SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: TOP HYDRAULICS SAVED ME THOUSANDS OF $$$$$$$$$$

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes SLK 230
TOP HYDRAULICS SAVED ME THOUSANDS OF $$$$$$$$$$

Rebuilt cylinders from Top Hydraulics saved me thousands of$$$$$$$$$. My granddaughters 99 SLK230 blew a right hand top cylinder a fewmonths ago and as luck would have it my 03 SLK230 blew a left sidetrunk cylinder 3 weeks ago. Time to fix them both. After speaking withseveral Mercedes Dealers and recovering from their astronomical priceestimates, I decided to repair them both my self. I found the articleon the internet from a 68 year old gentleman, (I am 71), that was just great. Idon't have a repair manual either, but followed his pictures and directions andhad no real difficulty in removing and reinstalling all five cylinders in the99 and three in the 03, ( two had obviously been replaced before I purchasedthe car). Sent the cylinders from the 99 USPS Priority Mail and had them backin four or five days for $305 including return postage from Oregon. The threecylinders from the 03 cost $215. Apparently Mr. White at 541-902-3214 is a real asset. Fortunately I did not need his assistance. You need basic hand tools, lots of wire ties, and hydraulic fluid from Mercedes. Take plenty of pictures during the disassembly and contact Mr. White at www.tophydraulicsinc.com for help. One hint: Take the pressure off of the system by turning the screw on the pump (owners manual) and take the trunk lid cylinders out last and reinstall them first. Had my grandson help with the 99 and used bungee cords attached to the overhead tracks of my garage door for the 03.Save some money and give it a try.