SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: AUX in R170?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor
AUX in R170?

Has anyone heard anything about a DIY for an auxilary input in these cars? I have a w203 and it was like a 20 minute job....Just wondering if there is something similar I can do with our R170.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Does your SLK have a changer? If so and you are willing to lose use of it for an AUX-IN then it's pretty easy.

Start by pulling your radio (probably an Alpine) and examine the DIN connectors where the MB wiring harness attaches. Should be 3 stacked DIN connectors if you have a changer. [Note: Make sure you have the correct radio code before disconnecting the power.]

Normally labeled A, B and C where A is for the radio controls (power, etc.), B is for the speakers and C (top one) is the changer controls.

I have attached an image of the type of connector needed. Radio Shack probably won't have these small ones so electronics supply store (MarVac?) or online.

I have attached a pinout for a similar radio. I'm assuming that MB does not use a different wiring harness for each radio brand but has the radio manufacturers conform to MB connectors. The pins you are looking for are #1, #2 and #3 on the C connector. Sadly, Becker NA has removed the pinout diagrams for it's radios.

Take an old stereo patch cable with a 2.5mm pin on one end. Cut off the other end (usually 2.5mm pin or RCA stereo plugs). Solder a connector to each signal conductor (#1 & #2). Make one of the connectors with ink, tape, etc. to distinquish left and right channels. Combine the two grounds and solder a connector to those.

Once you get it hooked up use the balance feature to check left/right channels and switch #1 and #2 as needed. It's a good idea to provide some strain relief although the connectors attach pretty tightly to the radio. When you want AUX-IN select the Changer mode.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails AUX in R170?-auxinconnector.jpg   AUX in R170?-beckerpinouts.jpg  
Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 75,xxx miles, 1998 SLK230 250,xxx miles
Check out bipes http://bipesauto.com/SLK/mp3%20adapter/ plug and play, you keep your cd changer as well.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by leapyfish
Check out bipes http://bipesauto.com/SLK/mp3%20adapter/ plug and play, you keep your cd changer as well.
That's good to know. But don't you think a 6 disc CD changer is obsolete when you have a 8GB iPod attached?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
I know this is an old post. But please help I want to do exactly what recommended.
just need a clarification. These new pins will goto the back of the radio so the harness from cd changer just will be unconnected? Does radio recognize the auxin as cd?
Can I instead of new pins connect to cd harness wires 1,2,3 and reuse it by plugging it to the back of the stereo?.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Guys. Cheap and easy if you don't use the cassette.
Take out the radio head unit and remove the top. You will need radio keys or the top of a margarine tub cut into strips 7/16 wide with a sloped end and about 3 inches long.
Buy a $5 cassette adapter and install it in the slot.
Feed the wire inside the right side of the radio as you look at it, across the back and out the space between the cover and the left side. There should be no wire outside the radio case at this point.
Feed a fish of some kind up from the passenger foot well to connect this wire to and gently pull it into the foot wheel. Slide the head unit back in gently. When latched gently pull the rest of the wire down into the foot well.
In the roll top box in the right front corner under the liner, drill a hole large enough to pass the connector through. Note you may have to cut the wire on the adapter and splice in some extra wire. If you do, solder the joints and tape well.
Fish the connector through the hole pull the wire into the storage compartment.
Tuck the wire under the trim along the tunnel so it is out of sight.
Turn on the radio and push the cassette home.
Connect your iPhone, iPod or MP3 and your are good to go.
Downside?
IF the belts in the cassette player break you will have to replace them for it to work. So far no issues for me and the sound is good.
With my iPhone 5 and top up using a Proclip holder I have a hands free operation as well.
Just don't push eject cassette!