SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: SLS w/ light mods....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
SLS w/ light mods....

Haas anyone ventured to just get an ECU tune or an ECU/TCU tune for the SLS. Don't get me wrong, love the car...but finally considering doing some minor things to it. Had my 2012 'updated' to the GT tune several months ago and absolutely love the responsiveness.

1. Just curious if the Weistec Blk Series TCU tune would be worth it without me adding a SC etc

2. Curious if the Weistec or RennTech ECU tune by itself would add any noticeable performance at all.

Please let me know if anyone has done these things WITHOUT going for pipes/supercharger/headers etc. Don't really want to mod the car that much.

Thanks so much
Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
I tuned my SLS with RENNtech. I went from 490WHP to 515WHP, so nothing dramatic but, I will tell you the car really woke up with the tune. It feels more responsive and eager to go. I'm very happy I did it. Now I just have trouble keeping the tires under control from a stop, or low speeds.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo

We can help you out with the tune as well without the extra mercedes tax!!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:57 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
that body! damn!! more pix please

Old 11-22-2014, 10:32 AM

2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by ced357
I tuned my SLS with RENNtech. I went from 490WHP to 515WHP, so nothing dramatic but, I will tell you the car really woke up with the tune. It feels more responsive and eager to go. I'm very happy I did it. Now I just have trouble keeping the tires under control from a stop, or low speeds.
Thank you sir. I think I may do it after all. Didn't think there would be that much of a difference with the tires trying to break loose.

Now just to figure out about the black series tune. Has anyone driven both and/or written a review of their experiences with both here on the forum? Mainline car mag 'reviews' are too biased and overblown. Thanks again
Old 11-24-2014, 05:36 PM

S63
Originally Posted by BlkE63AMG
Thank you sir. I think I may do it after all. Didn't think there would be that much of a difference with the tires trying to break loose.

Now just to figure out about the black series tune. Has anyone driven both and/or written a review of their experiences with both here on the forum? Mainline car mag 'reviews' are too biased and overblown. Thanks again
man o man... first of all... im so jealous of your combo white on red.

secondly on topic, I bought mine and within the week i tuned the ecu and tcu tuned my car.

ETG Tuned - ECU Tuning Group. Owner Jags.

Majority of companies dont offer tcu which would be renntech i know for sure doesnt with any of there Mercedes Tunes which throws the tranny off by a mile, causes very very hard shifting.

My tires break loose in second gear kinda scary lol.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
EuroCharged by far does the best 6.3L. ECU tuning. Their ECU tunes are so good they actually help transmission performance as well without even touching the TCU. When you combine the two, it's a phenomenal package. The biggest difference between EuroCharged and the other tunes is Mid range torque. For whatever reason Eurocharges torque is always much stronger than the competitions and it really transforms how the car behaves on the street.

Other than tune, AFE ProDry air filter will be an added good touch. They will be freer flowing, makes a good 6-8hp and still filter much better than K&N filters (99.2% vs 98.6%) and the best part is you do not have to use oiled filters which will destroy your expensive MAF sensors over time (sometimes very quickly).

Other than those, reducing rotating unsprung mass is key. Lighter wheels, tires, brakes. If you have CCB you can't upgrade the brakes anymore, but if you have steel rotors you can get the rear 2-piece rotors. For wheels & tires to with the lightest widest setup you can possibly run. For tires, Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by hyperion667
that body! damn!! more pix please

lol there is a lot of pics on our facebook account and her instagram @ecsusan

Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
EuroCharged by far does the best 6.3L. ECU tuning. Their ECU tunes are so good they actually help transmission performance as well without even touching the TCU. When you combine the two, it's a phenomenal package. The biggest difference between EuroCharged and the other tunes is Mid range torque. For whatever reason Eurocharges torque is always much stronger than the competitions and it really transforms how the car behaves on the street.

Other than tune, AFE ProDry air filter will be an added good touch. They will be freer flowing, makes a good 6-8hp and still filter much better than K&N filters (99.2% vs 98.6%) and the best part is you do not have to use oiled filters which will destroy your expensive MAF sensors over time (sometimes very quickly).

Other than those, reducing rotating unsprung mass is key. Lighter wheels, tires, brakes. If you have CCB you can't upgrade the brakes anymore, but if you have steel rotors you can get the rear 2-piece rotors. For wheels & tires to with the lightest widest setup you can possibly run. For tires, Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
We build our tunes not just on the dyno but the street as well!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:14 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG

Thanks for the info. Seems that the info re: ECU tune from Eurocharged and Weistec are the exact same wheel numbers but Eurocharged has a better price. Will call both guys to discuss.

Looked for the AFE Pro Dry Filters and it seems that they are only for the SLS GT (2013) and newer SLS models. The ones for mine (2012) are some paper cheapies. I was not aware that the intakes changed that much since the SLS was released. If anyone can comment on that please let me know. Will keep searching for some good air filters. Did this mod on my E63 and it was a noticeable difference (especially in cooler weather).

As for some of the other things, will look at wider wheels and better design but truth be told, rather like the stocks that I have.... Anyway, thanks again
Old 11-26-2014, 08:17 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by SkforzaGroup
man o man... first of all... im so jealous of your combo white on red.

secondly on topic, I bought mine and within the week i tuned the ecu and tcu tuned my car.

ETG Tuned - ECU Tuning Group. Owner Jags.

Majority of companies dont offer tcu which would be renntech i know for sure doesnt with any of there Mercedes Tunes which throws the tranny off by a mile, causes very very hard shifting.

My tires break loose in second gear kinda scary lol.
Thanks. Red/black is pretty striking and am very happy I was able to get it. MBUSA told me no initially that they were going away from the white and imola grey exteriors with that color combination. I threatened to walk away and next thing I know it was approved Love it. Happy you are enjoying your tune. Seems there are many companies. Just worried about longevity and their willingness to fix things if something happens
Old 11-27-2014, 04:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This is the part # for AFE Pro Dry filter 31-10152(it's for Dodge Sprinter 07-12 V6-3.0L).
Hope this will help.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:38 AM

2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by cls55
This is the part # for AFE Pro Dry filter 31-10152(it's for Dodge Sprinter 07-12 V6-3.0L).
Hope this will help.
Thanks. will look it up
Old 12-02-2014, 05:33 PM

S63
Thanks. Red/black is pretty striking and am very happy I was able to get it. MBUSA told me no initially that they were going away from the white and imola grey exteriors with that color combination. I threatened to walk away and next thing I know it was approved Love it. Happy you are enjoying your tune. Seems there are many companies. Just worried about longevity and their willingness to fix things if something happens
Jags the owner is such a pleasant guy to work with if anything happens to the car itself cause of the tune or anything you have trouble with he's always on call willing to help his clients.

i first met him when i tuned my jaguar xj-l supercharged only one tuned in the world. His customer service was outrageously good. Give him a call you wont be disappointed
Old 12-02-2014, 05:34 PM

S63
Hope this will help.
that filter fits the sls intakes?
Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 AM

that filter fits the sls intakes?
Yes it does.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Yes it does.

seems the same part number is there for the '12 Sprinter and the '13 SLS GT. Ordered and received mine from Amazon. Putting in this weekend
Old 12-03-2014, 09:36 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Jags the owner is such a pleasant guy to work with if anything happens to the car itself cause of the tune or anything you have trouble with he's always on call willing to help his clients.

i first met him when i tuned my jaguar xj-l supercharged only one tuned in the world. His customer service was outrageously good. Give him a call you wont be disappointed
Sounds great. Do you have a pic of your wheels? I am intrigued by the specs. How wide are the rears? 325?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:46 PM

S63
Sounds great. Do you have a pic of your wheels? I am intrigued by the specs. How wide are the rears? 325?
haha...... 375/20/21!! lol
Old 12-07-2014, 04:39 PM

2012 SLS AMG
seems the same part number is there for the '12 Sprinter and the '13 SLS GT. Ordered and received mine from Amazon. Putting in this weekend

Tried to put my Pro-Dry air filters in today and they DO NOT FIT. Seems the part number is the one referenced here for the '12 Sprinter or the '13 SLS but it is about 2 inches TOO WIDE for the 2012 SLS. Unless I am crazy, there is no way to make it fit. AMG does have the goofy looking yellow and red-rimmed paper filters in there. Any thoughts? Seems I'll have to send these back and check with another maker
Old 12-08-2014, 07:28 AM

check it out.
Amazon.com: aFe 31-10152 Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: aFe 31-10152 Air Filter: Automotive
Old 12-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
This will fit a 2012?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:04 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Nope. Once you put in the year and model it'll say that it does not fit
Old 12-10-2014, 01:19 AM

S63
Nope. Once you put in the year and model it'll say that it does not fit
i went with a BMC
Old 12-24-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
Has anyone found a dry intake that will fit the 2012 model?