SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Help in decision for new SLK 350

Old 12-11-2004, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help in decision for new SLK 350

Hello,

I test drove the SLK 350 and I have to admit, I was impressed by it.

I test drove one with the 7 speed automatic and one with the manual tranny. I did not get much seat time in any of them but was not impressed by the automatic (It seemed to down**** from 2nd to 1st when I was slowing down and it was quite abrupt). I have always driven manual tranny so it might have been that I just did not know how to best used the automatic transmission. I liked the manual tranny though.

Now, here comes my dilema. Should I get the manual tranny (They only had one and it was the lauch edition SLK) or an automatic (They had multiple cars with it)? How will it hurt resale value if I get the manual as I believe most MB enthutiasts like automatic tranny?

What options are must have in your opinion? I think the following packages are must have:

Comfort
premium
Heating

But not sure about run-flat, lighting, entertainment, entertainment with Nav

Finally, any hope of paying less than MSRP? The salesman started to set me up telling me that there is a 6 months wait for car ....(even though I saw 5 SLK 350 in their parking garage)

Thanks,

Yves.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:10 PM

slk 350
I got the manual tranny and I think it is great. I don't think it will hurt resale, not on this car anyway. The manual tranny is great and it belongs on a car like this. The essential options you list are exactly what I got. The stock lights are really bright and nav, well if you can afford it why not. The stock sound system is O.K. at best IMO but I just stuck to those few to keep the price down. Also, I got $1000.00 off MSRP, but it took some doing.

Last edited by bmwnomore; 12-11-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:17 PM

SLK 55
Don't worry about resale, get the one you'll be happy with. If I could have, I would have gotten a manual. a manual trany is fun as hell in a car like this. (I had an S2000)
I did'nt get the nav package, Because (a) I heard it's hard to see it with the top down (B) I dont get lost (c) it's 2800 bucks.
I did'nt get Zeon because I don't drive at night if I can help it.
My dealer has 5 350's on their lot now, I bet around Febuary or March you can pick one up for $500-1000 off MSRP without too much trouble.
IMHO
Old 12-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 BMW 330Ci Dinan Signiture series(S) SLK 350 6Spd. CAPRI BLUE AMG, Lighting pkg., heating pkg.
This is a true sports car and I believe only the 6 speed manual will do justice to the car. I really enjoy driving so I got the AMG pkg. as well as the Lighting & Heating pkg. The AMG pkg. gives the car a much sportier look, handles better, and has a lower stance. The car looks great.
I also recommend ordering the car with the options you want. If you order the car you'll get a better deal than taking what they have in stock. You are also better off financing your car privately rather than through the dealership. Don't believe the dealer about the 6 month waiting list...it's not true. MB is not selling as well as they lead you to believe. I contacted 8 dealers in my area(NY) and they have been calling me about purchasing the 350. They wouldn't bother if there was a waiting list...they're eager to sell. You have to know all the prices and be prepared to play the game with the salesman. I finally purchased the car with $2,000 off MSRP. Had I played a little longer I think I would have gotten 2.5K off or at least a 6 CD changer thrown in. Be patient, don't seem eager and do your homework. You'll get a good deal. Ordering the car takes between 2 & 2 1/2 months.

Last edited by bigciti; 12-11-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:46 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK350
You got $2000 off?!

Here in Southern CA, can't even get a penny off. Of course this is convertible country. (It's 65 degrees today. ) Maybe I should take a trip to NY.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got 1500 off my $58,200 car - SLK350 loaded to the gills except the Automatic transmission, runflat tires and the wood trim.