SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: SLS, LP-560, Vanquish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shopping...
SLS, LP-560, Vanquish

I'm considering adding another toy or replacing my highly modded 997TT. Curious how the SLS drives and how it is to own.

1) What else have you owned and how does it compare?

2) What else did you consider and why did you pick SLS?

3) Can it suffice as the toy or is it too GT-ish?
Old 07-20-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SLS AMG
There are many adjectives I'd consider using when describing the SLS, but "toy" is not one of them.

I've owned 2 cars in my life. A Mercedes 190 which I drove for almost 100K miles. Then I went without a car in New York City for 10 years. Then I bought my SLS.

I've driven a few SL-500s and 550s. I could almost call them toys. But not the SLS. It's too powerful. Too artistic. Too unique. The SL's feel "smoother".

I didn't consider any other car. My father put the SLS cover story auto magazine down on the coffee table one day and I said, "Oh. I have to have one of those".
Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
It is a car that does everything well. No compromises. Daily Driver/Track Beast/Car Show Scene. 400 mile weekender with the wife or, drop panties at the club. Your call. Get the Roadster

Old 07-20-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shopping...
BTeasley, thanks for the response. No question its an awesome car. For many of us cars that are like artwork, powerful and exclusive are considered our "toys" - not in a derogatory minimizing sort of way; rather from the perspective of NOT being a necessity and something that gives us great joy.

Any others with perspective of SLS ownership compared to other such really special toys?

Last edited by Raron; 07-20-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Raron
For many of us cars that are like artwork, powerful and exclusive
See below

Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
It's always exciting to shopping for your next car I cross shopped the bentley super sports, audi R8 V10 and Ferrari Italia with the SLS. Without boring you with my impressions of each car, I will just say the SLS really seemed to hit the nail on the head. The Italia was a very close second (still on my short list for a next car) great gearbox, nice sound and fantastic steering input, but couldn't justify the $100k premium over the SLS at the time.

Aston Martin Vanquish: beautiful car!! I break my neck every time I see one of these. However, I've heard horrible things regarding their gearbox (I think the 2015 is improved, but not great). A shame as you can pick one up for just under $200k.

Lamborghini: love the looks of them, but again the single clutch is brutal IMO. I drove an Aventador for 45 min and felt car sick, that was a first as a driver also the interior was subpar for the money.

I would also check out the Mclaren 12C. I've never driven one, but have been in the passenger seat and I was very impressed.

Obviously, everyone is different, so go drive them all and good luck
Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63
lol this is such a no brainier.. SLS why? cause its a appreciating asset. lambo and aston is gonna get hit hard depreciation.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM

S63
Old 11-16-2019, 12:38 AM

2007 G55
I had the gullwing for years, Until it got tail-happy and crashed, I ended preordering what was suppose to be the predecessor (AMG GTS), initially, the car was fun but it felt childish and it didn't have that exotic gotta have it factor especially here in LA when the GT sightings became to often. I purchased a used SLS roadster 6k miles. best decision I could have made, love the car! The gullwing doors are cool but don't do anything for the driving experience and for the taller driver the cabin is too small in the Hardtop, the roadster also has a better feel on canyon turns I'm assuming less top weight. I just put add carbon lip, spoiler, skirts and did a resonator and secondary cat delete and man the looks and sounds are incredible! I'm looking to do the weistec ECU and TCU tune if anyone has any feedback on that tune would be appreciated

Old 11-16-2019, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Jackarutunian
I had the gullwing for years, Until it got tail-happy and crashed, I ended preordering what was suppose to be the predecessor (AMG GTS), initially, the car was fun but it felt childish and it didn't have that exotic gotta have it factor especially here in LA when the GT sightings became to often. I purchased a used SLS roadster 6k miles. best decision I could have made, love the car! The gullwing doors are cool but don't do anything for the driving experience and for the taller driver the cabin is too small in the Hardtop, the roadster also has a better feel on canyon turns I'm assuming less top weight. I just put add carbon lip, spoiler, skirts and did a resonator and secondary cat delete and man the looks and sounds are incredible! I'm looking to do the weistec ECU and TCU tune if anyone has any feedback on that tune would be appreciated

Jack come out to my car show! @supercarsbythesea on IG & FB next is tomorrow 11/17 & 12/15 toy drive CHiPs for KIDS at Huntington State Beach. David
Old 11-16-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Sorry to hear about the wrecked gullwing, but glad you're back in SLS club. As for ECU and TCU tune is concerned I have a RENNtech ECU tune and mercedes updated TCU tune from the factory. Combined it has truly transformed the car into what I believe the car should have been from the factory. I picked up about 25 WHP (It dyno'ed at 515 WHP post tune) but what I really noticed what the throttle mapping that was greatly improved. Its very predictable and linear. I'm sure Weistec offers similar results.