SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Leatherique treatment SLS AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
Leatherique treatment SLS AMG

Well… after extensive research, I went ahead and decided to give the SLS the full Leatherique treatment. My leather does see a bunch of sun because; I actually like to drive the car! Hey … it’s sunny SoCal ... I got to drop the top! I am really doing the treatment to “survive” the future. My SLS’s leather really didn’t have any issues or, so I thought! I really wanted a product (and I have tried a BUNCH through the years) to penetrate the leather & keep it soft for years and years to come.
I used the 8oz bottles of the Rejuvenator and Pristine Clean. I started with one test spot first which went great! There was no color change and the leather was much, much, much softer. I dove right in and treated every leather surface in the Roadster (Seats, doors, dash, rear surround, glove box and armrest area).
If you aren’t familiar with the product you “condition” first and then clean. From the instructions:

HOW TO REJUVENATE YOUR LEATHER INTERIOR AND ALL ITEMS CRAFTED OF FINE LEATHER
Rejuvenating your car interior or any item made with fine quality leather is an easy process. Please carefully read directions before beginning application. Use protective gloves and eyewear.
Step 1.
Vacuum the surface of the upholstered piece or interior well or use a soft brush to remove large particles of dirt, paying particular attention to seams, folds, and cracks.

I pretty much gave it a quick vacuum and that was that. It wasn’t too dirty to being with.

Step 2.
Apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally (about 4 oz. per seat) with a Sponge Brush or your hands; massaging the oil well into all the surfaces and natural folds of the leather, this puts natural ingredients, not harsh cleaner, back into the leather and forces out dirt. You may also use a soft sea sponge, or a soft paint type brush. One of our Rolls Royce friends, Chuck Hull of Simi Valley, California suggests a spray bottle, which can be purchased at the local home center. Also apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally nearer the stitched areas as the conditioner will be able to migrate laterally well into the hide. Park the car in the sun with the windows rolled up to create a “steam room” for as long as practical, several hours or a day. (Allow the oil to be absorbed into the fibrous side of the leather before putting the top down in a convertible.) Direct sun is the worst enemy of any automobile interior or home upholstery. Do not place home or office leather upholstery in direct sun. For “cardboard hard” leather, several applications will be necessary. Patience will be rewarded with good results.

On a detailing website I saw it was applied with a foam paint brush. I bought 3 sizes and, the 2” brush worked best. I am glad I got the foam brush as it spread on evenly and quickly. I then went back over everything with my bare hands and rubbed it in (Rumor has it - its Sheep brains! Ha-ha). Where the brush couldn’t get into, I got to all those areas with my fingers. It took 2 hours to completely cover the inside of the SLS Roadster. I did everything outside of the driver’s seat and steering wheel so; I could pull it out of the garage and into the sun at 9am.

Here are some pics with the Rejuvenator applied:

I was very skeptical of setting it out in the sun for an actual “steam room effect” as the instructions stated. Well… I was wrong. Within 30 minutes, it “steamed” right up! I let the car sit out from 9am to sunset. Temp was 79F most of the day.

I checked in on it one time at 2:30pm with my temp gun.
It was 121F on the seat

177F on the dash! Smokin!

Step 3.
After the ph correct proteins and collagens from the Rejuvenator Oil have permeated back into the pours and fibers of the leather, strengthening and nourishing them, the surface may be tacky, sticky, gritty, or have a white haze. This is simply the dirt, grime, air pollution, perspiration, salts and other toxins that have floated out of the leather to the surface. Apply Prestine Clean by putting it in a Spray Bottle then wipe off with a SOFT lint free cloth. For tough dirt or vinyl or vinyl tops, brush the cleaner into the grain of the leather or vinyl with a soft bath brush or toothbrush. Let stand for a few minutes, usually by the time you are done with the next piece, and wipe the surface with a soft cloth Your car or upholstered leather piece will appreciate the “face lift” and will have the new leather smell restored. Prestine Clean will not remove the conditioner permeated into the leather. This process may be used on MB Tex vinyl areas to soften and condition. Even flexibility on rubber window trim can be maintained with Prestine Clean.

After about 11 full hours outside, I took a trash bag and laid it over the driver’s seat to pull it back into the garage. I was ready to wipe it down but, I didn’t get back to it until 3pm the next day. The first wipe with Pristine Clean revealed a PERFECT matte finish. It also revealed that no other cleaner I have ever used, could really get any dirt OUT of the leather. Until now! I really thought I had a perfectly clean interior…Wrong. I used PC sprayed directly on the microfiber then buffed with a thick soft cotton towel. It took another 2 hours to slowly and thoroughly remove.
Here you can see the nice matte finish:

This is the amount of dirt that came from the same small piece!

I had just cleaned and conditioned the car 2 weeks earlier. There is no doubt in my mind that it actually “floated” the dirt out.

Look at the door panel!

A couple Final Finish pics:

LEATHER FACTS
We strongly advise against saddle soap, as it has been known to remove the dye from the leather. Avoid products that contain petroleum or mineral oils, as they cause leather fibers to rot prematurely. Our cleaner and conditioner have a capillary action. The proteins, cleaners, and conditioners find their way deep into the pores of the leather and force out the dirt, perspiration, air pollution, unnecessary oils, and other toxins that destroy the fibers of the leather, destroying its strength and flexibility, and causing it to deteriorate. For tough, heavier stains, we do make leather cleaner to remove the stain from the surface of the leather. The remainder of the stain will need to be “floated” out of the leather with Rejuvenator Oil. Badly stained surfaces probably need to be re-dyed.

http://www.leatherique.com/

The real proof of how good Leatherique is this last photo. I had a “wear wrinkle” forming on the driver’s seat. There was tremendous improvement after one treatment! I think a few more treatments on just this spot and, it will be nearly gone. I will post up down the road when I get time to spot treat/rejuvenate this area. Take a really close look around that area too. You can see how other areas of the leather were basically “repaired”!

Before on the left & After on the right. From dry and wrinkly to smooth and supple!

Last edited by NewportSLS; 08-06-2016 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cls55 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well done....
Old 08-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
'00 SL600
I hope you were wearing rubber gloves. You know the secret ingredient in Leatherique is whale sperm, right?
Old 08-07-2016, 02:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
Wow! I'm ordering now. I have the same interior and have started to notice some "wear". My biggest concern with any leather treatment is it looking like someone sprayed a bottle of baby oil all over but the final product looks like factory matte leather.

Was there any concern about it being too hot when you leave it in the sun? It's about 100 everyday here in Dallas...
Old 08-07-2016, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo
I hope you were wearing rubber gloves. You know the secret ingredient in Leatherique is whale sperm, right?
Its definitely a better smell then Yak sperm.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Tjandegi

Was there any concern about it being too hot when you leave it in the sun? It's about 100 everyday here in Dallas...
In that kind of heat I would throw towels over the windshield. I certainly didn't expect to see the temps I got on a 79 degree day. The seats were 125 in the shade! I hope you got AC in your garage when you try to take this stuff off. It takes time. Use PLENTY of PC and NO water like suggested on other detailing sites. Final Buff with a super thick cotton cloth.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sls amg 2015
Great write up. Thanks for all the detail!
Old 08-23-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SLS AMG
Did you treat the large black "dashboard" with leatherique?

What about the 4 inch black panel on the top of each of the doors?

The brown leather needs to be treated, but I don't know what material the top of the doors and the dashboard are made of.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by bteasley

The brown leather needs to be treated, but I don't know what material the top of the doors and the dashboard are made of.
I treated everything. Those are leather too. Came out great!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cl 65
geeze im sold that looks great and definite difference
Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by bteasley

https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-gullwing/588625-eissmann-they-built-your-interior.html
Old 09-29-2016, 07:40 AM

SLS AMG
For anyone doing this treatment, take the advice on the label and apply "liberally". I had done it a few times with ok results, but this last time when I applied "liberally" the results were much better. So if you are going to do this, use plenty of the liquid.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
I used the entire 8oz bottle on the entire interior. It added some weight to the car and my quarter miles times suffered...
Old 10-01-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
������
Old 10-03-2016, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by cls55
������
Joking about the added weight the 8oz added to the car.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Leatherique is very good stuff. Just have to use it when it's sunny out. Next time, throw some large black trash bags over the seats to enhance the steam room effect.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Well caught a nice warm..ok hot ...SoCal day and I decided to bust out the Leatherique and do my once a year full treatment. Things I learned from last time to this.
1. Just applied it with my hands it turned the 2 hours it took with a brush to only one hour by hand.
2. I used more Prestine Clean then I did last time and it took off the Rejuvenator much quicker saving another 20 minutes or so. (Used microfiber)
3. I went back over the entire car with Prestine Clean and a soft cotton cloth and everything buffed to a flawless finish.
4. I used less Rejuvenator then the first time as the leather was still in fantastic shape from the first treatment. I had 2oz left over on an 8oz bottle. I will save it for an "emergency" or just do the steering wheel more often.
I tried some garbage bags on the seats as some detail guys suggest to enhance the steam effect. I cannot comment if that really worked with any greater results. The manufacturer doesn't recommend "bagging" it.
The results again are fantastic! If you have a car that sees the light of day... I highly recommend it!

Here are some before pics. I will shot some after's soon.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 SLS Gullwing
Anyone use Leatherique without leaving the car in the sun? My condo has underground parking so leaving it out in the sun isn't easy to do. Plus I'm in SF so it doesn't get that hot.

I bought a bottle of the stuff 6 months ago but I've been reluctant to use it in the fear that it won't absorb into the leather in the cool garage.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
I guess its hard to get a great pic of a finished leather project but, here's the final look. Leatherique just gives the perfect matte finish!

I just have to post this before and after pic from the first go around again. (Before on left) I have tried darn near everything on the market through the years but nothing has ever corrected/rejuvenated leather like this product.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Houdini
Anyone use Leatherique without leaving the car in the sun?
It will still have a positive effect. (email them and ask if you wish, too). Probably not as effective as steaming,

I did it on a warm, cloudy day in Florida. Outside for 1 hour, then inside when the rain was coming. Still worthwhile (probably 4 hours inside before taking off rejuvenator then pristine cleaning)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
How does leatherique smell?

i wanna do this on my E63S and 550i

great write up and pics, well done
Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
How does leatherique smell?

i wanna do this on my E63S and 550i

great write up and pics, well done

​​​​​​Thanks Man. "Each one teach one" I guess...

​​​​​​Smells like Walrus sperm with hint of spearmint.

Seriously though... the leather smells like it always has.