Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:35 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Slk5.5 K8

WoW.
Those are great times for a new driver with not much exposure to Drag racing . And Chris from C2D takes the owner there , and shows him the operation of the new upgrades , I'm glad I am dealing with both C2D and Cory at Kleemann. Congrats to all of you , for great customer Service . I'm sure he will improve with time . I cann't tell you how rusty I was after not being in the seat for 25 years. At Moroso 3 weeks ago.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:42 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 slk55
I've never dragged before. Could this good time be more of a reflection of the 7G transmission?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:25 PM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
thats a fantastic time for any benz. that thing must feel insane in a car small as the SLK! i think there's a little room for improvement since the driver is said to be inexperienced, but looking at the trap speed, i don't see times dropping all that that much. the trap speed is a stronger indicator of how fast a car is, and at about 120mph, the slk running at 11.7 is already a bit faster than the average corresponding ET for that trap speed, i would say. i don't think you'll see something running like 11.2 at 120 (or even slightly higher mph), unless the off-the-line acceleration is uncanny. that kind of trap speed seems to translate to about a mid to high-11 sec run, which in any case, is an amazing feat!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:37 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by KompressorKev
thats a fantastic time for any benz. that thing must feel insane in a car small as the SLK! i think there's a little room for improvement since the driver is said to be inexperienced, but looking at the trap speed, i don't see times dropping all that that much. the trap speed is a stronger indicator of how fast a car is, and at about 120mph, the slk running at 11.7 is already a bit faster than the average corresponding ET for that trap speed, i would say. i don't think you'll see something running like 11.2 at 120 (or even slightly higher mph), unless the off-the-line acceleration is uncanny. that kind of trap speed seems to translate to about a mid to high-11 sec run, which in any case, is an amazing feat!
Good point & this is true for cars that don't have active TC. However, if his TC is engaged (I have no idea if it was/was not but would think with a good 1.7 60', its likely - especially on 245 DRs which are pretty narrow), his power was being restrained.

Again, its conjecture on my part as I have no idea if his T/C was disengaged (ESP off or in Dyno mode). Even w/ESP "off", some T/C remains I believe. Maybe C2D can confirm to what extent T/C was active? - I'm just curious?

-Matt
Old 01-09-2006, 08:30 AM
C2D

The car was in Dyno mode. The car builds so much power so quickly, the transmission has some issues. We don't know if this is just this car(valve body problem possibly) or just what happens when so much power is added to the car. On that run, the customer had a great launch with very little wheel spin. In order to keep the car in its sweet spot, he had to short shift it into 3rd in order to get it to hook up. It seems there is a 500rpm window on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in order to get it just right. The track was very busy on that night so we didn't get to do too many runs. We'll be back and hopefully have more chances to figure out the optimal launch and shifting.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Cubanite SLK55AMG
Mad post guys!

What an AWESOME time!

You've gotta be happy with that!

I'd agree that the problem isn't so much the power or torque to weight ratio involved it's the traction that limits things.

The SLK has relatively narrow rear rubber compared to the grunt being made by the S8 Kompressor V8. I'll send the guy a bottle of Moet if he can get below 11.2 - I just don't believe it's gonna happen (if he uses nitrous I'll drink the champers myself!)!

Anybody know what a bone stock SLK55 does for the quarter? I've never seen an 'official' time or unmodified time posted anywhere.

Thanks C2D for this excellent post!

Cheers,

AUSSLK55AMG
Old 01-09-2006, 11:01 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by C2D
The car was in Dyno mode. The car builds so much power so quickly, the transmission has some issues. We don't know if this is just this car(valve body problem possibly) or just what happens when so much power is added to the car. On that run, the customer had a great launch with very little wheel spin. In order to keep the car in its sweet spot, he had to short shift it into 3rd in order to get it to hook up. It seems there is a 500rpm window on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in order to get it just right. The track was very busy on that night so we didn't get to do too many runs. We'll be back and hopefully have more chances to figure out the optimal launch and shifting.
Cool. Thanks for the feedback - its good data! These cars were not built for drag racing, but its still interesting to see 1/4 mile times & trap speeds (at least to me it is ). Again, thanks for the posts.

-Matt
Old 01-09-2006, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Originally Posted by AUSSLK55AMG
What an AWESOME time!

You've gotta be happy with that!

I'd agree that the problem isn't so much the power or torque to weight ratio involved it's the traction that limits things.

The SLK has relatively narrow rear rubber compared to the grunt being made by the S8 Kompressor V8. I'll send the guy a bottle of Moet if he can get below 11.2 - I just don't believe it's gonna happen (if he uses nitrous I'll drink the champers myself!)!

Anybody know what a bone stock SLK55 does for the quarter? I've never seen an 'official' time or unmodified time posted anywhere.

Thanks C2D for this excellent post!

Cheers,

AUSSLK55AMG
My run last year...

R/T .479
60' 1.983
330 5.441
1/8 8.262
MPH 87.25
1000 10.686
1/4 12.725
MPH 109.75
Old 01-09-2006, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
............i am still quite blown away by the awesome 60ft time. It brings me to the question of how he can imprve his time. I am not sure it will be so easy because his trap speed is a fuction of his HP which is not likely to change and he is driving an autmatic car so better shifting may not be pssible. Usually these cars are tractin limited meaning that pssibly imprving 60ft time is how to get better 1/4 mile time. With 60ft time of 1.7 in a rear wheel drive car, I'm not sure how much better it can be. Great time though

Ted
Old 01-09-2006, 04:46 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
What an AWESOME time!
AUSSLK55AMG
C&D in their review in the June issue had 1/4 mile at 12.7sec @ 111mph.

Also had the 0-60mph at 4.3sec.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by G55K
So...I guess that what you're trying to say is tha nothing is currently available?
That is exactly what I am saying.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Cubanite SLK55AMG
Geez..

12.7 sec for a bone stock car and a trap speed of 111....

Yeeeooouuuccchhhhh!!!!!

That's quick!

https://mbworld.org/forums/newreply....e=1&p=1421570#

https://mbworld.org/forums/misc.php?...=0&forumid=66#

I've noted that C&D figures are faster than any other mags - do they put rocket fuel in their cars or do they ham up the figures a tad - maybe to make the manufacturers prefer them to enable access to new vehicle releases earlier than other mags....

Just a thought. I see Dinko's car got the same qtr time but I think it's been modded hasn't it Dinko?

Wonder what my stopwatch will say later today when I get the car finally....

Yo,

JD
Old 01-10-2006, 01:43 PM
ON PROBATION

....I've noted that C&D figures are faster than any other mags - do they put rocket fuel in their cars or do they ham up the figures a tad - maybe to make the manufacturers prefer them to enable access to new vehicle releases earlier than other mags....
C&D is now always suspect to me in whatever they say -- or don't say....

Little Girl: "Do you think that advertising revenue drives what is said or not said in the media, Daddy?"

The Daddy: "Of course not Honey, the Media is only interested in telling the Truth and in portraying Facts in an objective way to Inform the Public. And I'll tell you another thing, My Little Pumpkin - Lobbyists and their Money do not corrupt our government or the way it does its Business for the People, either".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
(sick joke)
Old 01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
12.7 sec for a bone stock car and a trap speed of 111....

Yeeeooouuuccchhhhh!!!!!

That's quick!

https://mbworld.org/forums/misc.php?...=0&forumid=66#

I've noted that C&D figures are faster than any other mags - do they put rocket fuel in their cars or do they ham up the figures a tad - maybe to make the manufacturers prefer them to enable access to new vehicle releases earlier than other mags....

Just a thought. I see Dinko's car got the same qtr time but I think it's been modded hasn't it Dinko?

Wonder what my stopwatch will say later today when I get the car finally....

Yo,

JD
12.7 was when my car was stock.

Dinko
Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55
Stock

Was you car ever stock Dinko?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Hehe...

I only started modding it recently. My plan was not to keep this car. Back in Feb I was supposed to trade it in for a new SLK55 that was fully loaded. This one only came with 2 options... Later I changed my mind to a SL55, then a SL65... and recently decided to just keep this car, mod it up a little and will be purchasing another car soon -- IF business goes well, this board will be the first to know

Dinko
Old 01-11-2006, 12:08 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by C2D
On that run, the customer had a great launch with very little wheel spin. In order to keep the car in its sweet spot, he had to short shift it into 3rd in order to get it to hook up. It seems there is a 500rpm window on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in order to get it just right.
I just reread this post. You mention "short shift." So I gather the owner was driving in "M" mode. If that's the case, this is an even better time than I thought. To me, it seems pretty hard to shift better or quicker than the simply setting it in "S" mode. I guess with all that extra Kleeman torque, you can shift earlier and get away with it.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:03 PM
C2D

When the owner kept the car in S mode, the car would hang up around redline for what seemed like an eternity in gears 2 and 3. Again, I don't know if this has something to do with the 7G or all the added power causing problems with the transmission's computer or settings. Keeping it in sport mode resulted in 12.4s(again, the launch was not dialed in....we saw with DerekFSUs E55 that the launch technique had to be changed quite a bit based on his KLEEMANN mods, tires, etc.) From our testing, the SLK responded much better to "short-shifting" it as it kept in right in the heart of the TQ curve minimizing wheel spin in the lower gears. This car has so much power that on the street, with BFG drag tires, we can spin the tires all the way thru 1st, 2nd and midway thru 3rd. Its unbelievable how much power is put down. I truly think that once we get the customer a few more sessions at the track, he'll be able to become very consistent with his launch, his shifting and his times. It took DerekFSU quite a while to get a 10.95 in his E55 but he did it with a considerable amount of practice and experimentation.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
7G Tranny problems

Was curious if you talked to Kleeman about the tranny issues? I'm about to pull the trigger on the Kleeman setup for my SLK55 ... but the issues you've seen with the tranny concern me.

Regards,

Jesse
Old 01-11-2006, 12:36 PM
C2D

We've talked to them and it's hard to tell if the car does have a problem. When the car is driven normally or even at 3/4 throttle, it does not have a problem, it is only at full throttle in Sport mode and only sometimes. It really seems that the transmission is confused as to what to do. It may even be the drag slicks causing a problem. We don't have any other cars that are as full tilt as this one so I have not had a chance to test them to see if they are doing the same thing. The car is pretty much driven on the street in dyno mode all the time so maybe that could be a cause. Like I say, we haven't been able to compare it to any of the other cars yet and once we do, we will know for sure.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:39 PM

One question I have is what kind of super charger is installed in the SLK? Is it the MB blower for the 55K cars? The reason I ask is because that seems to me the limiting factor in the 55K cars now. A prime example is the cobra cars that swap to a KB blower. If you could strap on a Supercharger that can handle more air its a no brainer. I am really suprised no one has developed one yet. I would bet that the blower on the 55k cars now is not made by MB. They would source that out to someone else. Just like the turbos in the 600+ cars are probably KKK turbos or Garrett.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:45 PM
ON PROBATION

They're sourced. Ther are only so many turbo and supercharger manu's worldwide. If you hunt enough I know that the manufacturer is written up in tech articles that came out when the car was coming out as I've seen it...oh, about two years ago?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C2D
The car is pretty much driven on the street in dyno mode all the time so maybe that could be a cause. Like I say, we haven't been able to compare it to any of the other cars yet and once we do, we will know for sure.
Give it a try without having the car in dyno mode. I have heard stories where the car will respond in a sluggish manner while in that state. I hope the fix is as easy as that.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Originally Posted by C2D
When the owner kept the car in S mode, the car would hang up around redline for what seemed like an eternity in gears 2 and 3.
Funny thing is that this has happened to me plenty of times while tracking the car. Even when it was stock.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:48 PM

even my E55 will hang the gears alittle longer in sport mode. Maybe the Tranny shift points and time in the software need to be addressed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KLEEMANN SLK55K8 runs 11.7 1/4 mile!!!