SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: DCT special downshift mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
'00 SL600
DCT special downshift mode

I was cruising at about 65 mph in 7th gear (in Manual mode) and decided to test something I had been wondering about.

I applied the brakes pretty firmly while *holding* the downshift paddle towards me for about 3 full seconds. When I let go, the transmission engaged 3rd gear and let out a rev matching bark. I also noticed the rear spoiler had deployed as an extra "air brake"...which I half expected since I remember reading that in the owner's manual.

What I wanted to see was whether or not the Getrag DCT did the same thing as the Ferrari 458 (same model gearbox)...which is to say that it will automatically downshift to the best gear for the speed if you hold the downshift paddle while braking moderately hard.

As best I could tell, it did indeed perform the same 'trick' but I've never driven a 458. Anyone here ever driven both and tried to execute the special downshift mode?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS Roadster
It should downshift to the best gear even without you applying the brakes. I haven't done it with my SLS but I tried it with my CL and it worked.