SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: '01 SLK230 - central locking mechanism & fog lights problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 09:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2020 G550
'01 SLK230 - central locking mechanism & fog lights problems

Just bought my first MB yesterday - it's a beautiful '01 SLK 230 roadster with 82K miles for $17500. Hope it's a decent deal. Everything seems to be in good shape. Here are the 2 problems that I've had and hopefully someone can share their wisdom:

1. The switch to lock/unlock the doors and the remote do not consistently lock/unlock the doors. The switch in the vehicle works occasionally and the remote makes the lights blink consistently but the locks do not actually engage/disengage consistently - works sometimes and doesn't at other times. Any ideas?

2. Just today, I noticed that the fog lights in the front come on at random times even when the car is off and keys are sitting in my kitchen. The lights flicker for a while, then turn off/on randomly. Strange...I didn't want the battery to die so I just pulled out the fuse for the fog lamps for now. I swear that when I put my ear up to the light switch, I can hear some weird clicking/sparking noise like there's a short circuit. Any ideas?

thanks and I love this site...will post pics soon after these little problems get fixed.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
austin-healy sprite,slk black
hi guy
the first thing i would check is the central locking/alarm module.its mounted in the boot [trunk?] by the spare on the right. it is covered in a spoonge thinngy. bet you its wet.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 320
If you got ATX and not sure if fluid was ever changed you better do it, before your transmission will break.

Check out other Benz forums - there is more traffic in R170
www. b e n z w o r l d . org
Old 08-23-2004, 07:17 PM

'03 slk32 AMG
You have a defective PSE Module. It is located in the trunk next to the spare tire. As mentioned earlier, water is finding its way into the foam box that surrounds the module. You will need to address that problem first or be prepared to replace the pump again in several months. Hopefully, your car is still under warranty. The PSE module costs about $700. Good luck.