SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

How to remove R171 front bumper cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 SLK 55 amg, 2002 CLK 430 Cab (hers), 1989 944 Turbo (sold), CLK 500 (sold), 125cc shifter kart
How to remove R171 front bumper cap

I found this on one other mb forum and thought it would be good to have it here as well (the other forum was a bit more difficult to navigate). I remove the bumper cap to get resprayed if I boneheadedly scuff it; generally once every two years. I am thinking of creating a small "skid plate" out of stick on side molding to help with the scuffing issue; where I stick a piece of molding under the bumper cap that takes the first initial impact. If it is small enough and strategically placed, it will not be noticed. Anyway....

The front bumper is held in place by four screws securing the grille (resist the temptation to remove these first), two bolts on each side attaching the side top edge to the fender, two sheet metal srews securing the plastic wheel well shield, and two nuts in the corners of the grille attaching the bumper to the frame. You also have to remove the plastic panels below the engine compartent. You do NOT have to remove the headlights.

Here's the steps to remove the SLK350 bumper w/AMG Package. The standard bumper and SLK55 bumper should be similar but may vary in some details.

1) Remove the first two plastic panels below the engine compartment. The second panel should be removed first. It is held in with six sheet metal screws with an 8mm hex head. The forward most panel is held in with seven of the same type screws.

2) Disconnect the side marker bulb sockets on each side.

3) Disconnect the fog light cable connector on each side. If you cut the zip tie on the passenger side it will be easier to remove and reinstall.

4) Pop the temperature sensor out of the rubber grommet in the bumper.

5) Remove the two screws on each side securing the plastic wheel well shield (10mm hex).

6) Remove the two 6mm bolts (10mm hex head) attaching the bumper to the front corner of the fender.

7) Remove the two 6mm nuts (10mm hex) attaching the bumper to the frame directly in front of the car. If you can figure out how to pop out the grille you can access these nuts from the front of the car.

8) Remove the four 6mm bolts holding the grille in place. Remove these last otherwise the bumper may fall off while you are under the car removing all of the other screws.

9) Gently work the bumper free.

Allot around 2.5 hours for this project.

If you remove the grille (AMG mesh style) be careful not to break the plastic retainer clips. Use zip ties or use string to create a make-shift pull tab. Then gently pry the clip upward with a small flat head screw driver whilst pulling the grill out one clip at a time.

Make sure to use jack stands for safety and label all your hardware to make the reinstall go faster.

Pics:
http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/sho...185/ppuser/313
Old 12-22-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK55
Thanks for the R&D. May I never have to complete the same.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 SLK 55 amg, 2002 CLK 430 Cab (hers), 1989 944 Turbo (sold), CLK 500 (sold), 125cc shifter kart
Another follow up. Make sure to take your time removing the plastic grill with the Mercedes star emblem. Pieces that look that come apart actually do not come apart. It simply slides on and clicks into place, but it is a very snug fit since it is designed to act as a mounting point as well to the frame. Careful not to break it; I'm sure it is hugely expensive...
Old 06-05-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 200
Thanks