SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Drivability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997TTS, GT-R
Drivability

I am strongly considering the new GTS, but I am concerned that the long nose might be a tad awkward to navigate/manage/gauge. I am used to cars with shorter noses.

The folks on this forum are obviously accustoming to driving the SLS with an even longer nose. Please give me the straight scoop and either placate or heighten my concerns. Is the longer nose awkward and/or hard to gauge/manage? Does it negatively impact drivability? Is it something that one quickly becomes accustomed to, or does it remain undesirable/awkward? Does anyone hate the longer nose (from a dribavility standpoint -- not appearance wise)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SLS AMG
The only real issue I have is the possibility of scraping the bottom of the nose on a cement parking block. So I always BACK IN to any parking space so I won't damage the front.

Otherwise... usually no problems at all.

I just happened to be in a building this month in which I have to navigate up a very tight, cement walled ramp - with a turn - in the parking garage. It is tricky because you can't see exactly where the front edge of the car is located when you go around the turn - and I REALLY don't want to make a mistake in this situation.

But in terms of driving... I didn't notice the nose at all when I started driving my SLS... and still don't. Easy to drive with respect to the nose.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS AMG 12' LeMans Red
the nose is one of the SLS design identity, it is also a very unique styling and surprisingly longer than RR phantom.

it is definitely will need time to get used to it, but not a hard thing to do. but once being used to sls nose, driving cars like a mp4-12c for example seems so easy and so small at the front..

but for drivability in us, yes the SLS can do it. no heating problems like the lambo's v12s, acceptable ground clearance, subtle ride and is something you will want to be in everyday, me at least.

Last edited by jason.kariatun; 02-22-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
After having it in my i8, I would KILL for surround view cameras on the SLS. Thankfully the SLS' parking sensors pickup objects fairly low they just drop off the radar when you get really close. For instance a concrete parking block. The radar will beep to about 2-3 dots out of 5 then completely drop off, that's when you know you're about a foot from object.

With it's length and seating position, the SLS is like driving a Range Rover from the back seat, so it does take practice to negotiate tight areas with it. I'm assuming the GT will be a bit easier, but will still take plenty of attention.