SLK/R170: dead battery, SOS light, car stayed at Park position

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C240 wagon, 01 E320, 94 Miata (supercharged sold), 01 SLK 320
dead battery, SOS light, car stayed at Park position

hello:

Car with 74Kmiles...Car would not start after 30 days idle in my garage. Tried to jump start unsucessfully. Slow-charged battery over night..Car started ok next day. I could not get the out of Park position. I let it run for 3 minutes, and able to get to Drive position. Just got out of the garage, and found out that the car would not shift to second gear (automatic), tried to switch to manual but it would not work either. I drove around the block at 1st gear (2000rpm) and back to the garage. Took the battery to the shop and found out that the battery is bad which was replaced with a new one (under warranty).

Installed new battery. Car started find but I could not get out of Park position. Now the SOS light came on. Driver/passenger windows don't work. Roof won't retrack. Help!!!

I am going to read through all threads just to see what I can find. But if someone could help, I greatly appreciated.

thanks

d
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM

2001 SLK 320
Any bad fuses. Windows not working don't make sound right. Any way try taking off the battery again for a few then reconnect. Low voltages can cause all kinds of problems. Also keep keys in pocket doors closed while working on battery dash lights up when door opens could short out dash.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 AM

update:

With a new battery installed a night before, cranked the engine, and nothing happened, just lots of clicking noise from the starter. Turned the key off and waited for 5 minutes, and cranked the engine again. Same result. Engine started fine the night before.

Unhooked the cables from the battery and slow charge the brand new battery for 5-6 hours. Reconnected the cables and cranked the engine Engine started fine, but sitll could not shift out of park. Read somewhere on other threads that if I used a long screw driver and push through an opening at the bottom of the shift hand, I could by pass the gear shift out of P position. Tried that and I heard something un-coupled but still could not get out of P position. Engine still on, all electrical systems worked except the windows, top and radio (did not asked to enter codes)

Turned engine off and waited for 5 minutes and turned engine on again. Engine started find, this time I am able to shift to D position. Drove around the block, and noticed that transmission did not shift to 2nd gear. Drove slow, 1st at 3000RPM for about 10 minutes

Strange things started to happen....engine shifted to 2nd, 3rd, 4th without any problems. Switched to manual mode, engine shifted to 2nd, 3rd and 4th..All electrical systems worked, including windows, radio, forgot to lower roof.

Does it take 5-15 minutes to have the entire system check after new battery installation?

Car is working fine now, but since I had to go on a business trip, I won't touch it for another 7 days. Let's hope that I won't happen to repeat this sequences again.

thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 AM

2001 SLK 320
Low voltage plays heck with these cars. It causes all kinds of problems.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 PM

update:

Car has been sitting for 5 days..Car started without any problem. Drove around for about 1 hour. Turned on head lights and saw SRS, ABS and many other lights flashing, and head lights are not very bright. Car made it home. I turned off the engine and could not restart (have a brand new battery install last week)

Since it was late in the evening, I just slow-charge the battery overnight.

Next day, took out the Volt meter and found:

1. Battery has 12.8-12.9V with engine not on
2. Battery has 11.9V with engine on (should be greater than 12.9V, right? perhaps around 13.8V, I read it somewhere)
3. With head lights, heater fan, radio on, battery has 11.7V
4. Turned engine off, battery showed 12.2V

I think I have a dead alternator. Let'e me read about alternator's problems on other threads.

thanks

d
Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM

'98 C43
hey if you're still around and remember, can you post the resolution?

I have my car idle in the garage for 3 months and have the same issue. Car will not turn over. Don't hear the starter, just flickering, dim lights on the dash. Had the car on a slow trickle charge the entire time.

I'll change the battery if necessary but just wanted to see what your fix was.

TIA