Notices

HELP ME: 1972 W115 MB 220D valve dropped!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D
Exclamation HELP ME: 1972 W115 MB 220D valve dropped!

I wanted to adjust my valves and make sure the clearances were right but when I had adjusted one correctly, I moved to the next only to find out that I had been loosening it too much. The adjusting nut slid out as well as the lock nut. Once that happened I heard a metal ping noise like something dropped. I am fairly certain that the valve fell down in the cylinder head and I need help in what to do. Thanks
Old 01-14-2017, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
If the piston is close to top dead centre you may be able to retrieve the valve by the stem. It is worth a look anyway.

I have never had the misfortune to have this happen but here is a couple of ideas before you have to remove the head.
1.If you see the valve stem in the guide you may be able to rotate the engine in the correct direction ie piston moving up . Be careful not to bend valve .Don't use force.
2. Remove injector & see whether you can insert a made up tool to lift the valve head.

Some people used to use compressed air to hold valves closed whilst changing valve stem seals ect.

The very best of British luck.