SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Tires (tyres)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
Tires (tyres)

I need to purchase new tires or tyres depending where you're from. Wondering what everyone is using?

Car comes standard with Michelin pilot supper sports (pilot sport cup 2 for black series) or Continental sp sport maxx GT but I'm thinking of upgrading to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's or Pirelli Trofeo R's. Anyone have any reviews for either?
Old 10-22-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SLS AMG
I switched to some Pirelli Z rated tires. Bought from tire rack, sent to a nearby shop, the shop put them on. Worked fine. The new tires feel softer (as expected). They might wear out faster, but that's ok. I don't go on race tracks, so no high performace testing. Also I'm in a fairly warm climate. So no cold weather problems to worry about.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:35 AM

I purchased the Trofeo R's about a month ago and finally got to install them...they are absolutely incredible. I've never been able to actually floor my car from a stop, and I'm assuming most of you haven't been able to either, but with the Trofeo R's slightly warmed up I finally was able to experience the thrill of that. The tires aren't great for bad weather but I usually don't drive it if the weather is bad anyways. Didn't test them on the track as they look so good fresh.

I had them installed at a local track and saw another black SLS and a matte gray black series. Saw a silver SLS at the dealership the other day...both of us were in the service line. I've only seen two other SLS in the Dallas area prior to this week.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Tjandegi
I purchased the Trofeo R's about a month ago and finally got to install them...they are absolutely incredible....Saw a silver SLS at the dealership the other day...both of us were in the service line. I've only seen two other SLS in the Dallas area prior to this week.
Glad to see you back on the forum SLS's are dime a dozen out here in SoCal! LOL. I know 8 owners and 2 or 3 ready to buy!

Where did you get the rubber!?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:34 AM

I thought they were a rare commodity out here but have seen quite a few this past week...I'm sure there are plenty more in garages. I actually was able to order through a friend who has a relationship with Pirelli via racing. I couldn't find them in stock online. Lots of websites show them but the few I tired to order were on back order.

My "old" tires have about 1/4-1/2 life left so I'm storing them at the track and will mount them back on for the next track day and burn through them before I try out the Trofeos on the track. I'll post some pictures once I can get it washed. Very aggressive looking