SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Issue With HK Radio on Logic sound Mode

Old 12-02-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SLK55
Issue With HK Radio on Logic sound Mode

Anyone have this issue or a fix:

About 10% of the time, the sound goes from extremely crips with a good soundstage and all speakers working, and then its like the system swithces over to speech mode--nothing form the rear speakers, dull lifeless sound, then 5 sec later beatitful, then 3 sec later dull then 2 sec later beautiful...

Drives me nuts!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
This is a by-product of Logic 7. When radio reception degrades a lot of high frequency information and stereo separation is lost. Logic 7 works off of spacial cues in the music to virtualize to more channels, and most of this information is in the higher frequencies and the differences between the stereo channels.

If this is happening when you're listening to a CD/MP3/etc. then there is something wrong with your system.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:29 AM

no logic when tops on

Iv'e found a strange thing also, logic works when the top is down driving, but turns off mid point when top starts coming back down. Try it you'll hear when it turns off.
We must find the switch to convert to full on. It's such a disappointment that they didn't include a real sound system slk55. Who needs a wimpy system at 100mph plus. My VW has a better sounding system.

the buddha
Old 12-05-2005, 02:21 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by BUDDHAAMG
Iv'e found a strange thing also, logic works when the top is down driving, but turns off mid point when top starts coming back down. Try it you'll hear when it turns off.
We must find the switch to convert to full on. It's such a disappointment that they didn't include a real sound system slk55. Who needs a wimpy system at 100mph plus. My VW has a better sounding system.

the buddha
That is incorrect.

Yes, you hear a short drop out when opening and closing the roof. I believe (no proof) that the HK is loading a different DSP profile (i.e. equalizer settings), which is why the drop out. I had a similar think on a Mark Levinson system in another convertible (which did document this function).

However, Logic 7 still is working with the top on. Just switch back and forth between Standard 2 channel Stereo setting and the Logic 7 setting while listening. Large difference (with a good sound source like a CD).
Old 12-06-2005, 12:24 PM

Great sound

Despite my concerns with the harsh ride of the car (another thread), I'm loving my 55 -- and perhaps the very best thing about it is the Logic7 stereo. Absolutely unreal sound presence, top up or down. It's the best car sound system I've ever experienced, and darned close to the spatial experience I get from my home system! Much better than the upgraded sound system in my wife's new Bimmer. Just one guy's opinion!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:26 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by lennyr
This is a by-product of Logic 7. When radio reception degrades a lot of high frequency information and stereo separation is lost. Logic 7 works off of spacial cues in the music to virtualize to more channels, and most of this information is in the higher frequencies and the differences between the stereo channels.

If this is happening when you're listening to a CD/MP3/etc. then there is something wrong with your system.
Never responded since this seemed very logical...until today. Driving as usual but enter a canyon. Still have a signal but with noticable static indicating a severly degraded signal yet Logic 7 is still processing...
Old 12-06-2005, 04:28 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by ggetz
Despite my concerns with the harsh ride of the car (another thread), I'm loving my 55 -- and perhaps the very best thing about it is the Logic7 stereo. Absolutely unreal sound presence, top up or down. It's the best car sound system I've ever experienced, and darned close to the spatial experience I get from my home system! Much better than the upgraded sound system in my wife's new Bimmer. Just one guy's opinion!
System is not bad but farm form excellent IMHO. The Bose system in my old 2002 911 was much better...

This one needs a small sub in the trunk that is ported into the passenger comparmtent and then it would rock!