SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Spare Tire (donut) question.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Tire (donut) question.

Here's the deal: I own a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire, which shares many of its parts with the '98-'03 SLK. My Crossfire does not come with a spare tire and none is of offered through Chrysler. Crossfire and SKL rims share the same bolt pattern and offsets, so it stands to reason that an SLK donut will work for my Crossfire.

I'm confused about what comes on the SLK. One Mercedes parts guy I spoke to said it had a collapsible spare, and another guy said it was a standard donut. Which is correct?

It would be a HUGE(!!!) help if a few members could tell me the year/model of their SLK and the size of their donut tire (ex. 155/70/16 or whatever).

Thanks!

Josh
Old 07-07-2007, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK comes with an inflatable spare with a pump that plugs in the cig lighter and special bolts (can't use the normal wheel bolts, severe damage will occur, I know personally). It goes in a well that's sized for it under the carpet. I would imagine it should work for you as the trunk space in the SLK has to be more limited due to the hard top.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crossfire uses diff diameters tyres front to rear. Thats why no spare.

SLK spare is 25" diameter pumped up . If you get one as Buell said get the bolts that come with it.

Bazzle