SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Potential First Time SLS AMG Owner. Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 G63
Potential First Time SLS AMG Owner. Help

I am considering replacing my 2015 M4 with a SLS Gullwing. Love the timeless styling of the car. I am thinking a 2012 that I can have Certified by my dealer, miles in the teens. Couple of questions:

1. Anything to look out for or avoid in terms of bad traits or issues?

2. Is Bang & Olufsen a MUST? I have heard mixed reviews and used to high end car audio

3. Are Carbon Ceramic brakes worth seeking out?

4. Would a 2013 be worth it or am I better off doing a TCU tune to get the improved transmission programming? I know there is a substantial price difference from 2012 - 2013

5. What should I expect to pay for a super clean SLS like described above?

Also, if anyone is trying to unload one please let me know. I am in SC/GA area

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
Originally Posted by JAGGED155
I am considering replacing my 2015 M4 with a SLS Gullwing. Love the timeless styling of the car. I am thinking a 2012 that I can have Certified by my dealer, miles in the teens. Couple of questions: 1. Anything to look out for or avoid in terms of bad traits or issues? 2. Is Bang & Olufsen a MUST? I have heard mixed reviews and used to high end car audio 3. Are Carbon Ceramic brakes worth seeking out? 4. Would a 2013 be worth it or am I better off doing a TCU tune to get the improved transmission programming? I know there is a substantial price difference from 2012 - 2013 5. What should I expect to pay for a super clean SLS like described above? Also, if anyone is trying to unload one please let me know. I am in SC/GA area Thanks!
1. I don't think there's any common issue with these cars or bad traits to look out for, just look out for how the last owner treated it...curb rash, worn seats, etc.

2. I have the BO sound system and am used to high end sound systems as well but j don't think it's worth it. Granted I haven't listened to music through the stock system in the sls but you'll find a lot of complaints about the BO. It's great for your music as background sound but if you like blasting music you will most likely be disappointed. If you find one with it great, but I don't think it should be a determining factor.

3. CC brakes I think are worth seeking out unless you plan to upgrade the stocks. The cc brakes, as on most cars, make a huge difference.

4. I would say go with a 2012 and take it in to get the TCU update from mercedes for free and see if you're happy with that. If not, look for a aftermarket tune. I don't think the price difference for the 13s is worth it for minimal differences.

5. For a super clean and well optioned 12, expect to pay in the 140s. Biggest issue is finding a well optioned sls, a lot are low optioned.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Tjandegi really hit the nail on the head. I have the B&O system and its very okay, not great. I have CC brakes and absolutely love them, they should be a must have IMO. I purchased a 2011 and received the TCU upgrade from the dealer and a RENNtech tune, now the car is another animal. I would suggest saving some coin and going that route rather than purchasing a 2013. I concur that you should expect to pay $140-$150k for a well optioned 2012 (MSRP $200k+).

Good luck, its a very fun car
Old 01-17-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS AMG 12' LeMans Red
1. Not much I guess if its from a certified dealership, we can say Mercedes has built them in good quality

2. I have them on mine, Sounds great, but once the exhaust starts playing it won't matter anymore..

3. I wish I had them in my car, CC brakes are huge upgrades for a car.

4. go for an aftermarket tune if you wish rapid fast shifts.

5. Sorry can't help, not in the US brother.

but I can tell you you're taking the right decision brother!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 G63
Originally Posted by Tjandegi
1. I don't think there's any common issue with these cars or bad traits to look out for, just look out for how the last owner treated it...curb rash, worn seats, etc.

2. I have the BO sound system and am used to high end sound systems as well but j don't think it's worth it. Granted I haven't listened to music through the stock system in the sls but you'll find a lot of complaints about the BO. It's great for your music as background sound but if you like blasting music you will most likely be disappointed. If you find one with it great, but I don't think it should be a determining factor.

3. CC brakes I think are worth seeking out unless you plan to upgrade the stocks. The cc brakes, as on most cars, make a huge difference.

4. I would say go with a 2012 and take it in to get the TCU update from mercedes for free and see if you're happy with that. If not, look for a aftermarket tune. I don't think the price difference for the 13s is worth it for minimal differences.

5. For a super clean and well optioned 12, expect to pay in the 140s. Biggest issue is finding a well optioned sls, a lot are low optioned.

Thanks for the great input everyone. Will be on the look out for a clean example with CC breaks.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:56 AM

sls gullwing, sls roadster, panoz esperante gtlm
I prefer the 13 model ... less common, should hold its value better. As far as options, don't bother on either the brakes or stereo. The color is more important from a collectibility perspective ... with Alubeam being the best. As far as the faster shifting transmission of the 13, I believe that programming to the 12 can accomplished. The frame is a little different on the 13 as well. The structural changes made for the roadster in 12, carried onto the gullwing. Mercedes cannot 'certify' an SLS, but can extend the warranty to 7 years, 70,000 miles. That being said, if you are buying one from other than a MB dealer, go to your dealer first and have them make certain the extended warranty can be extended to the particular serial number of the car. These cars are reliable.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:24 PM

2012 MB SLS
If you're interested, I have a black over tan 2700 mile 2012 SLS that I'm going to be posting for sale soon. You will absolutely love any model year SLS as it's unlike any car out there. I've owned an M6, an R8 and a few 911s but this car is just in another league. Not that any of us buy our cars for the appreciation value but I think they have hit the bottom of the curve and should only go up in value in the coming years.