SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Problem SLK update

Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem SLK update

I met with the MB zone rep yesterday along several managers from my dealership regarding my car. They wanted to bore scope the engine which was fine with me. Atleast we are getting somewhere. They didnt see anything
with that process. I completed my 3 oil consumption test and it is burning a 1.5 qrts every 500 miles. They did say the spark plugs were wet with oil! They can not make it run to good. They want to replace the engine now. I refused asking for the car to be replaced or a refund. I mentioned the tranny problems also, wife stranded, rebuilt and now they want another rebuild. He was not aware of the tranny issues on this car too. It was a good meeting and then he called about replacing the motor. They did not offer anything in addition. I asked about the cat being plugged with oil, resale of a car with a replaced motor etc. He was nice and is going to call be back today after talking with higher ups at MB. I think they will do the right thing here, atleast I hope. We like the car and this one has problems, plain and simple. I had gotten a private message on this form a week ago asking for my VIN # and they said they would see what they could do in NJ. They must work at the factory. I think they must have got the ball rolling here because up till then I could not even get a phone call. The zone rep did say everytime you call customer service he gets a message about the contact. I asked if that was the case why did it take 2 months for him to get back to me. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:11 AM

Well they bore scoped the motor and found nothing. The car is burning 1.5 qrts per 400 miles after 3 oil consumptions tests. Motor needs to be replaced.
They also found lots of wet oil on the spark plugs. Not good. Now I am in negotiations like I am buying a 73 Pinto. They offed to get me into a car they have for $5000. Its black but not Obsidian Black like my wife has and wants. 3800 for the extra option we do not need or want-Nav system, plus 2200 for the miles on the car. 60% of the miles on the car are going to the dealer for service and there 3 oil consumtion tests. They used the Lemon law formula to come to that number. They did not bother to use the lemon law formula that states they have to give back the full purchase price and the trade-in value that they accept. Very sleezy in my book. They can not find a car so they would have to order a 06 and they also want the increased price for that too. Sure seems like a one way street here that sure does not give you a warm feeling about MB and this dealer. The dealer is doing all the work and I have not heard back from Don Zinda the San Francisco area zone rep who handles Seattle. MB built this car, stuck me and the dealer with it and is no where to be scene. Pretty much par for the course from what I have seen. Lets see I negotiated a deal for this car and my trade in, which I would gladly have back at this point. Now they are trying basically to trade me into another car and pocket more of my money to boot. Not much as far as customer satisfaction in my book. This has been going on now since Monday while they sit on my car. I could see paying the increased price from a 05 to an 06 but not for the mileage that has built up doing testing and service since the problems started at 800 miles. I have been making 800 dollar a month payment the whole time. They can not get and 06 till Oct or Nov. They want mileage until then too. Looks like I am at the back of the line too to get a replacement. At least we are talking but all I see is dirtbags who are trying to get the consumer to pay for there problems and mistakes. Welcome to the MB experience. I member on here took my VIN # and said they would see what they could in NJ regarding this car. I believe that is the only reason i have gotten this far. The other is going to the showroom floor to talk to customers about my great experience. That got there attention. I might need to spend this weekend there helping them with somemore sales promotions. I am sure that would take it to the next level. My question is what happened to Don Zinda from MB. We had a pleasent meeting on Monday and he dropped the problem in the dealers lap never to be heard from again. I woould like to know exactly what MB pays this guy to do. It sure isn't much. You would think a phone at the minimum. I sure would like to know who Don reports to because that will be who my next call goes too. I thing if this gets any worse Don is the guy MB has to be asking, Why did he not take care of this problem? That would be actually doing his job and contacting the customer. I am now dealing with someone who was never in our meeting on Monday and i have never even met. They just keep bringing new weasels into the mix. It like getting a new closer every time you are close to making a deal. hey just keep bring new people out to wear you down. Well guess what,
I am not wearing down. I am only thinking lower of MB and Phil Smart MB. I will keep everyone post as the pleasant MB experience continues. I very sad level of customer dis-service.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:51 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG
RedVette,

I'm not a lawyer, but I've been through a "lemon law" experience with Toyota, and you're right: Don't wear down!! They'll try to squeeze every dime they can out of you, but it sounds like they've basically admitted that the car is a lemon, and (at least in California, your location isn't listed), they have to refund the FULL purchase price of the car, NO reductions for mileage.

If you let them replace the car, then I believe they ARE within their rights to charge you for any differences between your original car price and the new car price. But after your experience, I'm surprised you would want another MB, let alone an SLK.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2005, 02:14 PM

I am in WA state and the laws are different. I actually have a lemon law attorney who has contacted me regarding this issue. I feel I can be just as effective with out going there yet. We will see. My disrupt the sales floor plan has always worked for me and has always worked at friends who own dealerships. Hurt them were is counts and you get there attention. I do not hold this one vehcle agnaist MB. Problems happen. It comes down to the way they go about solving the problem. So far they have come off as youor typical used car dirt bags. I just assumed better from this class of manufacture. At first I assumed it was mostly MB but now the dealer has really showed their true colors. I am still waiting for my daily call and sales grind from them.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:28 PM

My friend had a problem with a defective rear end in an Opel many years ago. After not getting satisfaction from the dealer, he put a big sign on his car about the dealer giving lousey service and parked in front of the dealership. He also put copies of the work orders on the inside of his windows so that potential customers could see that he wasn't just a complainer. The dealer pulled the entire rear end including wheels and tires out of another new car and installed it in his car to get rid of him. Where are those big magnetic stick on lemons when you need one? I might add that my friend was careful to stay on public property while carrying out his campaign.

Last edited by Duo-Art; 07-28-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:52 PM

The perfect thing is Phil Smart is located in the City with the front door on a public sidewalk. Not place to hide. I can park right in front and hang out all day. I have been negotiating on ordering an 06' and its very ugly. Like I am buying a 73' Pinto on a used car lot. Worst customer service I have ever seen. They are too the point now that I hate this dealer. I actually want to take delivery at another dealer if this goes through. Not exactly customer service in my book. They want me to sign off on putting a new motor in now becasue I am driving an Enterprise rental MB 240. One I dont want to loose my convertible all summer waiting for a motor. Two I am only willing to pay the MSRP difference between an 05 and 06 and I am not sure I should be even paying that!!!. Just a bad deal all around. I want everything in writing before I will do anything. Today they actually said i just trust them. We both had a good laugh. They want me to pay mileage charges like its a lemon law at 46 cents a mile to drive my own car and that I am making payments on. Nice try. Basically trying to screw me anyway they can but I should trust them. OK. LOL
Old 07-28-2005, 11:19 PM
wem

Received 174 Likes on 97 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
I am not sure what the California Lemon Law says, but I won my lemon law claim in Connecticut for a 2002 Jaguar X-Type (w/o a lemon law lawyer). I originally asked for a replacement vehicle because I was under the impression that they would charge me for mileage if I asked for a refund. The arbitrators said that I was entitled to a new 2003 car without any more money out of my pocket (had to be ordered b/c of the color and options), or I could ask for a refund without a mileage deduction even though I had almost 24,000 miles by the time I filed the claim. Needless to say, I asked for the refund and promptly purchased a 2003 E320. The reason that there was no mileage deduction was that the problems started with only 6 miles on the odometer, and in their minds I never had a properly functioning car. By the way, I got back everything, including the downpayment, loan payments including the finance charges, money for some aftermarket equipment, and the lemon law filing fee. Do not hestitate to file the claim. It will put additional pressure on MB USA to settle the claim in your favor w/o any more money. The dealer will not be affected since it does not count against them. MB corporate buys back the car. FYI, I looked up the VIN recently on the Jaguar and they resold it in NJ instead of scrapping it.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:12 PM

I am in California. I had a Chevy Silverado bought back as a lemon but only after contacting an attorney. The dealership wouldn’t do anything until they saw I was serious about pursuing my rights.

In the end, I received my down payment minus a mileage fee for the number of miles driven before I reported the problems (about 1,000 miles) and all payments (with interest I paid) back. My attorney's fees were also paid for by GM. I seriously recommend that you have an attorney handle this for you. I'm sure you have better things to do than to fight a car dealership.

If you need a recommendation, I'll try and find my attorney's name and number for you. Just let me know.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:51 PM

SLK Problem Solved

Finally progress,

I recieved a call today from Dwight who is the NW regional marketing manager for MBUSA. He based in Seattle and was a pleasent surprise. After my call today from Phil Smart's manager John Halata I was ready to go to war and figured it was going to be an ugly affair. Yes I was going to go to other dealers because I knew the pressure from them would get someones attention. You do what you have to do. Dwight and I had a great conversation regarding all the issues with my SLK. He did not have the details after his conversations with all the people involved to this point. I went throught everything that has occured and he want to move forward with either a full refund or getting me a new SLK is even wanted to still be an MB owner. After all that has happened we still like the car. A bad motor and tranny is vehicle is not representive of the entire line. How it is handled is. MB is replacing the motor on my SLK
and ordering me a 06'. The built slot is early Oct. and delivery in late Nov. or Dec. I sure not understand how it have gone so far well Dwight and I worked out over a pleasent 10 minute phone conversation. I want to go through another dealer for delivery. Dwight said it would cost him less and be easier to stay here to get this done which I agreed too. He says he thinks we can work this out with the dealer. I don't think so but we will see. John Halata was an A-hole this morning. So was I but it was my money he was trying to steal. He thinks I was kidding about my threats. My team is now bummed out. They were looking forward to this weekends event. I had to call my buddy at the TV station to cancell. He had already slotted a spot for the story next week. Title "Expensive Luxury Cars- Do You actually get anything better". Unless something special happens I will service the 06' through the dealer in Fife whick is much closer to my home. My hats off to Dwight at MBUSA for handliing this in a positive and correct matter. Did not sleep that much last night I was so PO'd. Sure leave a bad taste in your mouth. It is just a matter of getting to the right person with the authority and business sense to do the right thing. Thanks Dwight
Old 07-29-2005, 08:57 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Glad to hear you got it worked out. And as to the dealership in Fife, as I have posted before, I have had nothing but great experiences with them so far, after having bad experiences with your dealer in Seattle, and the dealer in Bellevue as well. (And I live as far North of the Seatlle dealer, as the Fife dealer is South of them. So it's quite a drive for me, but it is worth it to get good and fair treatement.) Good luck, and from my experience, when these SLK's are good, they're great.

Last edited by Maverick; 07-30-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I merged both threads since they dealt with the same issue. Hope you recordeed the telecon. GL
Old 07-30-2005, 01:16 AM

Dwight followed up with an e-mail confirming what we discussed.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad to hear it was an amicable solution. I live in NV and my friend/client had a problem with a new CLK500 and it was resolved easily. All he could say after the agreement was that MB bought the car back. Mercedes just doesn't build them like they used to. Just read an article in a National News Mag (Newsweek?) stating how bad quality has slipped. Look at my old '99 ML with almost $15k in warranty work. My "04.5" C320 with currently 10k miles had a seat module replaced, trans ECU replaced, and I still have a power steering issue. Makes me wonder why I am even contemplating a SLK?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:27 AM

My replacement car is on order and i am questioning what the hell I am thinking. If there was another car out there I liked I would get it. Had a great road trip last week. Car does perform when not in the shop for minor things like tranny rebuilds and new motors.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:08 PM

2005 SLK350
That's awesome... I've seen your problems for almost a year now, and I hate that you had to go through all of that. After having mine for a year next week I have nothing but good things to say about the car and my dealer. It's a shame you had to go through all that, and it's a shame you ended up with a bad car and a bad dealer, but they're out there.

I'm thrilled for you... next summer is only 9 months away!