SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: New '07 SLK350 Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SLK 350
New '07 SLK350 Owner

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum having just picked up an 07 SLK350 with 42,000 miles. The car is in amazing condition but I do have a few questions.
1. The left Xenon headlight doesn't come on upon start-up sometimes and a warning is received on info display. If you shut the car off then restart the light will usually come on. From some research I've done the culprit is probably the ballast, but before I drop a few hundred dollars on one I'd like some of you to confirm it. If it is the ballast what is the best way to replace it?
2. The steering seems stiffer than what I'm used to in other vehicles, when driving forward after having just backed up with the wheel turned (backing out of a parking spot) the steering doesn't start straightening out by itself; I have to turn the wheel more than what I'm used to. Is this normal for this car?
3. With the top up there are a few squeaks and rattles. I'm assuming it's because the top is not a fixed component as in a non-convertible. Is there any kind of seal lubricant you use to overcome this.
4. On the underside of the dash above my left leg I've found a round toggle switch but no idea what it's for as switching it back and forth with either the vehicle running or not seems to have no affect on anything.