right. They are shown in my initial posting on this thread. One bolt installation took about thirty minutes. They are a small oval light with a blue tinted cover. A little ricey in the box, but I think they looked great after install. My "temporary" install occured 4 months ago. Lights still work and I didn't have to put in load equalizers like I did on the CLK to keep the bulb out warning off.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SLK 230
Fog Light mystery

Originally Posted by bazzle
Try to see if this helps
Undo screws in pic, clip lens off

Bazzle
I don't know where you got this diagram, but mine were completely different. 1998 SLK 230. There were two bolts that had to be accessed from the bottom (almost inaccessible) and a couple of pegs that held it in place. Once I figured out how to get it loose, changing the lense was a breeze.