SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: AC operation question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 AMG
AC operation question

Hello all. I'm a new owner of a 1999 SLK230 AMG (I know, just the cosmetics) with 110,000kms. It's imported from Japan.

I've downloaded a user manual for an american model, seems pretty much the same.

My question is about the AC system. Mine has the 3 buttons between the two selector knobs. One is defrost, one is the "EC" button and the third is the recirculate button. It's a silly question, but with the EC button pushed in, the light in the button comes on. I'm assuming this indicates the AC is on? It's summer here on the west coast of BC and I have the top down and don't need AC right now. I just want to make sure gas mileage wise that I'm not driving around with it on needlessly. So light on - AC on, light off - AC off?

Another question, for some things my local MB dealer seems in the ballpark price wise for some parts. I've compared with ordering via Ebay and shipping to Canada always seems to kill the deal. So far I've purchased and installed one trunk strut (yes, hit in the back of the head twice) and center caps for the AMG rear wheels. Any other thoughts on parts options? It's been debadged on the rear trunk deck, I'd like to put the SLK230 and AMG back on. Most of the places I've looked at online don't seem to sell both and I want to ensure the sizes are the same so would prefer to buy from the same seller. I'll do some more research in this forum, but the other thing I'd like to do sooner rather than later is remove the instrumentation bezel to repaint. (Above the steering wheel, that covers the speedometer cluster) I'm looking for instructions on removal. I've already reviewed lots of options for removing the latex paint. Also, anyone ordered one of the aftermarket plexiglass wind screens available online?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I love the car so far.

Regards,
Jay
Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jay Marchant
Hello all. I'm a new owner of a 1999 SLK230 AMG (I know, just the cosmetics) with 110,000kms. It's imported from Japan.

I've downloaded a user manual for an american model, seems pretty much the same.

My question is about the AC system. Mine has the 3 buttons between the two selector knobs. One is defrost, one is the "EC" button and the third is the recirculate button. It's a silly question, but with the EC button pushed in, the light in the button comes on. I'm assuming this indicates the AC is on? It's summer here on the west coast of BC and I have the top down and don't need AC right now. I just want to make sure gas mileage wise that I'm not driving around with it on needlessly. So light on - AC on, light off - AC off?

Another question, for some things my local MB dealer seems in the ballpark price wise for some parts. I've compared with ordering via Ebay and shipping to Canada always seems to kill the deal. So far I've purchased and installed one trunk strut (yes, hit in the back of the head twice) and center caps for the AMG rear wheels. Any other thoughts on parts options? It's been debadged on the rear trunk deck, I'd like to put the SLK230 and AMG back on. Most of the places I've looked at online don't seem to sell both and I want to ensure the sizes are the same so would prefer to buy from the same seller. I'll do some more research in this forum, but the other thing I'd like to do sooner rather than later is remove the instrumentation bezel to repaint. (Above the steering wheel, that covers the speedometer cluster) I'm looking for instructions on removal. I've already reviewed lots of options for removing the latex paint. Also, anyone ordered one of the aftermarket plexiglass wind screens available online?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I love the car so far.

Regards,
Jay
I found wheel badges on eBay and most of what you are looking for is also available there.
I get Fram air and cabin filters at a local parts store. OEM oil filters are readily available on line at less than half the price of the dealer.
Your EC light on means it is on and the compressor is out of the loop.