SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014
View Poll Results: Would you get an illuminated star?
Yes I want an illuminated star!!!
20.00%
No way, its tacky!!!
80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: I sense other SLS owners may slaughter me for this...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLS
I sense other SLS owners may slaughter me for this...

I am thinking about getting the illuminated star for my SLS, I would want the star on along with the running lights. I know I know, some of you will say its tacky or too in your face. You know, for an CLS maybe its too in your face, or too much about showing off that its a Mercedes, but for an SLS can it really be more showoff-y? I think most people would just think it came stock with an insane gullwing anyway. I have photoshopped some pictures and attached them. This is because I cannot find any pictures of an SLS with an illumiated star. Either because they don't exist because nobody has done it, or maybe nobody has the ***** to put it online because of the fallout by other SLS owners. So if anyone actually did this post a pic...if I decide to do it I'm posting one.

I'm sure you guys have an opinion, so lets have it. Would you do this?
Attached Thumbnails I sense other SLS owners may slaughter me for this...-05_car_mercedes_tl310511.jpg   I sense other SLS owners may slaughter me for this...-2012-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-roadster-front-end-headlight.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
I think it will look good on the SLS
Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
I have yet to see a car with this option in person, so I have no idea how it looks on any model. Is it a dim glow, or much brighter like an LED? Ultimately, it's your car and I say do what you want
Old 11-17-2014, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Originally Posted by MercLA
I am thinking about getting the illuminated star for my SLS, I would want the star on along with the running lights. I know I know, some of you will say its tacky or too in your face. You know, for an CLS maybe its too in your face, or too much about showing off that its a Mercedes, but for an SLS can it really be more showoff-y? I think most people would just think it came stock with an insane gullwing anyway. I have photoshopped some pictures and attached them. This is because I cannot find any pictures of an SLS with an illumiated star. Either because they don't exist because nobody has done it, or maybe nobody has the ***** to put it online because of the fallout by other SLS owners. So if anyone actually did this post a pic...if I decide to do it I'm posting one.

I'm sure you guys have an opinion, so lets have it. Would you do this?
The fact is, you are right, most people won't know or care one way or another that this isn't an option on the SLS. Only MB folks like the people you talk to here will know. IMO, as a purist, I think this an awful idea on your car and an awful idea on the MB's they are currently offered on. I think you were on the right track when you cited the general consensus on these being tacky as f***. Try an exhaust if you want to be more "showoff-y."
Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll pass,different strokes....
Old 11-18-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
It's not as if it was a Corvette or a Harley. However, if you like it, Get it and don't think about anyones else opinion.

After all, you're not painting it psychedelic like the Beatles Rolls Royce.

Me, I'd pass. You will have to decide for yourself.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SLS AMG
I don't think it's ever been offered as an official option for the SLS. However, when I heard about it I'll admit I wondered what it would look like on the SLS.

There was an article in some auto magazine where the author rants about how tacky it is ... don't do it on any Mercedes, etc.

I'd have to see it before I did it. I think it might be kinda cool.

The new Hyundai Genesis has a light emitting from the side-view mirrors that casts the Genesis "logo" onto the ground next to the door as you step in/out. Tacky? Or a cool use of technology?