SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Wiring for sub woofer amp on SLK 320 (R170)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring for sub woofer amp on SLK 320 (R170)?

Hi,

I'm putting an aftermarket stereo in a 2001 SLK320, and I can't get the subwoofer running. I suspect I have wired this wrong or am using the wrong aftermarket adapted.

The deck I'm using is a Kenwood KDC-X995, with three sets of low level preouts, a front, a rear, and a "subwoofer" (which I'm assuming is the same signal, just governed by the internal crossover):
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ivers/KDC-X995

The wiring harness I'm using is the Metra 70-1786:
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WRQG2).

The stock wiring head unit harness has two ISO connectors for the factory head unit. One is a square with the power and ground leads and what looks like low level inputs, and one connector is an ISO connector with 2 rows by 5 (2x5).

The Metra 70-1786 wiring harness plugs easily into the larger, square connector, with no problem. I wired the Metra harness to the Kenwood, and though the Metra harness had two sets of RCA outputs, only one set is necessary to run the front speakers in the doors. Plugging the other set of RCA inputs into the Kenwood preouts, either in the "rear" or the "subwoofer" set, has no effect. The front speakers sound great, and everything is running fine, just no subs.

However, the second 2x5 connector is not being used, and I suspect this is the subwoofer amp connection (mainly because the connector has "Amp" printed on the side of it). The 2x5 connector has three wires, a black, a blue with black stripe, and a brown. At first, I thought perhaps there was a second adapter I'm missing that turns these into RCA outputs that would plug into the Kenwood's "subwoofer" channel, but there are only three wires, so I'm a bit confused.

Anyone have any help? Does this need to be rewired, or am I missing something.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 SLK 230, 2007 GL 450
I just installed the same head unit a few weeks ago... And love it (though mine needed a ground isolator wired in).

The stereo in the SLK's is a bit funky, there was a two speaker system and then a six speaker system (really 2 in the door, with 2 tweeters separately in the door and two woofers in the back panel). If you have the Bose system (the six speakers) there are only two inputs to the amp and it utilizes an internal cross-over to feed a signal to the rear speakers.

I've noticed the amount of signal sent is slight, though with the X995 had to ratchet up the bass to notice. Only way around it would be to wire in a new amp that would likely require new speakers as well.