SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Extended Limited Warranty for SLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLS
Extended Limited Warranty for SLS

I am starting my search for an Extended Limited Warranty for my 2012 SLS. I am out of warranty in April. thoughts? Is it worth it? Cost? Can I get it? I am going to start calling dealerships today
starting with:
Mercedes Beverly Hills
Mercedes Laguna Nigel
Old 02-03-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
Worth it if something goes wrong. Start with calling Jamie of Elmbrook Mercedes. Best price after all of my searching. Below are his contact details. I purchased mine late last year and it couldn't have been easier.

Jamie Ruis
Mercedes-Benz of Elmbrook
262-821-5000 ext. 331
Old 02-03-2016, 03:00 PM

You can get it as long as you're the original owner or if you are not the original owner, the car has never been sold by a MB dealer.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I purchased mine in the fall at my dealer, the best I could do was 10% off. Really when you break it down, I think I worked it out to about $2500 per year for the next year. Any problems like a tranny and you in to 30K for a new one, the motor I dont even want to guess, any electrical etc is big bucks...so for now I sleep really well at night. Definetely worth it for the next while, and it is transferable.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Mercedes SLS
First Quote I got today. Same warranty as Mercedes, covers everything except wear and tear
5 years for 15k
3 years for 10k

That is a TOUGH pill to swallow. Its almost like a bet in Vegas, like betting against your car. By year 4 if nothing has gone wrong with the car I will feel like a moron. However if the tranny and engine blow out...I would smile ear to ear

Thoughts? Is it worth it at that price?

PS - I would not really smile...That would suck

Last edited by MercLA; 02-04-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:30 PM

Is that a Mercedes elw? Or third party warranty?
Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
Originally Posted by MercLA
First Quote I got today. Same warranty as Mercedes, covers everything except wear and tear
5 years for 15k
3 years for 10k

That is a TOUGH pill to swallow. Its almost like a bet in Vegas, like betting against your car. By year 4 if nothing has gone wrong with the car I will feel like a moron. However if the tranny and engine blow out...I would smile ear to ear

Thoughts? Is it worth it at that price?

PS - I would not really smile...That would suck
Im going to start looking for an aftermarket warranty. Since my car was sold from a MB dealer (I'm second owner) it is no longer eligble for a OEM warranty. I would love to know how that makes ANY sense!
Old 02-04-2016, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...y-pricing.html

There is an ELW available on the SLS, but the vehicle has to meet certain conditions and here are the details:

- A pre-owned SLS would only be eligible for an ELW only if it meets the following conditions:
o The customer purchased the vehicle privately or through a non Mercedes-Benz dealership AND
o The vehicle has not gone through a Mercedes-Benz dealer’s pre-owned inventory AND
o The vehicle is still under the new vehicle factory warranty.
----> Otherwise it would need to be a Certified Pre-Owned by the dealer and then it would be eligible for the CPO ELW.

if the dealer is unsure of the process they should call the WSG (Warranty Services Group)
William Vetter
Asst. Product Manager - AMG & Black Series
Exclusive Vehicles
Mercedes-Benz USA
Old 02-04-2016, 06:40 PM

Mercedes SLS
I got another quote. Mercedes Extended Warranty continues right after mine. So fully original warranty from Mercedes.

3 Years
$6600

That's a better price but still leaves me wondering. Is it really worth it? Can I trust the car to continue to be what it has been up until now? No issues. My biggest problem so far has been my door struts getting a tad weaker. I don't consider door struts an issue, especially since this is my daily driver
Old 02-04-2016, 06:50 PM

That's pretty much what I paid for the mb elw 7/75 last year. I think it's worth it...and the door struts are covered under the warranty. Had all of mine replaced because they were squeaking. Just a warning, mb does raise the prices for these elw. When I first started looking it was about $7k from my local dealer then six month later it jumped to mid $8k. Then I started calling around and got a good price from Jamie.

It's about $2,300/year so I think it's worth it, especially if you'll be driving it a lot.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tjandegi
That's pretty much what I paid for the mb elw 7/75 last year. I think it's worth it...and the door struts are covered under the warranty. Had all of mine replaced because they were squeaking. Just a warning, mb does raise the prices for these elw. When I first started looking it was about $7k from my local dealer then six month later it jumped to mid $8k. Then I started calling around and got a good price from Jamie.

It's about $2,300/year so I think it's worth it, especially if you'll be driving it a lot.
Exactly, that's the way to justify this. I frankly do not care if the extended warranty gets used or not, I would not feel comfortable with every hard acceleration or doing any sort of spirited driving knowing that I did not have an extended warranty. I think you are playing with fire. This car is not a Nissan 350, if some thing breaks or malfunctions on a discontinued super car, you are going to pay. And pay big.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by MercLA
I got another quote. Mercedes Extended Warranty continues right after mine. So fully original warranty from Mercedes.

3 Years
$6600
PM me the dealer please I might throw the $6600 at it. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E350, SLS AMG, Z8
I'm exploring third party extended warranties, my car's factory warranty expired last November, and I'll report back what I find.

Last edited by Edez mb; 04-29-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Edez mb
I'm exploring third party extended warranties, my car's factory warranty expired last November, and I'll report back what I find.
I am working on the same... mine is up in 2 months.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:11 AM

E350, SLS AMG, Z8
Originally Posted by NewportSLS
I am working on the same... mine is up in 2 months.
I briefly spoke with our local MB Service Advisor today, and he is going to provide me his feedback on 3rd party extended warranty providers on Monday. One dealership in San Francisco selling such products told me that Fidelity wouldn't provide coverage for an AMG vehicle. Stay tuned...

How far along are you in your research?
Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Quite a bit actually. I won't be able to post up until about Tuesday...stay tuned..
The following users liked this post:
Edez mb (04-30-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 01:03 PM

E350, SLS AMG, Z8
I briefly spoke with our local MB Service Advisor today, and he is going to provide me his feedback on 3rd party extended warranty providers on Monday. One dealership in San Francisco selling such products told me that Fidelity wouldn't provide coverage for an AMG vehicle. Stay tuned...
I should have mentioned in my last post too that my local MB dealership offers EasyCare as a 3rd party provider, but again it would not offer coverage for my SLS AMG.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Names deleted to protect the no so innocent. (These are all the top MB dealers in SoCal)

Just to clarify my car was sold to me non-CPO (I simply didn't know how CPO worked or that a car could have been CPOed)
See terms again below to qualify for a MB ELW.
There is an ELW available on the SLS, but the vehicle has to meet certain conditions and here are the details:

- A pre-owned SLS would only be eligible for an ELW only if it meets the following conditions:
o The customer purchased the vehicle privately or through a non Mercedes-Benz dealership AND
o The vehicle has not gone through a Mercedes-Benz dealer’s pre-owned inventory AND
o The vehicle is still under the new vehicle factory warranty.
----> Otherwise it would need to be a Certified Pre-Owned by the dealer and then it would be eligible for the CPO ELW.

if the dealer is unsure of the process they should call the WSG (Warranty Services Group)
William Vetter
Asst. Product Manager - AMG & Black Series
Exclusive Vehicles
Mercedes-Benz USA

Thanks for reaching out to us. I represent two providers (Mercury Insurance Group & Royal Admin) that offer coverage in CA and unfortunately, neither one of them offer coverage for the SLS AMG.  
Thanks again!

Hi, thanks for emailing.
I'll check into it. Not an easy car to get coverage for.

Good afternoon and thank you for the opportunity to earn your business. I can understand the disheartened feeling, especially with such a special vehicle as the SLS AMG. You are correct that your SLS does not qualify for a MB ELW. Both of my third party options that I have here, unfortunately do not offer warranties for the SLS. I wish there was another way around it, but unfortunately I don’t have that way.
Thank you again, and good luck with your warranty purchase.

Unfortunately, you are not eligible for any MB extended warranty, please see below;  To make matters worse, we don’t have a 3rd party options for your SLS either.

If you shop around, you should be able to find a 3rd party solution that is equal to what MB offers under certain circumstances.  We currently offer JM&A (Fidelity) and they won’t cover an SLS for some reason. It doesn’t make any sense, but that’s the way it is.
The SLS, now that it’s out of production, is steadily increasing in value.  Hold onto it and make some money.
Good luck!

I have cc'd my finance manager as he is the one who handles any ELW's for me whether it be aftermarket or MB factory.  I will have $%#@ look into the possibility of turning your vehicle into a CPO car which will require the vehicle to be brought up to spec.  I.e. Tires, brakes, etc.  I am not sure if there is a credible aftermarket warranty that will give you the coverage you are looking for as that is %^$# expertise.  He comes in the office at 12 today and will reach out as soon as he comes in.  Thank you.
My apologies for the delay and gap in response, I’ve had a few customers in front of me and wasn’t able to respond immediately.
If it were eligible for the new car ELW, yes, you’d be looking at approximately $9000. Unfortunately, the previous dealer who sold you the car sold the car as a non-CPO. This is where the problem comes from and why the costs involved are high.
Basically, in order for me give you 3 years of CPO warranty, I need to buy the car from you and sell it back. About half of the $20k is coming from taxes After calculating the difference between putting the car through the CPO process versus a 3rd party warranty, the cost difference isn’t enough where I would go with the 3rd party as the coverage isn’t as protective as the MBUSA CPO ELW.
I understand you don’t drive this car much, however, the CPO warranty would give the car unlimited miles and would only expire the warranty based on time.
To address your point on your concern about the transmission, I would add that not only the transmission, but anything else on the car that may fail/break in the future could pose a substantial repair bill as the parts for these vehicles are quite expensive. Most of us dream of owning a vehicle of this caliber, however, those few lucky enough to actually own one don’t desire to have the headaches a vehicle can produce. You spent a good amount of money buying the car already, you should be able to go out and enjoy it instead of worry about it. I believe most owners of these cars say something along the lines of "it’s not worth it if I can’t actually enjoy it". I understand we’re talking about a significant amount of money, however, broken down to the smallest increment, we’re talking about approximately $250/month.
Again, final decision is up to you on how you want to proceed. If you decide you want to run more accurate numbers to calculate what everything will really look like, we can schedule a time to meet and run the car through service and have them give us an estimate on what the costs would be in order to get the car up to CPO standards.
Best regards,

To confirm regarding Mercedes Benz Extended Limited Warranty, you are correct that we are unable to add the warranty.  But we do have a warranty through a third party called First Automotive that we can add the warranty to your SLS.  I have attached pricing and the brochure that shows coverage for the vehicle.  The Comprehensive is the highest coverage that they offer and is comparable with the manufacturer warranty. 
Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to proceed with the purchase.
Thank you,

Last edited by NewportSLS; 05-03-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:40 PM

E350, SLS AMG, Z8
Interesting collection of emails. We're receiving the same feedback on Fidelity, that this third party doesn't provide coverage on the SLS. In addition, EasyCare, Mercry Insurance and Royal Admin also don't cover our cars.

What is your impression of First Automotive? I have a follow up phone call with the SF Bay Area representative selling an extended warranty to clarify the shop rate provided. My MB dealership charges ~$200/hr, but the coverage appears to be only $130/hr.

Last edited by Edez mb; 07-27-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
First Automotive

Last edited by NewportSLS; 05-04-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, this isn't going as planned, but if you are pushed into the corner right now, the last option of 9k is the way to go. I had the transmission on my car replaced due to some malfunction that they couldn't figure out, so they ordered a brand spanking new tranny from AMG, the dealer showed me the warranty repair bill of 27,000 . SO this is worth it.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
The powertrain is the catastrophic liability on these so I wonder what Powertrain and or standard warranty in comparison is Newport? Also, what about say a 500 deductible?

That being said, My last two AMGs I spent 12k and it paid out 27k. No powertrain components. Still have a year on second car....
Old 05-04-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
'00 SL600
MB of Valencia sold me an aftermarket warranty through Safe-Drive (Safe-Guard is parent company).

I got 84 months / 75,000 additional miles for a tad over $5,900. This is their Platinum level (covers as much as possible, very little left out) coverage with a $100 deductible.

Looks like I got a killer deal compared to the quote from First Automotive.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo
MB of Valencia sold me an aftermarket warranty through Safe-Drive (Safe-Guard is parent company).

I got 84 months / 75,000 additional miles for a tad over $5,900. This is their Platinum level (covers as much as possible, very little left out) coverage with a $100 deductible.

Looks like I got a killer deal compared to the quote from First Automotive.

http://www.safe-guardproducts.com/protection-products/

Last edited by NewportSLS; 05-06-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
'00 SL600
Yep, that looks to be the right landing spot for the outfit. Thing is, as a consumer, I don't think you can just call them up and get a quote. Looks like a Dealership or Rep/Broker has to run the quote for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Extended Limited Warranty for SLS