SLK/R171: New Cupholder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 05:46 PM
-1-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
New Cupholder

As many have mentioned, the factory cup holder in the SLK is in an awkward position. It's too high and too close to the electronics in the vertical center console. I've been looking for something to use that wouldn't require any modifications. I found it at Wal*Mart for less than $5.00. It's a dual cup holder that simply slides in between the right side of the console and the passenger seat. Good grip, it doesn't move. Pictures attached. Will post in both MB forums.
Attached Thumbnails New Cupholder-dsc00056.jpg   New Cupholder-dsc00060.jpg   New Cupholder-dsc00077.jpg  
Old 02-26-2006, 09:46 PM

hmmm....

errr....something doesn't look right ??
Old 02-26-2006, 10:39 PM
-1-

Question

Originally Posted by big SLK
errr....something doesn't look right ??
OK, specifically, what doesn't look right?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:24 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Don't understand the obsession with cupholders...

I don't feel safe knowing there's a cup sloshing around inside my car. I find the side pockets take a coke bottle just fine, and since you can close the top, I leave it there. Much more secure and no risk of it flying out if you take a corner too tightly.

The cupholder gadget above looks good, but it looks out of place in the SLK. It kills the finer lines of the interior in my opinion. But if it works for you, all the better
Old 02-27-2006, 06:07 AM
-1-

Originally Posted by Shinigami

I don't feel safe knowing there's a cup sloshing around inside my car. I find the side pockets take a coke bottle just fine, and since you can close the top, I leave it there. Much more secure and no risk of it flying out if you take a corner too tightly.

The cupholder gadget above looks good, but it looks out of place in the SLK. It kills the finer lines of the interior in my opinion. But if it works for you, all the better
Obsession, not with me. Most people have drinks at some time when driving. I personally like this option better than the factory option. Not trying to make a fashion statement. It's not permanent and can be removed any time. The purpose of a forum is to share information and ideas.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:00 AM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
I have the much maligned cup holder in my car. Whilst I don't use it for drinks it holds my Sat-Nav unit in just the right place. Saves me £2000 for COMAND !!

I have just bought the SLK55 and had the dealer transfer the cupholder from my SLK350.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:37 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors

Well, I personally do not allow any food or drink in my SLK (a source of endless taunting from my wife). However, we live in the Seattle area, and if the police ever catch me without my mandatory travelling latte, I'm in for a big fine. And unfortunately, Starbucks does not make a screw on paper cup lid.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, Ford F350 Diesel, WV Jetta TDI
Personally, I like it. Assuming that the passenger isn't too wide at the thighs, then it shouldn't interfere with them while they're in the seat. The cupholder is one of the few things in the SLK that we don't like. Granted, we don't do much eating or drinking in the car but it's still nice to have somewhere COMFORTABLE to put a cup/bottle when you do have a drink.

Next time we're in Wal-Mart, we'll have to check them out. Thanks -1-.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Funny, I too do not condone drinking in my car. However, on long trips I like to have a couple water bottles. That drink carrier may not be fashionable, but it looks alot better than two bottles 'on top of the dash!' I hate Walmart and most everything about it... but I guess I'll HAVE to go in, make a $5 purchase and leave. I'll just keep that thing in the trunk and simply pull it out on long trips. Besides, I removed the spare tire long ago.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:22 PM

Does anyone know the Walmart Skew or Part number for it? Or does it have a brand name? I cannot find it on the Walmart website.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:29 PM
-1-

Originally Posted by Maverick
Does anyone know the Walmart Skew or Part number for it? Or does it have a brand name? I cannot find it on the Walmart website.
I hope these pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails New Cupholder-dsc00079.jpg   New Cupholder-dsc00080.jpg   New Cupholder-dsc00082.jpg  
Old 02-27-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by -1-
I hope these pictures help.
Thanks '-1-'. With that, you can find the product (available in Black, Taupe, or Gray) at:

Wedgie Autocupholder from Auto Barn

(For those of us who do not particularly like Walmart, for whatever reason or reasons.)
Old 02-28-2006, 03:23 AM

SLK 55 AMG
When I had my older SLK, I was able to snuggly fit a larger coke or water bottle between the middle area and the corner of a seat. It wouldn't budge, and I just left it there.

In the new SLK, the way I set the seats means that there's not enough space for a bottle. But I don't usually carry huge bottles around with me, so it's no big loss.

But yeah, it would be nice to have a proper holder option. The stuff that comes in a Z4 is quite nice, it's out of the way and seems to work quite well.

I never sit in a car with a starbucks coffee cup or similar, it's just too risky.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:11 PM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
I never sit in a car with a starbucks coffee cup or similar, it's just too risky.
and the weight upsets the balance of the car.....
Old 03-21-2006, 10:03 AM

2011 SLK350 & 2011 E350
Originally Posted by -1-
OK, specifically, what doesn't look right?
Hello "1",

The cup holder is a nice option to know about. The current location above key electronics is quite problematic. MB could improve it at least a little if the base of the cupholder was solid and collected any droplets vs letting them fall into the CD opening and buttons. I do drink (yes, even lattes) in the car and I need a cupholder.

Actually my main reason fopr contacting you is that your photo shows your SLK has a six speed. I would like to know how smooth your gear shift is into 1 and through your gear range. My 350 was amazingly smooth for the first several hundred miles and then it changed all on its own. It now feels like my previosu SLK 320 which was rough when put into the lower gears particularly. I have even had a new manual transmission put in and only the reverse improved. All that I have read about the manual SLK350 suggests my initial experience of an almost silky smooth movement into gear was what should be the norm so I am looking for feedback from others like yourself to see how you would rate your gear box.

There are not many six speeds around my area so I have not been able to drive another for comparison. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 PM
-1-

Originally Posted by TopDown
Hello "1",

The cup holder is a nice option to know about. The current location above key electronics is quite problematic. MB could improve it at least a little if the base of the cupholder was solid and collected any droplets vs letting them fall into the CD opening and buttons. I do drink (yes, even lattes) in the car and I need a cupholder.

Actually my main reason fopr contacting you is that your photo shows your SLK has a six speed. I would like to know how smooth your gear shift is into 1 and through your gear range. My 350 was amazingly smooth for the first several hundred miles and then it changed all on its own. It now feels like my previosu SLK 320 which was rough when put into the lower gears particularly. I have even had a new manual transmission put in and only the reverse improved. All that I have read about the manual SLK350 suggests my initial experience of an almost silky smooth movement into gear was what should be the norm so I am looking for feedback from others like yourself to see how you would rate your gear box.

There are not many six speeds around my area so I have not been able to drive another for comparison. Thanks.
Hi. My wife and I purchased her car used back in December. When we picked it up. it had 944 miles. Currently, it's around 1875. She's the primary driver, but I drive it periodically. We specifically wanted the six speed. I wouldn't have purchased an auto. I'm happy with the six speed,. It shifts smoothly, no noticeable problems. This is my first experience with a six speed. Our other vehicles all have five speeds. On the five speeds, I normally only use first, second, third and fifth gears. I'm still trying to figure the six speed out. I won't use all six gears. Probably leaving out fourth gear. My biggest complaint with this manual is the awkward (to me) position of reverse. Takes some getting use to. Also, it appears the SLK has a close ratio transmission. I personally could live with a five speed. No complaints with the operation of the manual transmission. Regardless, still wouldn't consider an auto in the SLK 280/350. We're extremely happy with this vehicle.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by -1-
No complaints with the operation of the manual transmission. Regardless, still wouldn't consider an auto in the SLK 280/350. We're extremely happy with this vehicle.
I agree with -1-, the manual isn't the greatest but it does it's job well. I find it hard to shift fast and occassionally have trouble going from 2nd to 3rd gear, probably b/c I'm shifting too fast. It's just too much fun to row from gear to gear. I have an auto SUV for a daily driver and no way would I get another auto. The SLK is my daily driver in the spring and summer, I couldn't ask for anything more.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 PM

slk 350
Originally Posted by TopDown
Hello "1",

My 350 was amazingly smooth for the first several hundred miles and then it changed all on its own. It now feels like my previosu SLK 320 which was rough when put into the lower gears particularly. I have even had a new manual transmission put in and only the reverse improved. All that I have read about the manual SLK350 suggests my initial experience of an almost silky smooth movement into gear was what should be the norm so I am looking for feedback from others like yourself to see how you would rate your gear box.

I have the manual. When I first got it, it was silky smooth. But after a couple of thousand miles, I felt that it was a little hard to get into first and to a lesser degree, second. I almost took it in, but never got around to it. It wasn't that bad, but it just felt different than in the beginning. The funny thing is that after about four thousand miles, it seems to have improved and seems to me to be much smoother. Not sure why, but it seems smoother now. I remember some saying that there was a problem with clutch master cylinder (I think that's the part) in some cars causing difficulty putting the car into the lower gears. Maybe you could have that checked. That's what I was going to do before it seemingly cleared up.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:36 PM

2005 slk amg 5.5
HOW TO REMOVE OLD CUPHOLDER ?

2005 SLK

I HAVE THE PULL OUT DOUBLE CUP HOLDER TYPE IN FRONT OF THE CENTER AC VENTS

I AM BRUCE LAYER

EMAIL rrman9999@yahoo.com
PHONE 713 504 2207

PLEASE ADVISE IF YOU CAN
Old 06-22-2016, 04:47 PM

2005 slk amg 5.5
I have a 2005 SLK AMG 5.5 How do I remove the old slide out 2 cup holder that opens in front of the center AC vents ?

I can be reached at rrman9999@yahoo.com Bruce