SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: How long in terms of months can you go on without an oil change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 911 Turbo
How long in terms of months can you go on without an oil change?

It's probably been close to a year since my car had it's oil change. I bought it into the dealer 3 months ago, but they said that the car indicator will go on if i needed the oil change. He checked the gauge and I think it said like there's 7500 miles to go, but I'm starting to get worried since it's probably over a year since the car had an oil change.

We hardly drive it though, ever since our daughter was born 10 months ago. There's only 23,000 miles on the car.

Anyone think the dealer is wrong, and I should have the oil changed anyways?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
I know that my previous 1999 SLK230 went for 2 years before the FSS indicated a service was needed. I bought it new in February 1999 and the service indicator finally said the first service was due at 10,000 miles in February 2001.

I changed the oil myself at 1K miles (after break-in) and again at 5K miles (midway between service visits), so it wasn't really an issue.

I'm a bit paranoid about going 10,000 miles or more between oil changes. That's why I changed the oil myself at 5K miles with Mobil 1. I'm less worried about going 12 months or more between oil changes, but it's still an issue.

BTW, supposedly, there is a maximum time the FSS will allow before requiring service, regardless of the miles driven since the last service. I'm not sure what that is, but I think there's a different time period for each of the 3 types of FSS that are used in various model year SLKs.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:12 PM

'01 911 Turbo
Thanks Brian_170. I've probably only driven the car 2500-3000 miles since the last oil change. I'll wait till the end of the year for the next one, but still seems like a long time for me.

Anyways, thanks again.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:19 AM

slk230
Smile

i just read your commend, i just want to tell you that then you said you used mobil 1 just want to make sure it not the mobil f-1, because if you use this you have to keep using this,,,,not suppost to change the product it not good to the engine if you do, the mobil f-1 is very good oil but you just have to keeping using it.....i just wondering if you know......fish

Originally posted by Brian_R170
I know that my previous 1999 SLK230 went for 2 years before the FSS indicated a service was needed. I bought it new in February 1999 and the service indicator finally said the first service was due at 10,000 miles in February 2001.

I changed the oil myself at 1K miles (after break-in) and again at 5K miles (midway between service visits), so it wasn't really an issue.

I'm a bit paranoid about going 10,000 miles or more between oil changes. That's why I changed the oil myself at 5K miles with Mobil 1. I'm less worried about going 12 months or more between oil changes, but it's still an issue.

BTW, supposedly, there is a maximum time the FSS will allow before requiring service, regardless of the miles driven since the last service. I'm not sure what that is, but I think there's a different time period for each of the 3 types of FSS that are used in various model year SLKs.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
I check the FSS on mine just after I bought it and it's set to 9,990 miles(left to go). With Mobil 1 time isn't so much a factor as with Dino oil were it was 6 months 3,000 miles. And since most people who own SLK have another car as a daily drive the SLK do see too much milage.

NP
Old 12-09-2002, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Originally posted by fishvdo
i just read your commend, i just want to tell you that then you said you used mobil 1 just want to make sure it not the mobil f-1, because if you use this you have to keep using this,,,,not suppost to change the product it not good to the engine if you do, the mobil f-1 is very good oil but you just have to keeping using it.....i just wondering if you know......fish
I've never heard of Mobil f-1. I was talking about Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil.