SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Opinions Needed: Trade my Porsche GTS Cab for an SLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63 ed1 / 911 GTS Cab
Opinions Needed: Trade my Porsche GTS Cab for an SLS?

Hi Gents,

I currently own a 2012 GTS Cabriolet w/ the following specs:

-Carrara White
-Alcantara Interior
-6speed
-Center Lock Wheels (black)
-7900 miles
-PASM
*No Nav *No Sport Chrono Package

-I installed a Sharkwerks Exhaust but the car is otherwise stock. I understand it to be a desirable car in the future, however have not really looked into those authoritative opinions in regard to the future value of the car. I do know it makes me smile each time I drive it, and the overall feel of the car is great. I have babied the car to an incredible extent, only driven it in good weather (I live in NJ) and have all docs in regard to maintenance etc etc.

Recently a friend of mine (works at a local MB) let me know they have a SLS that was recently traded in. Its Silver/Red (hard top, gullwing doors), Black wheels. Around 4500 miles. He is an honest guy and stated that although the car fax report was clean, they did a paint survey and there is evidence of a repaint of *Left Rear Quarter* via paint meter reading. Otherwise perfect paint job, no evidence of any other issues etc. --Although he is my buddy and a very honest individual, it is my nature to further investigate and for sake of this post, lets just say the repaint is the extent of it. They are currently asking via the web $145,981

After this long winded post -- my question is this: What would you do? What price would you accept for the SLS? I am imagining I can push the price down due to the paint work on that L-rear quarter. What would you accept as a trade in value for my GTS? Am I nuts to even consider this??

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
I would trade in the 2012 for the new 2015 GTS. That car is stunning and ticks most of the boxes right from the factory.
IMHO if you are looking for a 2 seat sports/GT car the SLS is a bit....stodgy.
Beside the depreciation on Amg is killer, while 911's really hold their value.

Order the new GTS
Old 03-20-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
That's a tough one, the SLS is such a different animal. The SLS will garner more attention and give you that exotic feel, however, it might feel bulky to you coming from a tight nimble P car. My gut tells me if the GTS still puts a smile on your face then why move on. Test drive the SLS and see how you feel. The sls is not for everyone. Either way, both cars are fantastic and you can't go wrong.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS AMG 12' LeMans Red
surprisingly in here porsche's had one of the biggest depreciation in value,
simple, test drive the sls, how you feel,
i fell in love with mine every single time i drive it.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
Get the SLS. The exhaust note is enough to, well, enough to make the difference.

Zoom, Zoom. Whoops, wrong car.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:31 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by JohnnyM57
Hi Gents,

I currently own a 2012 GTS Cabriolet w/ the following specs:

-Carrara White
-Alcantara Interior
-6speed
-Center Lock Wheels (black)
-7900 miles
-PASM
*No Nav *No Sport Chrono Package

-I installed a Sharkwerks Exhaust but the car is otherwise stock. I understand it to be a desirable car in the future, however have not really looked into those authoritative opinions in regard to the future value of the car. I do know it makes me smile each time I drive it, and the overall feel of the car is great. I have babied the car to an incredible extent, only driven it in good weather (I live in NJ) and have all docs in regard to maintenance etc etc.

Recently a friend of mine (works at a local MB) let me know they have a SLS that was recently traded in. Its Silver/Red (hard top, gullwing doors), Black wheels. Around 4500 miles. He is an honest guy and stated that although the car fax report was clean, they did a paint survey and there is evidence of a repaint of *Left Rear Quarter* via paint meter reading. Otherwise perfect paint job, no evidence of any other issues etc. --Although he is my buddy and a very honest individual, it is my nature to further investigate and for sake of this post, lets just say the repaint is the extent of it. They are currently asking via the web $145,981

After this long winded post -- my question is this: What would you do? What price would you accept for the SLS? I am imagining I can push the price down due to the paint work on that L-rear quarter. What would you accept as a trade in value for my GTS? Am I nuts to even consider this??

Thanks for your thoughts
What year is the SLS? $145,981 seems like a bit much if you're looking at a '11-'13 with a possible collision/body work. Depreciation of SLS's on the whole is better than any AMG product ever, with some probably sitting at the bottom of their curves. Prices actually started going up a bit after production stopped last year. I've had mine for three years now and I'm going to keep it forever. It was the last large-displacement, naturally aspirated V8 from AMG. It's also way less complicated, port-injected, etc. than the new GT-S motor, sounds better, and will cost less to maintain in the long run.