SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

Problems with SLK32 AMG!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Urb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with SLK32 AMG!!!!

Got a strange problem occurring and wondered if anyone could shed any light on it.
The car runs sweet most of the time but when i have had my foot down for a while at high speeds something gives, usually happens around 100mph, the car dies and feels like engine braking, i then try to put my foot down and nothing happens the revs just wind back as if the car is going to seize completely.Sometimes the rev counter will fly round to 6000 when i give it gas but it feels like it is out of gear and the revs go but not the car, same symptoms the cars power just dies.
If i let my foot off the pedal for about 10 seconds and then put my foot back down, then the car is back to normal, but the same problem starts occuring more frequently after the first time.
When the car is cold the problem does not occur as often, it is only after running it for a while.
Don't know whether its the transmission , ECU or just something overheating, any ideas as to what could be causing the problem would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Urb

Problem Sorted!!!

MB ran a diagnostics and it was the supercharger overheating or the sensor telling the ECU that the supercharger was pushing too much hot air. Still got to be fixed yet but at least it has been diagnosed.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 2011 Audi A4
Re:

I have the same problem with my C32. I'm getting it fixed on Monday. What year is your SLK32? I'm just wondering if mine will be covered under warranty cuz my C32 is a 2002.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
sounds like your fluid pump. When the IAT's go too high it will disengage the clutch on the supercharger. Search the e55 section , just about everyone has had a failed pump at one time. just had mine changed, what a difference.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Yes, it is an intercooler circuit fluid pump. Very common to C/SLK32s and E/CLS/S/SL/CL55s.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:38 PM

2002 C32 AMG Peugeot 205 Rally car. Honda VFR Vtec
Had exactly the same problem with my C32. It's the Intercooler pump.
Basically the supercharger shuts down for a period until the air temps reduce. Once reduced it comes back into play and off you go like a rocket.

Strangely it would cut in / out on mine just on cruise at 85mph. You could feel the S/C disengage and engage again. The car would shudder slightly as it did so.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:20 PM

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...placement.html

Bazzle
Old 12-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Urb

Smile Thanks :)

Thanks for all your help, the problem is sorted now, believe it or not MB said the problem was being caused by a blown fuse, anyway whatever they did, it worked.
Just had it remapped by DMS automotives, made the car noticeably more responsive, going to take it to there shop in January and get the pulley replaced on the supercharger, upgrade the water pump and a few other things they said which I can't remember, they claim they can push the car up to 450bhp and increase the torque by 90lb.
Put some new Eagle F1 gs/d3 tyres on,due to all the rain we have been having it was a must to replace the Pirelli P-zero rosso tyres, had a nasty sideway slide due to those tyres on the motorway when I went through a big puddle.
But although the car flies when I get it rolling, I still cant seem to find the grip to do any impressive 0-60 times, all that power and I just can't seem to get it to the tarmac, the traction control keeps annoyingly kicking in whenever I put my foot down at low speeds, I have to be going over 40mph before I can really floor it without losing traction.
Is there a trick to doing standing starts in these cars, or is it just because of the cold weather and bad road conditions that I cant get the traction?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 AM

scion IQ(five axis), smart fortwo crossblade, austin rover mini
Originally Posted by Urb
Thanks for all your help, the problem is sorted now, believe it or not MB said the problem was being caused by a blown fuse, anyway whatever they did, it worked.
Just had it remapped by DMS automotives, made the car noticeably more responsive, going to take it to there shop in January and get the pulley replaced on the supercharger, upgrade the water pump and a few other things they said which I can't remember, they claim they can push the car up to 450bhp and increase the torque by 90lb.
Put some new Eagle F1 gs/d3 tyres on,due to all the rain we have been having it was a must to replace the Pirelli P-zero rosso tyres, had a nasty sideway slide due to those tyres on the motorway when I went through a big puddle.
But although the car flies when I get it rolling, I still cant seem to find the grip to do any impressive 0-60 times, all that power and I just can't seem to get it to the tarmac, the traction control keeps annoyingly kicking in whenever I put my foot down at low speeds, I have to be going over 40mph before I can really floor it without losing traction.
Is there a trick to doing standing starts in these cars, or is it just because of the cold weather and bad road conditions that I cant get the traction?

#1) yes, its the fuse; there was TSB given to star-TEK dealers and dealerships about this fuse; its actually the fuse going bad and not the cooler-pump; however, MB did come out with a new pump with a new part number for the pump; just to make sure the new pump wouldn't fail in eithercase scenarios. But its the fuse that seemingly makes the pump inoperative. it first was stated my MB to use a 5 amp fuse; but there is a TSB out there that states by MB to use 7.5amp fuse! (does someon have that TSB to post, i can't find it anymore, i missplaced it)

And this is a big mistake by service advisors and techs at dealerships; causing you to pay for unncesscary parts replacements due to lack of knowledge and skills from MB techs(some). Get your money back; always keep your old parts to verify what was done. IF your intercooler pump is truly bad, the inside would be damaged; take it apart and look at it.

#2) r170 series AMG does not have a locking differential (open LSD); differential were made to spin(this sucks) [ get a NEW LSD by quiaife or kleeman]

#3)put the lever from W to S near the gear lever, respective to weather conditions

Last edited by ttus; 06-15-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
you do realize this thread is over 4 yrs old?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 AM

scion IQ(five axis), smart fortwo crossblade, austin rover mini
BUT does anyone still have that TSB about the 7.5 amps for the 170 amg?

these cars still exist and worthy of attention.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by ttus
BUT does anyone still have that TSB about the 7.5 amps for the 170 amg?

these cars still exist and worthy of attention.
dont know why ypou need the tsb. simply put a 7.5 fuse in and its done. btw i have a slk32 actaully this is my 2nd 1
Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM

S600
why be a jerk 320?

the threads still exist, people still search them, and have the same problem, don't shoot a guy down for adding his two cents.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 PM

slk32 amg
Many thanks to all contributors to this thread, my slk32 just got the problem this week and it only cost me a 7.5A fuse to fix the problem.