SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: SLS Prices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
I am looking at pulling the trigger on an SLS but have a dilemma.

Cab or Coupe.

I am starting a car collection (have a few other cars but decided to start accumulating

Love the car loved driving it.

I am a cab guy but from a collectibility stand point it seem clear to me the value of the coupe will grow exponentially compared to the cab.

From a pricing appreciation stand point how much less will the cab be worth in 5 and 10 years (in your opinion)?

I understand the concept of just get what you want and don't worry about pricing but this is not the point.

I also think the coupe is stunning. just that practically I love having the top down
Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
Coupe for collecting. http://www.afr.com/brand/luxury/how-...0160401-gnwlbz

Roadster for driving. http://robbreport.com/Automobiles/Ca...S-AMG-Roadster

Or I know a guy that bought one of each! Problem solved.

Numbers are getting soft now in the US with 120+ cars for sale ( I saw it get down to 29 cars about 15 months ago). I think the real good cars are going to be put away now and the "leftovers/drivers" are what will be hitting the market. I figure 5% up a year by 2020.

Last edited by NewportSLS; 01-24-2017 at 12:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dbesins (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
2011 SLS AMG coupe, 1997 Yellow/Blk Hummer H1, 2014 Monterey Blue SLS AMG GT roadster
Originally Posted by NewportSLS
Coupe for collecting. Roadster for driving.

Or I know a guy that bought one of each! Problem solved.

Numbers are getting soft now in the US with 120+ cars for sale ( I saw it get down to 29 cars about 15 months ago). I think the real good cars are going to be put away now and the "leftovers/drivers" are what will be hitting the market. I figure 5% up a year by 2020.

I agree with Newport. The lower mileage, highly optioned, well cared for cars are being bought up and put away into collections.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:42 AM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
'00 SL600
Originally Posted by dbesins
I am looking at pulling the trigger on an SLS but have a dilemma.

Cab or Coupe.

I am starting a car collection (have a few other cars but decided to start accumulating

Love the car loved driving it.

I am a cab guy but from a collectibility stand point it seem clear to me the value of the coupe will grow exponentially compared to the cab.

From a pricing appreciation stand point how much less will the cab be worth in 5 and 10 years (in your opinion)?

I understand the concept of just get what you want and don't worry about pricing but this is not the point.

I also think the coupe is stunning. just that practically I love having the top down
Both will go up in value but the coupe will go up more.

Right now - I'd say 2 identically spec'ed SLS (1 coupe, 1 roadster) have a spread of $15-25k in asking price. In 5-10 years, my guess is that the spread will be $30-45k in favor of the coupe. You'll still make money on a roadster, just not as much.

You could always drive the coupe around with the doors open. I've seen it done before.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
porsche 2017 991.2 TS,GTR amg gla 45 amg 45 amg ,ordering 2019 GTR R cpe
56`gullwing cpe

I had a 56` gullwing,silver-red..cpe...drove..doors up..short drives....
Old 01-24-2017, 10:29 AM

sl55
makes sense. I will get a coupe. I always wanted to add a Mercedes amg roadster (SL, SLS etc) I think they are great cars. Used to own an 04 SL55, long hood, practical (for a 2 seater) with truck space, convertible, relatively fast, and great looks.

I was surprise about how much more aggressive (performance wise) is the SLS to a standard SL63. I test drove it in the rain, and scared myself (and the sales rep) a few times.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
makes sense. I will get a coupe. I always wanted to add a Mercedes amg roadster (SL, SLS etc) I think they are great cars. Used to own an 04 SL55, long hood, practical (for a 2 seater) with truck space, convertible, relatively fast, and great looks.

I was surprise about how much more aggressive (performance wise) is the SLS to a standard SL63. I test drove it in the rain, and scared myself (and the sales rep) a few times.

Thanks for the info.
Post up when you get one!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
porsche 2017 991.2 TS,GTR amg gla 45 amg 45 amg ,ordering 2019 GTR R cpe
The SL hard tops/foldes into the trunk..space not so much...last 1 I had was 07 sl amg 5.5
No rag top either.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM

sl55
Originally Posted by NewportSLS
Post up when you get one!
Will do!

Just missed a 2012 4K mile silver/full red for 145K!!! only by a few hours.

Looking next best thing is:

2011 silver with red/black 8K for 165K

Anybody knows of a Silver / red low miles for a good price?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
2011 SLS AMG coupe, 1997 Yellow/Blk Hummer H1, 2014 Monterey Blue SLS AMG GT roadster
Will do!

Just missed a 2012 4K mile silver/full red for 145K!!! only by a few hours.

Looking next best thing is:

2011 silver with red/black 8K for 165K

Anybody knows of a Silver / red low miles for a good price?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Mercede...m=351957037314
Old 01-26-2017, 01:21 AM

'00 SL600
I'm a little leery of Chicago Motor Sales. I've read some not so positive things about them online / youtube. Tread carefully if you shop with them.

NB: They claim they've sold over $1 BILLION worth of inventory in their eBay ad for this car. C'mon, you sold 1,000 million dollar cars? Give me a fv*king break!!!

I guess that they have some "Alternative Facts" they'd like to share??
The following users liked this post:
tandan (01-26-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:01 PM

sl55
SO far best deal I got is 162K for a 2011, red/black interior. 8k miles. It is a 4 owner cars (may have been a few corp to personal which adds carafe owner but is not really a new owner).

What do you guys think in terms of value?
Old 01-28-2017, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
SO far best deal I got is 162K for a 2011, red/black interior. 8k miles. It is a 4 owner cars (may have been a few corp to personal which adds carafe owner but is not really a new owner).

What do you guys think in terms of value?
All depends on the options... list them here. Thx
Old 01-28-2017, 02:49 PM

sl55
I have just requested them but no BO sound (I can see from the pictures).
Old 01-28-2017, 03:15 PM

sl55
no CF interior but I like the retro look of the silver
Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 PM

'00 SL600
no CF interior but I like the retro look of the silver
Sounds like a pretty low spec SLS. The red exterior makes it tough to sell as well. For whatever reason, it's just not a coveted color and they take forever to sell. If you like the color though, that's all that matters. If that's the case, be ballsy and make a low offer - something like $145k - and see what happens.

There are plenty of examples for sale though. I'd wait for the one that checks all of your boxes and be prepared to pay-up for it. I wouldn't rush to get one at the lowest price in town to feel like you got a bargain. That's a fast track to disappointment.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 PM

sl55
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo
Sounds like a pretty low spec SLS. The red exterior makes it tough to sell as well. For whatever reason, it's just not a coveted color and they take forever to sell. If you like the color though, that's all that matters. If that's the case, be ballsy and make a low offer - something like $145k - and see what happens.

There are plenty of examples for sale though. I'd wait for the one that checks all of your boxes and be prepared to pay-up for it. I wouldn't rush to get one at the lowest price in town to feel like you got a bargain. That's a fast track to disappointment.

No the car is silver with red/black interior (sorry for the confusion).

It was listed just under 170K. a friend of mine wen to see it (car is 400 miles from me) the guys said he rejected an offer for 160K, so they both kind had an understanding that 162 was the minimum he was going to take.

It is also the lowest price listed car, in the what I think is the most valuable/collectible color combo for under 10K miles.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:46 PM

sl55
Also the car add a message that said "check oil pressure". the dealer missed it it was under stored message. not sure what it is and how to best handle it from a distance.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Also the car add a message that said "check oil pressure". the dealer missed it it was under stored message. not sure what it is and how to best handle it from a distance.
Without knowing anything but what you posted....I would move on to another car. Patience is a virtue when car collecting.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:23 PM

'00 SL600
Easy. Just have them include resolving the oil pressure light as part of the deal. I presume it's a MB dealership?

Can you post the link to the car? If we could visually review the car, we could give a better idea of value.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
I'm a little leery of Chicago Motor Sales. I've read some not so positive things about them online / youtube. Tread carefully if you shop with them.

NB: They claim they've sold over $1 BILLION worth of inventory in their eBay ad for this car. C'mon, you sold 1,000 million dollar cars? Give me a fv*king break!!!

I guess that they have some "Alternative Facts" they'd like to share??
I bought two cars from them, sight unseen - a Ferrari and a 911 Turbo. I honestly don't think it's difficult to sell $1B of inventory - it's 5,000 cars at an average of $200,000 -

Anyway, I had no issues with either car or the service they provided.

Just my $0.02

Erik
Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a few
Hi guys Im new here my name is soroush and I've been reading the forum for a few days lots of great info on the sls, I have begun my search as I have started to find them more and more appealing especially since the price drop although I too believe that the bottom may have been a year and half ago they seem to be on a slow climb back up so I would like to pick one up before I have to pay an extra "waiting tax". It was interesting to read about the argument of Ford GT, SLS and Z8,, I think the sis will definitely continue to climb unless or until mercedes makes another gullwing car. I also believe that the sis coupe will be immune to the typical depreciation. I was fortunate enough to have bought a ford GT back when they were near MSRP and a year later a second one. currently I'm looking for a sliver sis and Im trading my R8 to get the sis as the R8 is just aging poorly and I think the sis will be the opposite of that, as it ages I think it will become more desirable.

I have done some searching but couldn't find the topic so I apologize if this has already been discussed I was wondering if Mercedes will sell an extended warranty on a 2011 sis if you are not the original owner of the vehicle and or on vehicles no longer under the manufacturers warranty?
if not are there any other reputable company that might?
do the dual clutch transaxle clutches require to be replaced based on a maintenance schedule or as the wear out like a regular manual car?

any advice before buying and or answers greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:12 PM

'00 SL600
Originally Posted by soroush
Hi guys Im new here my name is soroush and I've been reading the forum for a few days lots of great info on the sls, I have begun my search as I have started to find them more and more appealing especially since the price drop although I too believe that the bottom may have been a year and half ago they seem to be on a slow climb back up so I would like to pick one up before I have to pay an extra "waiting tax". It was interesting to read about the argument of Ford GT, SLS and Z8,, I think the sis will definitely continue to climb unless or until mercedes makes another gullwing car. I also believe that the sis coupe will be immune to the typical depreciation. I was fortunate enough to have bought a ford GT back when they were near MSRP and a year later a second one. currently I'm looking for a sliver sis and Im trading my R8 to get the sis as the R8 is just aging poorly and I think the sis will be the opposite of that, as it ages I think it will become more desirable.

I have done some searching but couldn't find the topic so I apologize if this has already been discussed I was wondering if Mercedes will sell an extended warranty on a 2011 sis if you are not the original owner of the vehicle and or on vehicles no longer under the manufacturers warranty?
if not are there any other reputable company that might?
do the dual clutch transaxle clutches require to be replaced based on a maintenance schedule or as the wear out like a regular manual car?

any advice before buying and or answers greatly appreciated.
I have a silver over red 2011 SLS Gullwing with virtually every option & an extended warranty (has about 6 years left). Accepting offers above $239k.

From what I can tell, I was very lucky to be offered the extended warranty. The SLS was already out of original warranty when I purchased it in late 2015. Many others on the board have reported that it has been virtually impossible to get an extended or after-market warranties. There is a thread or two in this forum on the topic if you are a search guru...or just wait for NewportSLS to link you to the thread.

The SLS dual-clutch is from Getrag; same unit used in the Ferrari 458. There have been reported gearbox failures in both cars that required replacement but it is not common. The units have been scarce/hard to source but I think that was an aberration. Ballpark price I've heard if you have to replace it out of warranty is $20-25k. Again though, quite a rare event.

Last edited by Sandy Eggo; 01-31-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
I have a silver over red 2011 SLS Gullwing with virtually every option & an extended warranty (has about 6 years left). Accepting offers above $239k.

From what I can tell, I was very lucky to be offered the extended warranty. The SLS was already out of original warranty when I purchased it in late 2015. Many others on the board have reported that it has been virtually impossible to get an extended or after-market warranties. There is a thread or two in this forum on the topic if you are a search guru...or just wait for NewportSLS to link you to the thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...ranty-sls.html
Old 02-01-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a few

thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: SLS Prices