SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Resoldered the K40 module now rough idle & running and no power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDi (2007 - S211), S500L (2002_W220), SLK280 (2007 R171)
Resoldered the K40 module now rough idle & running and no power

ok, ever wish you hadnt started something?

ive had an intermittant prob of lack of power on accelleration occuring few times a week and getting worse.

I suspected the K40 soldering problem but also ordered a new MAF.
I fitted the new MAF at the weekend and it didnt improve things so I pulled the K40 relay unit out and yes a nice big dry joint in the usual place on the connector to plug A, also noticed much of the soldering on the board looked like it was going dry so I re soldered the whole board and re installed it!

now when i start the car it starts and runs fine for about 3-5 mins then idles very rough for couple mins then switches back to idleing smooth and this dance continues.

on driving the rythm continues and when running rough there is virtually no power, strugles to get over 2k revs and when in a smooth phase it runs almost normal with much more power and revs are back up but still not perfect?

pulled the K40 module back out and inspected and double checked the soldering but visually everything seems fine

does anyone have any ideas
Thanks
Mark