SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: GT-Esque Mount Wing + Convertible Top = ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK 350 Launch Edition, 6MT
GT-Esque Mount Wing + Convertible Top = ?

Before any of you get all judgy (like many did on the SLK forum, let me explain to you why this is necessary).

I am going to end up garaging my SLK fairly soon, as I have just bought an Audi SQ5 as a daily driver, and as I wouldn't doubt that I likely have the highest mileage R171 SLK on the forum, It's basically going to become a strictly track/weekend car. I caught a forum member on the SLK forum running a fairly short GTC Mount wing, for a little bit extra Downforce in the SLK, which would be welcome as my car is often a bit floaty in the harsher bends, especially when I go to Circuit Of The Americas. So, I wanted to ask if anyone on here has any comments on if the convertible top motors have a hard time with larger spoilers or not. Let it be known, that with all due respect, I don't really care about your opinion when it comes to GT wings, I simply need to know about the endurance of the hydraulic roof. Here's a couple photos of SLK forum member Serius' SLK- I don't think it's that offensive, the wing compliments the lines of the R171. Hope to hear back from you guys.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55
I think it looks pretty hot! Does the hardtop work properly after the wing being installed?
Old 01-30-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SLK55, 2014 E63 Wagon
No heavy is the wing? I haven't had problems with my roof and it looks like it mounts above a pivot point which would be less stressful on the system than a dead lift of the unit.

Also wondering if it is something you can install just before going to the track so that it's not an issue when you are normally using it as a convertible. Not sure how often you use the convertible top when you are at the track. I typically keep the top up just to keep the dust out.

Good luck and I'm interested in whether you notice a difference. I'm keeping my SLK for the same purpose.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 MB SLK280
Sweet! A Track Day Car...