SLS/R197/C197 AMG: SLS Black Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 93 Octane ABC
Can't wait to see how the SLS Black series will do! It should be faster than the Lambo Gallardo LP560 and Ferrari 458 Italia from all speeds! Maybe even the SLR Mclaren?
As you know there was a thorough comparison of the SLR and the SLS in a recent edition of the STAR by the lucky fellow who owned both.

My takeaway was that the SLR was a track car for the street and the SLS more of an everyday driver that can be tracked. The latter is more forgiving overall, meaning all facets of driving.

Whether the BS should and will address this and how is an open question until we have a Top Gear comparo or some such.

Humorous comment: If you want a super car get a Lotus 97 (the one with the fan to suck it down in corners full throttle all the time, any line) the banned F1 car.

Last edited by grane; 10-19-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black
Originally Posted by grane
As you know there was a thorough comparison of the SLR and the SLS in a recent edition of the STAR by the lucky fellow who owned both.

My takeaway was that the SLR was a track car for the street and the SLS more of an everyday driver that can be tracked. The latter is more forgiving overall, meaning all facets of driving.

Whether the BS should and will address this and how is an open question until we have a Top Gear comparo or some such.

Humorous comment: If you want a super car get a Lotus 97 (the one with the fan to suck it down in corners full throttle all the time, any line) the banned F1 car.
That owner doesn't know track cars very well. The regular SLR is a dog on the track compared to what it should be able to do. 722 perhaps.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 PM

04 Crossfire MB 5.0L M113 V8 6spd, 05 Bagged SRT6w/55K AMG V8 ,2016 C300 Sport
I love the look! Unless I hit the lottery... I wont have one,..... But I can dream!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Carac
Well, I have one on order so I guess that means me. I wouldn't call myself affluent, just hard working and committed. I have been setting aside a portion of my disposable income for over a year and when I take delivery in Late March/Early April 2012 I will be putting a third or so down on it. Then financing the rest, so my payments won't change much from the CLK Black I have. I consider affluent meaning you're able to just walk into the dealer and cut a check.

The reason for moving to the SLS is that I'm single, child-free, and relatively young compared to most SLS buyers so Carpe Diem. The CLK Black has been a blast but it feels like I bought a Kentucky Derby race horse and only use it run errands, leisurely rides, etc. Kind of feels like a waste since I don't get to track it as much as I would like due to work. Also, it's rarity makes you feel guilty for putting dull interstate miles on it.

I've driven a SLS around Road Atlanta as well as on the street. It's a car I can see keeping for 10+ years and putting 100k+ miles on it (like I did with my E46 M3). I understand why they are doing a Black Series and fault no-one that buys one, but the regular SLS is enough for me. The CLK Black at 507hp already has enough power to get squirrely under WOT passing someone, and to break traction at 70mph on a damp surface if you gun the throttle.

I love the brutal and authoritative sound of the M156/157 engine. So much so that I find R8's, 911's, etc lacking in the powerful sound department. Don't get me wrong, they sound great, just not the same as a large-displacement AMG V8.

The only thing that really interests me about the prospect of the SLS Black is the wide-body. I love wide-body cars. Otherwise the standard SLS is everything I want in a supercar, including daft doors.
Great post. I enjoyed reading your perspective. Enjoy your ride when it arrives.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by dharrar
I read August West's comment about spinning the wheels in 1st & 2nd gear. Is this using race start? I am asking since aside of using RS I cannot spin my wheels, even from a dead stop. I did have the transmission control module upgrade done that largely eliminated the hesitation. But even with traction control off, the wheels do not spin. I will be interested in hearing more from him.
Are you talking about your SLS? If so, that seems really odd.

How wide are the rear tires?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
I can get why SLS owner may be unhappy because it is supposed to be the flagship car but I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. It won't be better than an SLR though, the SLR was just out-of-this-world, the engine sound, the look, the performance. The SLR is the best Mercedes ever made (I know it's McLaren and Mercedes).
Old 10-23-2011, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by e500slr
I can get why SLS owner may be unhappy because it is supposed to be the flagship car but I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. It won't be better than an SLR though, the SLR was just out-of-this-world, the engine sound, the look, the performance. The SLR is the best Mercedes ever made (I know it's McLaren and Mercedes).
I respectfully disagree.

If MB gets 650 hp out of the M157 NA engine, then I give them so much props. The feel of that power delivery would be more impressive to me than a blown engine. Plus, the engineering in such a feat is more impressive then getting that kind of power from a supercharged engine.

Plus, the SLR's nose has so much extra body hanging out front. Just seems unnecessary to me.

I have faith that a SLS BS would be the best MB ever made. All subjective, though.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM

335i
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I respectfully disagree.

If MB gets 650 hp out of the M157 NA engine, then I give them so much props. The feel of that power delivery would be more impressive to me than a blown engine. Plus, the engineering in such a feat is more impressive then getting that kind of power from a supercharged engine.

Plus, the SLR's nose has so much extra body hanging out front. Just seems unnecessary to me.

I have faith that a SLS BS would be the best MB ever made. All subjective, though.
650 HP OUT OF M159 AMG? the M159 is already the worlds most powerful naturally aspiriated V8, but that would be crazy.. A direct opponent to the 599 GTO.

the SLS also has alot of hood length.. not sure if you mean if the SLR has alot of overhang or something, but I think the design is much better executed.

btw has anyone read about the SLC? the inhouse AMG/ next-gen SL-based F599 competitor? love the idea of a Ferrari 599 with a silver star
Old 10-24-2011, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by 02Drunkenup
650 HP OUT OF M159 AMG? the M159 is already the worlds most powerful naturally aspiriated V8, but that would be crazy.. A direct opponent to the 599 GTO.

the SLS also has alot of hood length.. not sure if you mean if the SLR has alot of overhang or something, but I think the design is much better executed.

btw has anyone read about the SLC? the inhouse AMG/ next-gen SL-based F599 competitor? love the idea of a Ferrari 599 with a silver star
Thanks for the correction. I did mean the M159. My bad.

The SLR's front nose is just body material, and I'm sure it's for aerodynamics, but it makes it look really long and I'm just not with the design.

I was looking at one up close at a showroom and I was surprised by its construction. I gather the front end is made to reduce coeficient of drag. It just looks weird when you inspect it up close and you see the extra empty space up front.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
The SLR's front nose is just body material, and I'm sure it's for aerodynamics, but it makes it look really long and I'm just not with the design.
The long nose of the SLR is very necessary. McLaren wanted a mid-engine chassis for weight distribution, like with most of their cars, since that has been proven time and time again to be the best handling cars on the track. They mounted the engine in the front, but mounted it a certain distance behind the front tires to create a chassis that would perform up to their standards on the track. McLaren created the SLR with a front mounted mid-engine chassis. In addition, the long nose helps to excavate heat from the engine bay, and the long unique airbox helps create more airflow at higher speeds.

Keep in mind that AMG designed the SLS with the same type of front mounted mid-engine chassis, but McLaren's design is more aggressive.

My favorite SLR 722 GT video. Crank it up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZHnQ1DQJw
Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Havoc
The long nose of the SLR is very necessary. McLaren wanted a mid-engine chassis for weight distribution, like with most of their cars, since that has been proven time and time again to be the best handling cars on the track. They mounted the engine in the front, but mounted it a certain distance behind the front tires to create a chassis that would perform up to their standards on the track. McLaren created the SLR with a front mounted mid-engine chassis. In addition, the long nose helps to excavate heat from the engine bay, and the long unique airbox helps create more airflow at higher speeds.

Keep in mind that AMG designed the SLS with the same type of front mounted mid-engine chassis, but McLaren's design is more aggressive.

My favorite SLR 722 GT video. Crank it up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZHnQ1DQJw
Great post! Thanks for the feedback.

I'll watch the vid when I get home from work. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
The SLR's long nose and the overall shape is what makes the car unique. While I do agree the SLS is amazing and 650hp out of an NA 6.2 would be awesome I still think the unique sound, looks and performance of the SLR makes it the greatest Mercedes ever. It's so beautiful, not that I've driven one (would do anything to ) but I'd imagine the long bonnet would make it feel fast too, stretching out in front of you. It just has presence, the front is like a hawk or an eagle, very sexy, very aggressive and very unique. To each their own but for me the SLR is without a doubt the best Mercedes and in my personal opinion the best car ever made