SLK/R171: SLK300 high rpm rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK300
SLK300 high rpm rattle

Hi folks,

I have used this site to identify potential issues or problems I have had with the car since I bought it. I have now joined up and this is my first post.

I acquired my late 2010 SLK300 about 3 months ago. I purchased it from a former colleague and it has now done a genuine 15,000km.

For the past few days I have noticed something a little strange when under heavy acceleration. When accelerating and at high RPM I get a slight rattle from what seems to be the front end. It's only audible for a second or two then disappears. Engine is running fine when driving and at idle and the gearbox is smooth. This sound does not appear when revving the engine in neutral. If I'm just cruising the sound does not appear, only when Im heavy footed. When the car is parked and at idle there is not rattling from the engine, under the car or from the rear end.

I will also add that I have been using the same fuel type since I purchased the car so I don't think this is a contributor.

If any of you have see this before or have an idea what might be causing it please feel free to join in the discussion.

Cheers!