AMG Adaptive Suspension Option on SLS - MBWorld.org Forums

SLS AMG Gullwing Discuss the 2011+ SLS AMG Gullwing.

AMG Adaptive Suspension Option on SLS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 01-16-2017, 02:59 AM   #1

Drives: SLS AMG
AMG Adaptive Suspension Option on SLS

It seems when I talk to people interested in purchasing an SLS the Adaptive Suspension is the most misunderstood option on the car. I'm no expert but, I wanted to jot down (cut and paste ) the differences here. I am only familiar when this options occurred in the USA as far as model years go.

There was no Adaptive in 2011 Coupes (There was no Roadster in 2011)

There are two different AMG Adaptive Suspensions. One for 2012 and, one for 2013 and up GT cars. I will leave out the Black Series for now.

The 2012 has the most versatile suspension of any SLS with 3 settings
The 2013 has no Comfort setting. It only has 2 settings.

For 2012 New AMG Adaptive Suspension (Option 479)

The new Adaptive AMG Sport Suspension with electronically controlled damping is available as an attractive optional alternative to the standard AMG sports suspension. It enables the damping characteristics to be modified at the touch of a button. Using a button on the AMG DRIVE UNIT, the driver can choose his own suspension setup. Three modes are available: "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport plus". The current mode is shown in the instrument cluster.

"Comfort" delivers a sensitive response with soft damping characteristics, while in "Sport" mode the shock absorbers have a much stiffer response depending on the driving situation. This not only leads to better road contact, but also effectively suppresses body roll and pitching. "Sport plus" is ideal for challenging laps on a racetrack: in addition to the higher damping force, this mode comes with specific control algorithms that have been tailor-made for a sporty driving style. The new, variable suspension will also be optionally available for the SLS AMG Coupé in future.

You can easily see if a car has it by looking for a little shock absorber button by the AMG button as seen here in my car.

If the car doesn't have it, the button will show the symbol to raise the rear wing in its place. The rear wing button on the adaptive suspension cars is up by the radio. Look to the left of the hazard warning button here

Now for the SLS AMG GT Adaptive Suspension 2013 to 2015.

The 2013 SLS AMG GT suspension was not left untouched and also gets some performance improvements. The GT gets a new AMG Adaptive Performance Suspension setup. While utilizing the same twin aluminum wishbones all around, the new suspension features stiffer and more aggressive spring/damper tuning for a more aggressive driving.

The suspension features two settings, “Sport” and “Sport plus” which is the most hardcore setting for use on the track. The press release says the new SLS AMG GT will be able to deliver faster lap times on the race track than with the regular SLS AMG. All of this is achieved through a button on the AMG DRIVE UNIT that automatically reduces body roll.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by NewportSLS; 01-16-2017 at 12:41 PM.
NewportSLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 SLS Gullwing
On 2011, the C, S, S+, & M don't affect the suspension stiffness then?

Did they relocate the spoiler button on those cars?
Houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #3

Drives: SLS AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
On 2011, the C, S, S+, & M don't affect the suspension stiffness then?

Did they relocate the spoiler button on those cars?
Correct those are the transmission settings only, on the 2011. The transmission "dial" on all years doesn't affect the suspension.

The spolier button is by the AMG button on the 2011. All other cars with the active suspension the button was relocated to the dash.

I will throw this into this thread too. The 2011 had a track suspension as an added option.

However that was not an "Active" suspension.

Last edited by NewportSLS; 01-16-2017 at 08:11 PM.
NewportSLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportSLS View Post
Correct those are the transmission settings only, on the 2011. The transmission "dial" on all years doesn't affect the suspension.

The spolier button is by the AMG button on the 2011. All other cars with the active suspension the button was relocated to the dash.

I will throw this into this thread too. The 2011 had a track suspension as an added option.

Good to know. I saw some video reviews saying stiffness was adjustable via the transmission knob, but I guess that's not the case. Mine does have that track suspension option.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #5

Drives: '11 SLS AMG Gullwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportSLS View Post

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I cannot get my spoiler button to do anything. What gives? I've tried tapping it, press&hold (a few secs) and it doesn't seem to do anything. I'd really like to lower the wing when I'm just cruising on the freeway. Do I need to read the manual or something?

+1, I have the track suspension on my 2011.
Sandy Eggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I cannot get my spoiler button to do anything. What gives? I've tried tapping it, press&hold (a few secs) and it doesn't seem to do anything. I'd really like to lower the wing when I'm just cruising on the freeway. Do I need to read the manual or something?

+1, I have the track suspension on my 2011.
To get the spoiler up under 70MPH, you just press the button once. If the spoiler is up and you want to bring it down, you have to hold it until the spoiler is all the way down. It's hard to see, but the red light on the button will blink on the way down until the spoiler is all the way down. I'm not sure if you can lower the spoiler over 70mph.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Drives: '11 SLS AMG Gullwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
To get the spoiler up under 70MPH, you just press the button once. If the spoiler is up and you want to bring it down, you have to hold it until the spoiler is all the way down. It's hard to see, but the red light on the button will blink on the way down until the spoiler is all the way down. I'm not sure if you can lower the spoiler over 70mph.
Wouldn't surprise me if you can't lower the spoiler over 70mph. Remember the 1st generation Audi TT? They didn't have any kind of spoiler on the rear and were unstable at high speed (they took on the aerodynamics of an airplane wing...liftoff!!). "Ye kennot change the laws of physics, Cap'n" -- Scottie

Hey, I'm headed up to the Bay Area tomorrow (thru Fri morning), decided to drive the SLS. Let me know if you have time for a coffee!
Sandy Eggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if you can't lower the spoiler over 70mph. Remember the 1st generation Audi TT? They didn't have any kind of spoiler on the rear and were unstable at high speed (they took on the aerodynamics of an airplane wing...liftoff!!). "Ye kennot change the laws of physics, Cap'n" -- Scottie

Hey, I'm headed up to the Bay Area tomorrow (thru Fri morning), decided to drive the SLS. Let me know if you have time for a coffee!
I'll be up in Tahoe, minus the SLS of course.