SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: SLK230 Engine Noise In Idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230 Engine Noise In Idle

My wife's brand-new SLK230 Kompressor (2004 Model, automatic transmission, 650Miles) produces, only when completely warmed up, a rough sounding noise in idle. Engine oil and transmission fluid levels are correct.

When starting the cold engine, there is some brief slight rattle from the hydraulic valve lifters, which soon disappears. After that, the engine runs nice and smooth.
After driving 10 to 15 Miles, to warm up the engine completely, this slight clacking sound appears in idle. It reminds me of some VERY subdued dieseling. When increasing the engine RPM above 1200, the noise disappears or becomes inaudible.
The sound can only be heard from outside the car and acceleration and overall engine performance remain normal.
Mercedes service hears "nothing abnormal" and assures me that everything is cosher .

Initially, I assumed that a vibrating heat shield between engine and battery compartment could be the culprit, but it wasn't.

Since I most likely have to point Mercedes into the right direction before they will attempt a repair, I would highly appreciate any help with this issue.

A Very Happy New Year to all members of this forum and their loved ones.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
I have a similar problem. I have a rattling that i hear when slowing down (so i don't know if the engine noise blocks it) but I'm pretty sure its only when i slow down and when i brake, it stops. Its also there when I start the car, in which, braking doesn't stop it. Any help would be appreciated.