SLK/R170: Console peal repaint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 C43, 2001 SLK320
Console peal repaint?

Apologies if this is repetitive.

I purchased the Viponds paint to touch up center console peal several years ago. It works fine for awhile, but because I have just used it for touch up, the peal eventually reappears there or elsewhere. Now my mechanic has the console out of the car to replace a sensor, and I can repaint the whole thing. Because my console color is black, I have an option and thus my question.

The base under the pealed paint is black. It is hard, and doesn't have the rubbery matte finish of the paint, but is textured and seems attractive enough. My question is if I remove all the old paint, is there any real point to repainting the entire thing, or would I be reasonably happy with the look of the base, unpainted, console? I realize the base is black, and not "charcoal", but I don't think the mild color difference would bother me. I am more worried if the base black will have enough of a finished look.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 75,xxx miles, 1998 SLK230 250,xxx miles
I repainted the lower section of my console & glove box in September of 2008 http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...t-germany.html
If you do repaint I recommend striping the paint from the console then applying a primer paint that is made for plastic (I used Krylon Fusion)
Its just shy of 7 years,
the stripped primed & reprinted sections have not chiped or flaked.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230 R170
i think the black would look fine. i recently re-did mine with some "official" paint for mercedes and it looks slightly off color and doesnt have a very pleasant texture. its grey, but if the rest of my car was black i might have just peeled off all the paint . what did you end up doing?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 C43, 2001 SLK320
I peeled it off. Bought paint stripper but after three days in a damp screened in porch did not need to use it except in a couple of spots. It came up nice, the unpainted plastic has a nice texture to it, and definitely a finished look. The color match to the padded armrest looks fine.

Two things I don't know yet:
1) Haven't mounted it back in car yet so don't know how good it will look in place
2) The plastic that has been exposed for a while due to the peel looks a bit worn - so I don't know how well it will hold up without paint on it.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:04 PM

199 SLK 230
I use the real stuff, VLC color. They sell it on ebay.

My car has two tones, the charcoal and quartz. Blends right it, I dabbed it on with a magic eraser. Has not peeled at all since touching up. I will warn you, use in a well ventilated area I used it outside and still got fumed out. Its a perfect match and texture, since it's the real MB stuff. Guy before be used Krylon and it looks terrible. I am fixing his mistake.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kvl2/m.html?...1&_ipg=&_from=
Old 05-27-2016, 01:39 PM

SLK 230
where I can get front rear center console of slk 230 1998

Thanks

JaimeJavier