SLK/R170: SLK/Crossfire Complete Electrical shutdown on blown 50 amp fuse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 170 / Chrystler Crossfire
SLK/Crossfire Complete Electrical shutdown on blown 50 amp fuse

Hello Forum Members,
I am in need of serious help. SLK is currently DOA/completely flat lined! It is an electrical issue. The 50 amp fuse HYDROLIC UNIT TRACTION in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery (passenger side of car) keeps blowing. The trouble is in trying to trace this wire in the field of wires to figure out where the GROUNDING is occurring.
Per diagnosis, I know that it keeps blowing because there is a ground wire somewhere, we are just not sure where.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The ground fault in this 50 amp fuse issue is causing absolutely NO POWER to ANY part of the vehicle. It is completely DOA…no sign of life! No power electrically nor mechanically…none…zero…zilch!

I know that it is not a crank position sensor (cps) because symptoms of a bad cps would make the car stall out not completely die.

I know that it is not the RCM relay control module because symptoms of a bad rcm would lead the car to have electric power but not crank/start.
Any help is greatly appreciated. If this post is not clear. Please let me know. In summary the 50 amp fuse labeled Hydraulic Unit traction keeps blowing and when it blows the car is a brick with no sign of life. We need to figure out what keeps blowing that fuse.

Thank you kindly in advance,
Flatline
Old 01-18-2016, 07:01 PM

anyone have a wiring diagram for this vehicle or know where I can find one from the fuse box?

Thank you in advance.

Flatline05cfire
Old 01-18-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 75,xxx miles, 1998 SLK230 250,xxx miles
You can download a Crossfire service manual here http://www.jodykrivohlavek.com/_docu...ice_Manual.pdf
Old 01-18-2016, 11:47 PM

Thank you leapyfish!

Originally Posted by leapyfish
You can download a Crossfire service manual here http://www.jodykrivohlavek.com/_docu...ice_Manual.pdf
'preciate it!