SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: need opinions of others

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C63s AMG, c230k
need opinions of others

Hey all, its been super long since Ive been on here, mainly b/c i sold my c350 a few years ago for a bmw x5m (sold now too) so dont hate me too much for that. Anyways im in the market for an SLS I am coming home in a few weeks and plan on purchasing one. Now as i have no experience with this car Id love some opinions on 2 I have in mind if you all would be so kind.

1) 2012 monza grey sls gt amg for $159,000 with 17,xxx miles
-concern are the milage, do you think that is high for this vehicle, more of a chance it could've been tracked etc..which I wouldnt want a car that has been.

2) 2011 LeMans red sls amg for $149,000 with 3000 miles
- its a 2011 not 2012 or a "gt" for that matter...

any thoughts? thanks all.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63
definition of GT?

if i know my sls GT only came out in 2014-2015 final edition...

2011 and 2012 really do not have many changes but maybe the updated shift knob. go for the low mileage
Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
I was in a similar situation when I was searching the market. Lots of 2011's with low mileage for good prices but no options. Options were pretty important to me so I ended going for 2012 with every single option and roughly 17k miles and I very happy I did. Are both cars similarly optioned? I don't think there's any difference between the 2011 and 2012 besides the shift knob. You can also take it in to get the tcu update for free which makes it more fun to drive and accept multiple downshifts. Just because the car was 17k miles, I wouldn't be concerned that it's been tracked. Just make sure to do a thorough ppi, I got two done from different shops. While 17k miles is on the higher end for these cars, I don't think it's excessive or concerning.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:10 PM

C63s AMG, c230k
Thank you guys for the response. I certainly do not know enough about the car to say if it were a GT or not but from what yoy told me I'm assuming someone just put that gt amg badge on the trunk.

From what I remember they're pretty much the same in options, the only real thing I wanted was bluetooth, I simply do not drive enough to need a lot ( 2 months a year). and thank you for your input on the higher milage, I guess I will have to test drive both, my go with lower miles but can't say yet.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SLS AMG
I prefer the red color vs. the grey.

Also, with so few miles (3,000), I'd want to pay $250 and get a mechanic to check out the car to see how much I might have to spend on maintenance in the short term. I'd be worried that it hasn't been driven enough to keep everything running smoothly.

Finally, I assume those are starting prices, not final prices. They are a little bit higher than they should be. I'd expect to buy for $10K less right now
Old 03-20-2015, 10:07 PM

C63s AMG, c230k
Good points, I was planning on having a PPI done before anything and red is starting to grow on me.

And you really think the prices are a bit high? shoot I was gonna try and neg on the price a little but if they are as high as you claim Ill go for more lol
Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Like others have said, I would chose the car with better options. Of course, lower miles are preferred, but this car is pretty bullet proof for an exotic. My wife daily drives our SLS with no issues. Be aggressive with your offer, I picked up my nearly fully loaded 2011 with 9,000 miles for $134k a year ago. Good luck.

Let us know how it goes
Old 03-20-2015, 11:07 PM

C63s AMG, c230k
Dang 134k, thats awesome!! Ya, ill post pics as soon as I am able, Ill be stateside in a few weeks, seems like an eternity and fingers crossed the one Im looking at is still there by mid April.

Hopefully it is, there is a benz/renntech dealership on the way home that id wanted to see about getting the tcu upgraded as well...but we shall see
Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 PM

I would be very aggressive with those prices. Unless the car had every option, I wouldn't pay more than 130 for a 2011 in today's market.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:40 AM

C63s AMG, c230k
thank you all for the input, not sure what options it has as it doesnt list them, says to call for more info but i cant call for a few weeks unfortunately :/ but for sure I will be very aggressive on the price now.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:34 AM

C63s AMG, c230k
couldnt really find anything on KBB b/c it says there has been so few sales they dont have data. but did find this, http://www.autoblog.com/used/car-val...amg_2dr_coupe/ with this and a few 2011's with similar milage and options printed out, hopefully Ill get a good deal.

in excellent condition its quoted between 124k - 126k for 3300 miles in 92064 area code with the standard options.

Last edited by TheMechanic; 03-21-2015 at 01:37 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-22-2015, 01:22 AM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Not that you're looking for this kind of input, but unless you're done contracting, an SLS sitting at home for 9-10 months a year is a hefty purchase. WPS/PSD money is trending down.. $130k is still a pretty big nut to crack. As tempting as it is (and hard to resist), buying one for quite a bit less once you can enjoy it full time is the way to go, IMO.

If you're going to continue to work overseas for a few more years, I'm willing to bet there will be a newer vehicle to tempt you once you're home for good. Then you can get full time use out of it.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS AMG 12' LeMans Red
second option all the way,
mileage seems sick, the color is not bad as well (im bias of course)

the power is monstrous, surprisingly agile and steerable with that super long bonnet...
fantastic looking car, smooth ***. sick 50cal amg soundtrack,..
trust me you will love it sir!

go for it!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:52 AM

C63s AMG, c230k
haha thanks everyone for all the input. I think the red it shall be! and yes Andy0331 you are correct as i am a contractor on a WPS contract, have been for quite many years (too many actually :/) and have saved and am able to purchase this car in full without hurting the bank. I have purchased several rental properties as a 2nd, 3rd and 4th source of income as well... Its my present to myself for missing out on all the birthdays, holidays etc and it wont be sitting in the garage while I am away, no worries, my fiance would drive it once or twice every other week just to keep the juices flowing,
Old 03-26-2015, 02:22 AM

C63s AMG, c230k
nvm, both were just sold! But have 2 others I saw, one out of state, the other about 2 hour drive. hopefully I have some luck once I get home.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM

Don't be afraid of looking out of state, the cost of a plane ticket and shipping might be well worth it!
Old 03-28-2015, 01:04 AM

C63s AMG, c230k
I hear ya, and Although I live in CA, i have a TX drivers license and would just get it registered there if i went that route and drive it back to CA. I had a horrible experience with shipping a car. Had a X5M shipped from FL to CA, they were a week late, paid for closed container...it was an open transport, had an extra 200 miles on the odometer and the front bumper along with the side panels above the rear tires were F*cked up, looks as if they went off roading in it. So never again will I have a car shipped.

on another note, Ive searched this forum along with youtube...to see how to remove the grill on the sls amg if any of you know a link or have done it, please share, thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:30 PM

That's horrible, my experience was pretty much the complete opposite. Bought mine out of state, friend of mine who is a dealer called his usual shipper, they picked it up enclosed 45 minutes later, received the car four days later, and the price was $200 less than the usual shipper I use who also needed at least a week to pick it up. I was shocked that they were able to pick it up that quickly and deliver within only a few days. Driving it back will be an awesome experience though, it's actually a comfortable ride (on good roads of course) and has a decent amount of trunk space (comparing to my R8 I dd prior). Keep posting what you're looking at, I'm sure you'll be able to find a good deal with some searching around.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:21 PM

C63s AMG, c230k
Dang, that is the complete opposite. I only kept the bmw for a few months before selling it, I hated looking at all the cosmetic flaws and just didnt have time to get it fixed.

There is a red one I found at a MB dealership in LA, it has pretty low milage, although interior is a tad bland and plain with no CF accents :/ i still like it.

I was looking at and audi R8 as well the v10 plus, grey with all the cf trimmings, sat in one and wanted to test drive it but they asked too much to test drive for the remaining time they were open. Is that common for higher priced cars, to ask for $10k down for test drive with last 3 years of tax info? Do any of you think MB dealership will ask the same, they didnt when I test drove the new CLA 45 amg, although its only $60k and they let me and my girl drive alone....never had that done before either. Ill have all that ready to go when I get back.

Also looked at the ferrari california, went to La Jolla to the ferrari dealer, very rude and ignored me, I stood there for 25-30 mins aaannnddd not even a hello. Eff that and them, so I started looking at Lambo of Dallas, and was almost certian I was going to buy an orange/black gallardo until I read more about the e-gear, that coupled with San Diego traffic, no thanks.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheMechanic
Dang, that is the complete opposite. I only kept the bmw for a few months before selling it, I hated looking at all the cosmetic flaws and just didnt have time to get it fixed. There is a red one I found at a MB dealership in LA, it has pretty low milage, although interior is a tad bland and plain with no CF accents :/ i still like it. I was looking at and audi R8 as well the v10 plus, grey with all the cf trimmings, sat in one and wanted to test drive it but they asked too much to test drive for the remaining time they were open. Is that common for higher priced cars, to ask for $10k down for test drive with last 3 years of tax info? Do any of you think MB dealership will ask the same, they didnt when I test drove the new CLA 45 amg, although its only $60k and they let me and my girl drive alone....never had that done before either. Ill have all that ready to go when I get back. Also looked at the ferrari california, went to La Jolla to the ferrari dealer, very rude and ignored me, I stood there for 25-30 mins aaannnddd not even a hello. Eff that and them, so I started looking at Lambo of Dallas, and was almost certian I was going to buy an orange/black gallardo until I read more about the e-gear, that coupled with San Diego traffic, no thanks.
I love the cf accents. They just add a little extra. Wish there were more for the exterior of the car. I had a custom cf spoiler made from a mold of my stock spoiler and love that too. I was looking at the diffuser/front splitters that some manufactures offer but they're way too expensive for what they are. Will probably wait to have a custom one made as well.

As far as the R8, it's a great car and very easy to dd. Lots of looks and people go crazy for it. I still have mine and love it...although it's currently in the shop after a track day at COTA. And for asking for $10k with tax history for a test drive...I would have slapped the salesperson for saying that!!! I've never been asked for any type of collateral or tax history. I was looking at the Maserati MC and the salesperson said they didn't allow for test drives because it was so rare...I laughed and said "so I have to buy the car to see if I like driving it?" Needless to say I didn't buy it from them lol.

I've noticed ferrari salespeople are usually arrogant...love the cars though. I've noticed the salespeople in Dallas are a lot more engaging and welcoming. Service advisors are a whole other story though.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:29 PM

C63s AMG, c230k
Hmm well with that, perhaps he thought I was just some punk kid trying to drive an expensive car lol, I only wear jeans and a t shirt unless Im taking my girl out. and as far as the ferrari sale people, there is no reason to act that way...sure they're great cars but at the end of the day, youre still a car salesmen and its your job to convince me to buy it.

Thats crazy as well, not being able to test drive a car before driving it......Audi told me something similar as well when i wanted to test drive the R8, along with the money and tax crap they said I had to sign an agreement to purchase and the $10k was going towards a down payment.....I was kind of shocked, what if I didnt like it....

YOu are right, the CF trim is really nice and id switch it or see how the vinyl wrap would look perhaps bc it is too expensive for what it is just like youve noted but if it will look crappy then ill stop being cheap and get the real deal.

I will def post up what other cars Im looking at, what are your thoughts on the white one with all the cf trim inside/out with the red/black interior in Houston...I think texas direct auto, they are asking too much esp for the milage, believe its about 16k miles for $150k, not crazy for the amount of miles but white is my first choice and love the interior as well.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
$10k to test drive the R8? That's insane!! Before I picked up my SLS I drove a bunch of cars including a new 2014 R8 V10. The salesman begged me to beat on the car, lol. I think it depends on the location, I look like I'm 21 years old and my wife has pink hair, not typical exotic buyers. However, this was in miami, you can never judge a book by its cover down here and they know it.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:32 PM

Never can judge a book by its cover in a salespersons position. I had the side blades of my R8 wrapped in cf and they looked okay but the real cf is just so much better and ended buying real cf ones after about 6-8 months of them being wrapped.

That white one at Texas Direct Auto was the color combo I thought I was set on. Absolutely love the white with red/black and all the cf! I ended up with imola grey and designo light brown, had every option including the cc brakes (which are great at the track) and the combo looks very classy. As far as price on that, I'd probably want at least $10k off. I'm extremely aggressive with pricing so I would probably look at offering in the low 130s but first I would ask them what "their best price is" and see how much they're willing to take off without you even saying a number.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 AM

C63s AMG, c230k
I thought it was insane as well, and being in san diego, id assume better. Guess they looked at my GTI and thought I cant afford it. Oh well, their loss. I may see how the cf wrap looks first before getting the real stuff and as far as the white one at texas direct auto, youre right, i will be super aggressive "if" i go there...Ive seen same year with less miles go for less, and its about a 20 hour drive back home. ive also read a TON of negative reviews on that place so Im a bit skeptical but we shall see. I really want the white, but red is my second choice. about 2 more weeks....I hopefully Ill be joining the sls club lol
Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
Just do it! I just got mine you won't regret it!! Then drive it up here to Newport and meet me for lunch!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: need opinions of others