Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 05:06 AM
Wli

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W124 E280T , W211 E240
HELP! W124 transmission problem

Hello everyone,
Am new to the forum here.
I have a 1995-1996 w124 e280 wagon with a 5 speeds automatic gearbox. The car has 530K KM on the clock. It has been a great car and I love it. I have a problem that the car refuses to shift to higher gears, for example, it goes 80 KM/hr at about 3.5K rpm!
I felt the car shift up twice from still so I guess it doesn't shift after 3rd?
I tried pushing it 100KM/hr, put it in neutral and switched off the car, let it drop to 80KM/hr and switched it on again and put it in D. After few attempts it was able to shift up and drive normally, however the problem would come back again.
If I leave the car sitting for a day or two and take it out for a drive again, it drives normal and then acts weird again !

What do you think the things that I should check or the possible problems?

Thank you!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Based upon what you have stated, I believe that you need to change the conductor plate and all the shift solenoids.

The above assumes that you have maintained(changed fluid and filter) the transmission at regular intervals----if not try a good flush and see what happens, because if you want to waste money on guesses rather than get the transmission tested, doing a fluid flush is the cheapest waste of money!!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Wli

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W124 E280T , W211 E240
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Based upon what you have stated, I believe that you need to change the conductor plate and all the shift solenoids.

The above assumes that you have maintained(changed fluid and filter) the transmission at regular intervals----if not try a good flush and see what happens, because if you want to waste money on guesses rather than get the transmission tested, doing a fluid flush is the cheapest waste of money!!
Thank you Plutoe, actually the oil and filter were changed about a year and half ago and I was just thinking of flushing it anyway, I'll try going for the flush first and check the electrical connector and the conductor plate. The thing is the car is very hard to drive that way so I was just looking if someone had a similar experience to know what to start with.