Smart Car Discussion on the Smart Car.

smart car?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL
smart car?

I wasn't sure why this was posted, but since there is already a thread for it, thought I'd ask..
What does everyone think about those?
They seem pointless to me, because they are so small, doesn't seem like you could carry a suitcase in it.
does anyone own one?
Thanks.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Why didn't you post this question in the already existing thread?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
I don't see the point either. Except maybe in Europe where there is nothing else but little tiny hatch backs and sedans. I'd be too scared to drive one here in the US simply because, If you get hit in one.... your toast. I don't care what anybody says about crumple zones and all that, physics will take over. I think we all know what happens when you hit a mailbox in your 5000lb SUV
Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM

2007 Mercedez Benz CLK 63
I have to agree. I see no point to the smart car. They're too small to have anything or anyone in them. They also don't seem that safe. I guess it's not so smart after all...
Old 06-12-2010, 01:31 PM

2002 SLK32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by HighSpeed
I have to agree. I see no point to the smart car. They're too small to have anything or anyone in them. They also don't seem that safe. I guess it's not so smart after all...
I Don’t have a Smart Car (Smart Mercedes ART) but plan to get one! I find it interesting how all the comments seem to have been from folks who have probably not even seen one except in pictures. Much less driven one.

I’ll be the first to admit my first reaction was the same. The first time I saw a photo I thought ‘OMG it a rolling death trap” a rusty old VW Bug would crush it! This was based on my exposure to other micro cars, little Fiats, the Mini (I’m 6’4” and don’t fit) Isetta…..

Well then a good friend bought one. He usually drives a Land Rover or his SL55. He called one day and said “Don’t be mad at me but I just bought a Smart Car.” I said something like ‘What the F*&# were you thinking!!!!” He said he would be over and wanted to take me for a ride. I almost said “NO!!” But reluctantly said, OK. I planned to get all over him for wasting his money on such a piece of Sh&#!

When he arrived I immediately jumped his case about the car. He told me to shut up and listen. We walked around the car as he showed it off and told me about the features of the car. The storage behind the seats accessible from the rear hatch is very good for two people. Anything I wouldn’t/couldn’t carry in a Smart I couldn’t get in my SLK32 either. That’s why I also have a Land Rover. He opened the door and showed me the VIN plate, It looks just like the one on the SL55 and SLK32 except the info and VIN no. I guess it is a Daimler product also. Then I got behind the wheel. Well I was blown away! It’s VERY roomy. At 6’4” I have head room and legroom to spare, much more than in my SLK32!

We went for a drive, he drove. Well it’s NOT the peppiest thing on the road but probably no worse than the majority of what’s out there. The tuners are already all over it. I was surprised at how nimble it seemed to be. Definitely a great car for traffic. We drove everything from hilly back roads to the Interstate. It did surprisingly well, I was impressed. I then drove it. It was a blast. Reminded me of the MGB I drove in collage. It handled better and has more power. Kind of zippy, you can fling it about. We ended up at the local dealer. They have a cutaway of the car which shows the Safety cell, a high strength steel box containing the passenger area. The front and rear have the normal crush/crumple zones. I found it interesting that the bumpers seemed to be mounted high. I was told this was so they would be at the same height as most other vehicles. The other safety handling systems were; Electronic Stability Program (esp®), traction control, cornering brake control, anti-lock brakes, electronic brake distribution and brake assist. Just like a full sized car.

I looked on YouTube at the safety tests and was very surprised at how well the car survived intact including one into a wall at 70mph. The car got all top ratings from the Official Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Ratings and got 3,4 and 5 star ratings from the Official National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Safety Ratings. My insurance agent said it is not expensive to insure since the body panels are VERY easy to swap out and don’t ding/dent easily.

Well to sum this up, I’m not affiliated with Smart in any way and have no interest in their success or failure. I just don’t like it when what I think is a good special purpose car gets bashed/flamed, like I probably will for writing thisJ, by people who apparently know absolutely nothing about the subject, car or issue.

Like I said, I felt the same way until I actually looked at one and drove it. I do plan to pick one up used as a daily driver. (it gets more looks and comments than my SLK and MUCH better milage) All I can say is keep an open mind and go look at one and take it for a test drive. There are two ways to drive this car. Best economy or semi sporting. The first, don’t get your foot into it and let it do everything very blah and the way it shifts will drive you crazy. It's a very lazy shifter. Sporty, use the paddle shifters on the back of the wheel (yes it has them!). When you want to shift, lift your foot slightly and tap the paddle, then back on the gas. Just like you would speed shift a manual trans. It will shift rather 'Smartly". The Smart is an electrically shifted and clutched MANUAL transmission. Knowing this helps you know how to handle it for the results you what. You may like it, you may hate it. I don’t much care either way, just go try it with an open mind and report back.

Let the flames begin………………………..

Thanks,
Rich
Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rich W
I Don’t have a Smart Car (Smart Mercedes ART)

Always wondered where the SMART name came from. Thanks.
As far as people bashing them because they've probably never seen one in real life or driven one? Really? They are a dime a dozen in AZ. They have a ton of them lined up at my dealership in chandler Az.

No, I haven't driven one. But I sat in it, and I felt safer in a damned go-cart.

This was based on my exposure to other micro cars, little Fiats, the Mini (I’m 6’4” and don’t fit) Isetta…..
How fat are you? I'm 6'7", 220lbs and I fit in a Mini just fine.

I was surprised at how nimble it seemed to be. Definitely a great car for traffic.

So is a go-cart. Great car for traffic? When that yuppie driving his 8,000 lb expedition plows into your ****? uhhh. Great for traffic with all that power in reserves to allow you to get the hell out of the way? hmmm..

[/quote]We drove everything from hilly back roads to the Interstate. It did surprisingly well, I was impressed. I then drove it. It was a blast. Reminded me of the MGB I drove in collage.[/quote]

You wasted 40,000 plus dollars in College and you can't even spell the damned word? (sorry, you had that one coming, me being a non college (nor collage) educated individual)

It handled better and has more power. Kind of zippy, you can fling it about. We ended up at the local dealer. They have a cutaway of the car which shows the Safety cell, a high strength steel box containing the passenger area. The front and rear have the normal crush/crumple zones. I found it interesting that the bumpers seemed to be mounted high. I was told this was so they would be at the same height as most other vehicles. The other safety handling systems were; Electronic Stability Program (esp®), traction control, cornering brake control, anti-lock brakes, electronic brake distribution and brake assist. Just like a full sized car.
Well duh, it has to have as many "safety" components as can be stuffed into that car.

But with all of those high end safety components, they won't help you much when a truck runs into you. I'd post some pictures of a smart car that ran into a truck, but they are very graphic. Let's just say the driver ended up in 2 pieces, his spine attached to the lower half of his body. And it wasn't even all that high speed of an impact.

I looked on YouTube at the safety tests and was very surprised at how well the car survived intact including one into a wall at 70mph. The car got all top ratings from the Official Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Ratings and got 3,4 and 5 star ratings from the Official National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Safety Ratings. My insurance agent said it is not expensive to insure since the body panels are VERY easy to swap out and don’t ding/dent easily.
I find it ironic that no one ever tests cars that size against "real world" 3500lb cars.

Well to sum this up, I’m not affiliated with Smart in any way and have no interest in their success or failure. I just don’t like it when what I think is a good special purpose car gets bashed/flamed, like I probably will for writing thisJ, by people who apparently know absolutely nothing about the subject, car or issue.
Bashed? Flamed? No, there will be no such thing. We're merely having a discussion. You like the car, I don't. You pointed out the pros of the car, and I pointed out the cons. No need for uncivilized arguments.

Like I said, I felt the same way until I actually looked at one and drove it. I do plan to pick one up used as a daily driver. (it gets more looks and comments than my SLK and MUCH better milage)

Mileage*. And if you're worried about it, then you really ought to stop driving big engine cars. Most people that spend 100K plus for a car don't concern themselves about fuel economy.

All I can say is keep an open mind and go look at one and take it for a test drive.
I refuse to take that "car" on a test drive. Maybe through an empty parking lot...

Let the flames begin………………………..
See above

Thanks,
Rich
You're welcome.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:13 PM

2002 SLK32 ///AMG
Sathinis,

Well you are flaming in a sort of polite condescending way. Like I said, I don't much care; I buy cars for ME not anyone else. I stated why I liked the car. I offered why it I felt it was safe. And yes, it was tested against larger cars. By Daimler against other larger Mercedes. It did as well as the C and E did. Their crash dummies confirmed this. I know of one hit, while standing still, in the rear by a semi. It crumpled in the rear and was pushed along until both came to a stop. The safety cell did its job and the two occupants of the Smart opened the doors and got out. The trucker was sure they were crushed, they weren't.

No, I'm NOT fat and still bump my head in a Mini, Not the Smart. Not Flaming... "You wasted 40,000 plus dollars in College and you can't even spell the damned word? (Sorry, you had that one coming, me being a non college (nor collage) educated individual)” (No flames there...., personal attacks during debate are an indication that you have abandoned your argument and admitting defeat. Actually I spent a lot more, 2 bachelors, a Masters and working on the Doctors. Oh, don't put yourself down for not getting a higher education; I've employed lots of them.)

I don't NEED to save money on gas but I don't need to waste my money either. If you are that free with yours I'll send you the name of my bank and you can set up a regular deposit!

Fun, Safe and economical, that’s why I'll buy it.

Flame all you want this is my last reply to you.

Rich

Last edited by Rich W; 06-12-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rich W
Sathinis,

Well you are flaming in a sort of polite condescending way.

Perhaps. But at least I was being polite.

No, I'm NOT fat and still bump my head in a Mini, Not the Smart.

Hmm... I must have sat in a "Maxi" then. Still said "mini" on it though.

Not Flaming... "You wasted 40,000 plus dollars in College and you can't even spell the damned word? (Sorry, you had that one coming, me being a non college (nor collage) educated individual)” (No flames there...., personal attacks during debate are an indication that you have abandoned your argument and admitting defeat.
Oh, so just because I question your supposed College education in passing, you deduce that I'm admitting some sort of defeat? Wow... I wonder how you rationalize that.

Actually it was a lot more, 2 bachelors, a Masters and working on the Doctors. Oh, don't put yourself down for not getting a higher education; I've employed lots of them.)
Uh-huh. And your point is...? Most self-made millionaires don't have a college education. And most of those, you'll never know are such. Perhaps it's just my non College educated mentality, but "life education" beats a piece of paper just about every time, when it comes to making money. Of course, the determination and motivation has to be there.

Based on my personal observations, most "intellectuals" feel superior to someone who hasn't spent time in an institution of higher learning. Because after all, "you're" educated and "we're" not. These same individuals seem to sorely lack proper English writing skills. At least I have an excuse, I'm a foreigner and I haven't been to college. What's your excuse?

I don't NEED to save money on gas but I don't need to waste my money either. If you are that free with yours I'll send you the name of my bank and you can set up a regular deposit!
You don't NEED to save money on gas, but you'd rather not waste your money? Ok, I'll have you do some math, since I'm not college educated:

How much is a smart car?

What is it's fuel economy?

What is the fuel economy of your MB?

How long will it take you to pay off that smart car based on driving it instead of your Mercedes? Please factor in fuel costs for the smart car on top of purchase price.

Or, maybe you can have one of those non-college educated people you "employ" to do the math for you?

Fun, Safe and economical, that’s why I'll buy it.
That's fine. You go with your bad self and buy that bad boy. That way, I can point and laugh at you. Your right to buy it, my right to laugh. See how that works?

Flame all you want this is my last reply to you.
I think you're a tad sensitive. I mean, there are lots of big bad mean people on the Internet, but you shouldn't get upset over what they say. And I doubt it.
Rich
Poor - non College educated, non Intelectual.

Last edited by Sathinas; 06-12-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:24 PM

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t
i love stathinas =)

another thing to consider, 5.4 L / 100 km for two people and no luggage

many saloons can do 9.0/L for 5 people and their luggage and for around the same price
Old 05-14-2011, 10:30 PM

nano
Tein S tech Springs

Easy suspension tuning is in your hands. S - Tech was made so that everyone can enjoy sports driving. TEIN based these springs on original specification so that the installation is easy. Full compliance with car inspection, and great styling. Adding some more exicitement to your ride.. The highest quality brought to you at great JayDM prices. Now comes in two types to choose from.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
I like my Smart ED.
It has enough space for an overloaded cart from Costco.
It takes off faster than most cars
It's quite fun to drive
It costs about 1 cent per kilometer to drive
I saw a crash test with a Smart and an S-class and the Smart fared exceptionally well.

I bought it after I sold my CLK55
My other car is an E320, but I drive the Smart a lot more.