W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks to the W210 AMG crowd....

Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F-350, 1999 E55 AMG, AMG Orphans Club International Member #118
Thanks to the W210 AMG crowd....

...I found exactly the problem I've had, the cause and the fix. Special mention to zayed, who guided me through it all, even though the post was three years or more old.

I had an undue amount of pressure in the fuel tank that would literally blow the gas cap out of my hand if I didn't prepare for it. As well, after about 2km, the car would start bucking like I had picked up water in the fuel tank. It was horrible to drive. And then in two or three days, all symptoms would disappear and car would be normal again.

Turns out it was the purge(?) valve under the hood, the one that says "MOT". I removed it from the car, did the cleaner thing to it, but it didn't work. Still no valve operation. I thought it looked like it might come apart, but it must be glued or sealed because I couldn't get it apart. But while trying to pry it apart, I noticed the little blob of silicone on the top of the valve. Off it came, and look, there's a screw, so out it came. It must work as a needle valve, because with the screw out, air would pass through the valve ports, like it was supposed to. Put the screw back in and played with the depth trying to find where it seemed to work best. Got it figured out, reassembled and re-glued, put it back in the car and wouldn't you know it, it works perfect. No more pressure, no more bucking, back to a perfect mbworld.

The only thing that I found that was different from the old post is that it was said that when you apply power to the valve, you should either hear it buzz or feel it "like a weak heartbeat". With mine, it did neither. It cycled for whatever reason, would shut off, then cycle again, and repeat. Whether this is how it's supposed to work or not, it helped with my problem. Will it last? Who knows, it works now.

So thanks again to all the contributors here, your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
glad you resolved the issue!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 e55
feels good to solve a problem like that!