SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

Loss of power issue resolved. Here's the fix.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk32 amg
Loss of power issue resolved. Here's the fix.

Hi everyone. I have 03 SLK32 AMG. When cold, it ran well enough. Then it would heat up, and lose power.

I took it back to Carmax where I bought it. They've been terrific in the past, and have the best price on oil change, too. Anyway, they diagnosed the issue. A couple of mechanics from MB in Newport Beach work there.

So it turns out the intercooler pump wasn't working. The supercharger clutch would disengage. The engine acted worse than a normally aspirated unit.

They replaced the pump. And now, it's like I have a new car. The power is there all the time. I can only imagine what this engine has the potential for. I know there are all kinds of crazy things people do.

Anyway, if this helps anyone, great. Fortunately, I had extended warranty coverage, so my out of pocket for a $1300 bill was "only" $250. They also replaced my ignition key mechanism, since it was getting really hard to turn. And they found a leaking power steering hose.

Sometimes it's best to take the car in and have it properly diagnosed. I could have fussed forever trying to figure this one out.