SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350
Brake Question

We have had an 05 SLK350 for years and have decided to find a good condition 07 SLK55. We have found what appears to be a good candidate but the front brakes are an issue. I'm wondering if the prior owner (1 owner car) was hit with a $3,000 front brake job coming up and decided to trade the car in. The car is for sale at the same dealership it was sold new from. I've spoken with 2 used car salesmen at the dealership and neither knows much about the model at all. The front rotors are definitely 2 piece units. So I'm wondering if it had the optional higher performance AMG brake package. But, I have seen genuine MB rotors that are 2 piece even if the car had the standard AMG brakes. The front rotors have a significant lip at the outer edge so it's time for new pads and rotors.

I'm assuming the only way to tell what is on the car is to get the option codes? Please let me know where the code sticker is and I will have the dealer send me a photo of it and check for the optional brake package.

Are the optional brakes just larger or is their composition different as well?

We just don't want to buy a 24k car and have a 3k brake job if the car has the optional brakes.

Thanks all!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Two options on front brake:

1. 360x32mm two piece rotor
2. 345x30mm one piece rotor

This thread discussing different brake rotor sizes and possible upgrade for SLK55

Big Brake Advice

Hope this helps.